fordhamfans.com
July 30, 2014, 05:03:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Transfers En Masse (not in mass, duh) at Duquesne

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transfers En Masse (not in mass, duh) at Duquesne  (Read 5469 times)
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2012, 09:45:22 am »

I have read of at least 3 to 4 transfers out of Duquesne, including TJ McConnell, Mike Talley and Jerry Jones.  All of them sophomores.  Some on the A10 board say they don't think Everhart will survive the week.

Also, if Everhart is shown the door, it will be interesting to see what happens with their recruits.  They have 4 coming in so far, with one more rumored.

6'9 Donovan Jack
6'3 Willie Moore
6'8 Shaheed Davis
6'2 Bryan Harris
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 11:39:04 am by ace93 » Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State

Social Buttons

Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 09:51:58 am »

Did anyone see this coming? 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 09:58:35 am »

I know I didn't and based on the reactions on the A10 board, it does not seem that many did.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
WalterVarian
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 10:10:37 am »

Any one of these guys players?
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 10:25:59 am »

Any one of these guys players?

we offered Jack - but so did most of the A10.

McConnell probably wants Big East
Report Spam   Logged
WalterVarian
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 10:48:12 am »

If a 16-15 or 15-16 team is having transfers god we must be as well... Even if it is 1 or 2.
Report Spam   Logged
Bronx Boy
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 11:03:43 am »

If a 16-15 or 15-16 team is having transfers, God, we must be as well, even if it is 1 or 2.
Nah, ... don't think so.  Coach Pecora's a good guy, ... besides, ... where would they go ?
Report Spam   Logged

Sports blogs often confuse stupidity with edginess.  Just because I can call someone a name, doesnít mean Iím insightful, or tough and edgy.  It just means Iím a jerk.  Itís a high tech place for what idiots used to do on bar stools, in school yards, and on gas station bathroom walls.
 - Bob Costas
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 11:39:31 am »

Forget the sophomores . . . two year sit-out to go to another A-10 school. Does the same rule apply to recruits if they've signed an LOI, but not yet enrolled at the school?
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 11:46:40 am »

Forget the sophomores . . . two year sit-out to go to another A-10 school. Does the same rule apply to recruits if they've signed an LOI, but not yet enrolled at the school?

Not sure who this was directed at, but I agree about forgetting the current players.

As for recruits, if they are let out of their letter there is no sit out rule.  The release makes the letter null and void, so I don't think they can control where the kid signs at that point.
Report Spam   Logged

John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 11:50:27 am »

The young core of the team seems to be transferring out. Everhart loses 3 kids a year to transfer -- a DW-like number. Sound like coach has worn out his welcome, but will the Dukes pay a 2-year, $900K payout?

Anyway, vultures are circling . . .

http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/2012/3/21/2889332/duquesne-basketball-ron-everhart-tj-mcconnell-ncaa-atlantic-10
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 01:57:17 pm »

I think our staff would accept Donovan Jack with open arms.
Report Spam   Logged
PeterMartin08
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 02:04:04 pm »

I think our staff would accept Donovan Jack with open arms.

If you liked Gabe Knutson in the tournament, you'll like Jack.
Report Spam   Logged
ramfan01
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 03:44:24 pm »

This is a big surprise to me.  You never know whats really going on with a team unless you are a part of it, but Everhart seams to have done a fine job getting the program back to respectability after they were in the dregs.  Shocking!
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 05:21:04 pm »

Really? And coaches can walk away whenever they want and start up right away.  The disparity is breathtaking.
Report Spam   Logged
El Jefe
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 05:34:15 pm »

Really? And coaches can walk away whenever they want and start up right away.  The disparity is breathtaking.

I think restrictions on coaches depends upon the language in their contracts.  When Rich Rodriguez left WV for MI, wasn't he forced to pay back a portion of a big bonus that he received for his existing contract?  Most schools will waive their contract rights knowing that the next coach they need to hire may be discouraged from applying if the school is seen as overbearing.  The big schools play by their own rules, however, and can make life miserable for a coach who wants out.  The small schools, such as Wagner, have no clout at the time of hiring.  I am guessing it is impossible for them to include a penalty clause in a contract or retain a coach who wants to go elsewhere.

As far as players are concerned, I believe someone mentioned that a school has invested a lot of time and money in their recruitment, plus tuition, room and board if they are already enrolled.  There has to be some penalty to keep kids from simply moving to a better team after they have had a good year or a coach leaves. 
Report Spam   Logged
ramfan01
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 08:01:09 am »

I know I didn't and based on the reactions on the A10 board, it does not seem that many did.

I love how people on the board are including Fordham as a measuring stick for the A-10, asking questions like, "Is Duquesne going to be kinda bad next year, or Fordham bad?"

Sadly, I don't know if I'll ever be able to retort to that one.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 09:25:09 am »

I love how people on the board are including Fordham as a measuring stick for the A-10, asking questions like, "Is Duquesne going to be kinda bad next year, or Fordham bad?"

Sadly, I don't know if I'll ever be able to retort to that one.

I hear you.  It bothered me, that's for sure, but every time I thought about replying I realized I did not have much to say.  Hopefully we can just hang on to that one and bring up next year when we are much better than expected.
Report Spam   Logged

In-The-Know
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 12:47:39 pm »

I think restrictions on coaches depends upon the language in their contracts.  When Rich Rodriguez left WV for MI, wasn't he forced to pay back a portion of a big bonus that he received for his existing contract?  Most schools will waive their contract rights knowing that the next coach they need to hire may be discouraged from applying if the school is seen as overbearing.  The big schools play by their own rules, however, and can make life miserable for a coach who wants out.  The small schools, such as Wagner, have no clout at the time of hiring.  I am guessing it is impossible for them to include a penalty clause in a contract or retain a coach who wants to go elsewhere.

As far as players are concerned, I believe someone mentioned that a school has invested a lot of time and money in their recruitment, plus tuition, room and board if they are already enrolled.  There has to be some penalty to keep kids from simply moving to a better team after they have had a good year or a coach leaves. 

Why should there be a penalty for kids moving on[there is already-a red shirt year] and not coaches?  And as far as I'm concerned, Ram fans should be more concerned about the disaster in progess on Rose Hill than another A-10 teams issues. I guess misery loves company.
Report Spam   Logged
Bronx Boy
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 04:22:09 pm »

... next year when we are much better than expected.
Huh ?

Report Spam   Logged

Sports blogs often confuse stupidity with edginess.  Just because I can call someone a name, doesnít mean Iím insightful, or tough and edgy.  It just means Iím a jerk.  Itís a high tech place for what idiots used to do on bar stools, in school yards, and on gas station bathroom walls.
 - Bob Costas
Stick
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 04:32:24 pm »

Huh ?

Well, it depends on what the expectations are.  But I think we'll win more games next year than we did this year.
Report Spam   Logged
Bronx Boy
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 04:45:08 pm »

I think we'll win more games next year than we did this year.
If we schedule bottom of da barrel 300 RPI teams in our OOC schedule, sure, ... we may be able to do that, but I don't see us improving our record in the A - 10.  The conference is simply too strong.  Where are we gonna win in conference ?
Report Spam   Logged

- Bob Costas
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 05:36:08 pm »

If we schedule bottom of da barrel 300 RPI teams in our OOC schedule, sure, ... we may be able to do that, but I don't see us improving our record in the A - 10.  The conference is simply too strong.  Where are we gonna win in conference ?

I don't know, but last year you were saying that we would not win any games in conference this season and we won 3.

And do note that you quoted only a portion of my sentence and while I likely could have structured it better, the "hopefully" in that sentence applied to the portion you quoted also.
Report Spam   Logged

Senior

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 07:11:38 pm »

Ah, that's because the coaches have contracts and representation and the players don't.  The coaches have jobs and the players don't, they are "student athletes." The last thing the NCAA wants is to recognize, in any fashion, that the players are working for the university. If they do, the whole thing falls apart. In the meantime, the coaches can negotiate or buy they way out of contracts and go on their merry way while the kids are stuck, and penalized.
Report Spam   Logged
joeb
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 07:53:48 pm »

Longer islander Tavon Sledge is transferring now from Iowa St (Hofstra anyone?) He was offered by rutgers and st johns last year among others as per nychoops.net
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 08:14:13 pm by joeb » Report Spam   Logged
Bronx Boy
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2012, 09:31:30 pm »

And do note that you quoted only a portion of my sentence, and while I likely could have structured it better, the "hopefully" in that sentence applied to the portion you quoted also.
Didn't realize I wuz quoting you, Nacho Libre.
Report Spam   Logged

- Bob Costas
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2012, 09:55:56 pm »

...And as far as I'm concerned, Ram fans should be more concerned about the disaster in progess on Rose Hill than another A-10 teams issues. I guess misery loves company.

There isn't a disaster in progress on Rose Hill.  We certainly had a not great year, but compared to the actual disaster that Pecora walked into I think "disaster in progress" is very much an overstatement, at least relative to where we were just two years ago.

Having said that, I concur with Ace's sentiment.  I want to defend Fordham from comments like "Fordham bad", but the truth is the facts are what they are.  We have been a perpetually bad to at best mediocre program.
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2012, 09:06:55 am »

Pecora is entering year 3.  Who is the best player that he has signed to play at Fordham?  Probably Kervin Bristol.     
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2012, 09:36:29 am »

Pecora is entering year 3.  Who is the best player that he has signed to play at Fordham?  Probably Kervin Bristol.    

I'd say the jury is still out on that one.  Don't get me wrong, I liked Bristol, but there are still several players on that team that I think have the potential to be much better.  They'll have the luxury of having 4 years to prove it though.  Even now I think one can argue that Frazier has been better for the team than Bristol.  I hate even going there though b/c they have both been valuable.
Report Spam   Logged

Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2012, 09:38:53 am »

I agree it is Bristol because of his consistency but Frazier is the best player Pecora signed when he is playing well, his problem this year was being consistent. Remember Bristol made a big jump between his first and second year.  If Fatty and Smith make similar jumps we will be a much better team in the back court.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2012, 09:41:25 am »

Bristol looked like he was in very good contition this year and I believe he lost that bulky knee brace too.  Nice player, too bad we can't have him longer.   I chose Bristol because I think its tought to get  real true center to be that productive. Not many of them out there these days.

What injury put Short on the DL?  Was it the original knee injury or was it the hammy, or a combo of both?

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: