fordhamfans.com
June 25, 2017, 01:25:45 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

The John Skelton Thread

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The John Skelton Thread  (Read 26333 times)
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2012, 05:18:40 pm »

Sources: John Skelton to start

ESPN.com news services

The Arizona Cardinals have named John Skelton as the starting quarterback for their season opener, sources told ESPN.com.

Skelton won the starting job over Kevin Kolb, who has disappointed since signing a lucrative contract to join the Cardinals prior to last season.

The Cardinals will host the Seattle Seahawks in their opener on Sept. 9.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 09:33:25 am by ace93 » Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball

Social Buttons

xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 06:05:20 pm »

Congrats John, make us proud!
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
JimboCBA72
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 08:13:34 pm »

About an hour ago, NFL Network had an interview with Wisenhunt and he confirmed John as his starter.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 08:26:48 pm »

Congrats John, make us proud!

I think he's already done that.   Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Ram 91
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 08:34:08 pm »

Kolb has completely unimpressed since going to the Cardinals.  Hopefully Skelton can do well over the next few games and cement himself as the #1 QB for the Cardinals.
Report Spam   Logged
ram64
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 08:40:30 pm »

Also saw that Steven Skelton was cut by the Cardinals.  Hopefully he will make the practice squad again.
Report Spam   Logged
Bronx Boy
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 01:12:35 am »

The Arizona Cardinals have named John Skelton as the starting quarterback for their season opener, sources told ESPN.com.

The Cardinals will host the Seattle Seahawks in their opener on Sept. 9.
If the Arizona front line can't offer Skelton more protection than they did last time out, the kid will be in trouble.
Report Spam   Logged

Sports blogs often confuse stupidity with edginess.  Just because I can call someone a name, doesnít mean Iím insightful, or tough and edgy.  It just means Iím a jerk.  Itís a high tech place for what idiots used to do on bar stools, in school yards, and on gas station bathroom walls.
 - Bob Costas
PeterMartin08
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 02:46:48 am »

NFL Starting Quarterback. It's an unfathomable accomplishment.
Report Spam   Logged

Any other team wins the World Series, good for them. They're drinking champagne, they get a ring. But if we win, on our budget, with this team... we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something. - Moneyball
tuckertomm
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 09:28:19 am »

Bronx Boy is right. The Cardinals gave up 54 sacks last year, second worst in the league behind the Rams. The O line stinks. Good Luck John.
Report Spam   Logged
bleedmaroon
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 09:28:33 am »

All anyone can ever ask for is a chance - John now has that chance.  I hope he makes the best of it and starts putting a portfolio together for himself.  He has a chance that most people dont have and he needs to show that he has the skills to lead an NFL team.  I know the situation isnt the best...and that the OL stinks...but does John get this chance if hes on another team? who knows....but these are the 'cards' hes playing with.  go out there, play hard like he always does..stand in the pocket and take some hits and hopefully show the Cardinals and every other team in the NFL that you can do it.  it doesnt hurt that hes got fitz and floyd on the outside - take advantage of them.  Make us proud John!
Report Spam   Logged
T1L
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 09:45:09 am »

All anyone can ever ask for is a chance - John now has that chance.  I hope he makes the best of it and starts putting a portfolio together for himself.  He has a chance that most people dont have and he needs to show that he has the skills to lead an NFL team.  I know the situation isnt the best...and that the OL stinks...but does John get this chance if hes on another team? who knows....but these are the 'cards' hes playing with.  go out there, play hard like he always does..stand in the pocket and take some hits and hopefully show the Cardinals and every other team in the NFL that you can do it.  it doesnt hurt that hes got fitz and floyd on the outside - take advantage of them.  Make us proud John!

Agreed. I think he acquitted himself quite well down the stretch last year, and did a good job (I remember the Philly win specifically) of utilizing his best asset in Fitzgerald as you said. If not for the organization wanting to have Kolb winning the job just to save face, I think Skelton would have been able to lock down the job much earlier.
Report Spam   Logged
Ramer
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 10:25:00 am »

Good luck and God Speed, John!
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 11:13:59 am »

Nice job, Mr. Skelton.  Well done.  This will be helpful with our football recruiting, and possibly in other sports too.  A nice thing to point to.
Report Spam   Logged
Vinseiro
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 05:42:28 pm »

NFL Starting Quarterback. It's an unfathomable accomplishment.

+1. 

Just a remarkable and inspiring story.

Best of luck, John, we'll be watching and cheering
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 05:45:02 pm »

Only 31 other people in the world will get the opportunity to start an oppening game in the NFL this year.  Awesome accomplishment.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 10:02:47 am »

Let's hope the Cards OL gets its act together and doesn't get John killed.  If he gets some time, he can make some plays.
Report Spam   Logged
B2Bomber
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 11:39:39 am »

Let's hope the Cards OL gets its act together and doesn't get John killed.  If he gets some time, he can make some plays.

An extraordinary opportunity for John and Fordham.   I am certain the announcers will be mentioning his Fordham credentials- academic and athletics.   

I am hopeful he makes a lot of eyebrows rise (from his impressive play and success) in the fans in attendance, the fans on television and around the NFL.

Well done, John Skelton! 
Report Spam   Logged
fordhamanhattan
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 12:23:45 pm »

A classmate of mine from 1974 had a recent opportunity to spend some time with John out in Arizona. John told him how thankful he was for having attended Fordham. He also mentioned that he intended to further his education at graduate school in Arizona, during the off season.
Report Spam   Logged
ZonaRam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, 04:40:08 pm »

Postings on the Cardinal's fan message board is that Steven Skelton has been picked up on the Cardinal's practice squad.  The squad should be announced tomorrow.  Steven had a good preseason but with four TEs ahead of him it was a long shot to make the team.  With that said, the Cardinal tight ends are injury prone and as the season progresses, who knows?
Report Spam   Logged
2ram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2012, 10:42:41 pm »

good luck john, no matter what happens you're already a winner and success.

kudos to brother stephen as well, practice squand and playtime in the big leagues is something to be proud of, and few will ever say they did.
Report Spam   Logged
bleedmaroon
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 01:31:54 pm »

Saw this today on cnnsi

Keeping the fingers crossed......

Non-Star Who Has Breakout Season
Byrne
John Skelton, Cardinals: The unheralded backup has quietly pieced together a clutch resume, with six game-winning drives in 11 starts, more than any QB in football at a similar point. He'll get his chance to shine early this year.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/09/04/nfl-predictions-2012/index.html#ixzz25WV5VXkg

Report Spam   Logged
Ram 83
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2012, 12:17:23 pm »

Not to mention, Arizona plays at the Jets on Dec. 2nd.  Provided John is still starting (and not in intensive care!), I'll be there!
Report Spam   Logged
ZonaRam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2012, 02:51:17 pm »

John was on the Dan Patrick show this morning.  You can listen to the recording at:

http://www.danpatrick.com/2012/09/05/john-skelton-talks-about-winning-qb-job-throwing-to-larry-fitzgerald/
Report Spam   Logged
Bronx Boy
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2012, 11:44:38 pm »

Let's hope the Cards OL gets it's act together, and doesn't get John killed. 
Amen, 71.

That is my major concern regarding Skelton as starting QB for Arizona.
Report Spam   Logged

Sports blogs often confuse stupidity with edginess.  Just because I can call someone a name, doesnít mean Iím insightful, or tough and edgy.  It just means Iím a jerk.  Itís a high tech place for what idiots used to do on bar stools, in school yards, and on gas station bathroom walls.
 - Bob Costas
shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2012, 11:49:14 pm »

Amen, 71.

That is my major concern regarding Skelton as starting QB for Arizona.
John found a way to go 6 and 2 with the OL last year. I hope he can do the same this year. Something tells me their OL will rise up with John behind the center.
Report Spam   Logged
fordhamanhattan
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2012, 07:40:49 am »

Bronx Negative Boy take your rosary elsewhere. John Skelton doesn't need your faux concern.
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2012, 08:11:52 am »

John found a way to go 6 and 2 with the OL last year. I hope he can do the same this year. Something tells me their OL will rise up with John behind the center.

Different personnel this year; lots of new faces. Hopefully they are better. Pre-season was pretty rough.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/20120904center-lyle-sendlein-arizona-cardinals-offensive-line.html
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2012, 09:20:25 am »

Bronx Negative Boy take your rosary elsewhere. John Skelton doesn't need your faux concern.

I share the same concern as Bronx Boy and I don't think his was faux.  That o-line leaves a lot to be desired, so the concern is valid.  It's a bit of a Catch-22.  Definitely wanted Skelton to start, but am concerned about what he'll be able to do due to the OL (and nothing to do with his own abilities).
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2012, 09:44:45 am »

Last year's left Tackle Levi Brown was injured for the year early in the pre-season, I believe.  That's why I fear that the OL may actually be worse than last year.  In that TN game, most of the trouble came from that left tackle spot. 
Report Spam   Logged
ZonaRam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2012, 08:56:01 pm »

Here is a nice article about John from Yahoo sports.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/cardinals-kevin-kolb-disaster-could-pay-big-dividends-163531798--nfl.html

Good luck to him on Sunday and to our Rams tomorrow night.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: