fordhamfans.com
August 18, 2017, 10:31:04 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Hurricane Sandy

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy  (Read 10410 times)
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2012, 10:57:12 am »

I hope all our posters and their loved ones are ok.  My neighborhood in Maryland came out mostly ok fortunately, but I know it's not the same for others.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State

Social Buttons

LXRF
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 03:47:49 pm »

Good to hear your family and area made it OK.  Manhattan and the city got hit by a near hurricane turning hard left from the warm jet stream pushing water into New York harbor flooding tunnels and returning the shoreline back two centuries. Throw in the exploading Con Ed generator on the East River and it was an anxious nght. NJ and LI especially hard hit with a long recovery expected. But compared to earlier big hurricanes of the 1930s, 40s, and 50's, where the loss of life was in the high hundreds, few people have died. Improved technology since those days have clearly made a difference.
Report Spam   Logged
shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 06:29:48 pm »

Power kine wen down 2 hoiuse up from me but we are ok. Con Ed may yake days to fix it. My interet cable is in front of my drive way and it won't be fixed until Wed or Thurs. Had to hold on for 45 minutes before getting through to Optimum. Yonkers FD did a great job Monday night. They were on my street at least 3 times, the first to block off the section of the st with the dpowned power line abd then to check and recheck the rest of the power lines. This was during the worst part of the storm. I work in lower Manhattan and power may be out for another week. I won't be able to remote in until my internet loine is replaced but still have cable on my TV. At least 20 loives lost in NYS, 3 in Westchester and I believe 6 in a fire in Quen or LI. This storm was as bad as expected. Damage estimated at $20 billionm It's fun trying to type on th small keypad on a BB9360.
Report Spam   Logged
jimbo65
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 06:28:13 am »

I have been very fortunate.  My place in Westchester uneffected, electric remained on along with FIOS.  My place on the bay in the northfork town of Southold got through okay.  An inch or so of water in the basement which has already been pumped.  Only the second time in over 50 years that the basement took water and the first time it took it from the bay.  The other time was actually groudwater which rose about 18" due to about 10 inches of rain in a 36 hour period. Electric and cable out, however, my road has a main feeder to Shelter Island for the electric so it has a high priority with LIPA. The priority only works if it is the main line that is out.  If your individual connection comes down you wait with everybody else & since 2/3 to 3/4 of all LIPA users are out, LOL.

Hopefully all our members and there families are safe.
Report Spam   Logged
B2Bomber
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 06:01:04 pm »

I am thinking about our large Fordham family in New Jersey which was devastated and also portions of Brooklyn, Queens, and Long Island.   

Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 10:25:40 pm »

Still no power but no damage to the home.  The lines to get gas are crazy since there are only a few stations open.  It is like a Mad Max movie or the lines in the seventies depending on your age.  
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 10:48:29 am »

The storm hit while I was on a business trip to Germany, where I remain. Wife reports no damage to the house, although electricity's been out since Monday. The shore areas about half a mile from my house, however, were absolutely crushed, with several people killed and more missing. Property damage in the hundreds of millions, no doubt. Folks in Europe are marveling at the devastation and praying for the victims.

Our office building in Lower Manhattan's closed for the week --- possibly longer -- as they work to pump water from the lobby and basement, and to clear out the South Ferry subway station that runs near the building. Firm's working remotely, best they can.  Coastal waters were the warmest at this time of year than at any time in memory, might have contributed to the fact that Sandy picked up speed and force as it hit land. Maybe we'd better start paying attention to global warming, or whatever you want to call it.
Report Spam   Logged
JCMB
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 12:48:09 pm »

Still no power but no damage to the home.  The lines to get gas are crazy since there are only a few stations open.  It is like a Mad Max movie or the lines in the seventies depending on your age.  

I live in North Jersey and had power throughout.  I don't know why because most of my town especially in adjacent areas did not have power.  My immediate neighborhood was like an island with electricity.  Many roads are closed though by downed lines and trees making it hard to get around.  I haven't attempted to drive out of a certain range from the house but I heard many gas stations and food stores had been closed and gas lines were horrible at those stations that were open.  My brother-in-law who lives 20 minutes further north of me said that he had no problem getting gas at 5:00am.  No line.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 02:49:53 pm »

Trees down everywhere in Stamford, CT. Houses on the shore are gone. Areas behind the Seawall (me!) are fine, those outside are not.

Trees and the Storm surge caused all the damage.

Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 05:11:05 pm »

If you live in NJ conserve your gas, it may be while until the stations open up and the ones that are open get more gas
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 05:34:31 pm »

Coastal waters were the warmest at this time of year than at any time in memory, might have contributed to the fact that Sandy picked up speed and force as it hit land. Maybe we'd better start paying attention to global warming, or whatever you want to call it.

Amen. The fact we are getting these violent storms more frequently than in prior years is not a coincidence, in my opinion. The sight of the waves and surge of water from New York Harbor coming over the wall at Battery Park was a scary and eye-opening image.
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 06:26:40 pm »

If you live in NJ conserve your gas, it may be while until the stations open up and the ones that are open get more gas
Same goes for Staten Island and Brooklyn, things are getting ugly in some spots

Thankfully we got through with minor damage but yesterday I went by the shoreline a mile or so from our home and you cannot believe how many boats are on the street as if they were toys thrown there by a child.  We also saw a SUV that was tossed on top of a fence15 yards off the street

The destruction is unbelievable
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 06:36:54 pm by SIram » Report Spam   Logged
Chicago Ram
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 08:06:39 pm »

Glad to hear you guys are ok - was wondering about all the Fordham faithful on this board!
Report Spam   Logged
B2Bomber
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 09:15:27 pm »

Despite the fact you piss me off, I am glad you are safe Rich. Grin
Report Spam   Logged
B2Bomber
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 09:17:45 pm »

Trees down everywhere in Stamford, CT. Houses on the shore are gone. Areas behind the Seawall (me!) are fine, those outside are not.

There is an elderly (60's)  woman I have known for 15 years through Jim Cramer.  Don't ask.  I have not heard from her.  Lovely lady near water in Conn.  I am concerned.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 09:37:15 pm »

How are things up High Ridge Rd. and towards that direction? I have some friends from when i worked/lived in Stamford that live up there that I've sort of lost touch with. Perhaps now would be a good time to reach out. I bet my old apartment on Shippan Ave. did not so so well or if it did it was fortunate.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Battering Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 10:26:38 pm »

Coastal waters were the warmest at this time of year than at any time in memory, might have contributed to the fact that Sandy picked up speed and force as it hit land. Maybe we'd better start paying attention to global warming, or whatever you want to call it.
not to nitpick but weather patterns tend to move slower when its warmer and quicker when its cooler.  the slow speed of Sandy one one of the reasons that it was so damaging.  also the direction of the winds helped back water up into NY Harbor in ways we have rarely seen not to mention that the storm coincided with a full moon so high tide was higher than normal.  These are some of the reasons that Sandy was more devasating than Gloria ('85).  Gloria had winds as strong as Sandy (even stronger when it passed Cape May), moved through the area quickly and hit at low tide all of which made it a less catastrophic storm.  Lastly, the position of the storm was key.  The fact that the NY metropolitan area was in the northeast quadrant of the storm was a huge factor.  Usually, hurricanes stay slightly offshore and most of the area is on the less damaging right side of the storm.  Unfortunatley, that wasn't the case here.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 10:41:15 pm »

Here is an intersting read which highlights a hurricane that hit the notheast rather hard.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/weather/hurricane/2006-11-19-plymouth-hurricane_x.htm

Not saying that global warming did not play a role in Sandy because I really don't know, but what happened is not exactly something new.
Report Spam   Logged

rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 10:59:59 pm »

Here is an intersting read which highlights a hurricane that hit the notheast rather hard.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/weather/hurricane/2006-11-19-plymouth-hurricane_x.htm

Not saying that global warming did not play a role in Sandy because I really don't know, but what happened is not exactly something new.

Interesting. But it's been a long time from 1635 and a few other examples. The increasing frequency of these impactful storms is what is concerning.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 11:14:14 pm »

Im not sold. I think they just seem to be making it up north a bit more than they used to. Notice that Florida did not get hit much in the last few years. I could be wrong, but I believe they are just tracking differently.
Report Spam   Logged

xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 11:57:08 pm »

How are things up High Ridge Rd. and towards that direction? I have some friends from when i worked/lived in Stamford that live up there that I've sort of lost touch with. Perhaps now would be a good time to reach out. I bet my old apartment on Shippan Ave. did not so so well or if it did it was fortunate.

The wooded parts of north Stamford are a disaster. But no one killed. Several homes in old Greenwich caught fire on Binney Lane like breezy point.  Surge was 2 feet higher than Irene. Irene passed directly over Stamford, I looked up the eye of Irene.

Friends trapped in their homes due to felled trees.  Big trees down everywhere. Tree down every 200 feet on the Merritt parkway.

I see lots of people buying motor oil for their generators, gas shortages severe since we have a special blend of gas for the area.  Many are told 10-14 days before power is restored. Only 5 crews working on power.  The power outages are severe and temperatures are dropping.

Amtrak dumping passengers at Stamford station where they get MNRR into NYC.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 12:10:06 am by xtey92a » Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2012, 02:39:08 am »

There is an elderly (60's)  woman I have known for 15 years through Jim Cramer.  Don't ask.  I have not heard from her.  Lovely lady near water in Conn.  I am concerned.

Actually, the one thing everyone can do is check on elderly neighbors. There are a lot of older, frightened folks in their homes who might need a hand with small but, under these circumstances, impactful things.
Report Spam   Logged
Battering Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2012, 10:08:30 am »

Im not sold. I think they just seem to be making it up north a bit more than they used to. Notice that Florida did not get hit much in the last few years. I could be wrong, but I believe they are just tracking differently.
In the 90's and the 00's, we had several near misses but it had been several years since a direct hit (Gloria in '85) and many have been saying that we were over due.  When you look back over time, you see that the NY area, LI in particular, have been directly hit by hurricanes more frequently than what we've seen the the last 25 years (hurricanes in '38 and '44, Carol in '54, Donna in '60, Belle in '76, and Gloria in '85).  Since Gloria there have been plenty of near misses but nothing direct until Irene.  History shows that we used to get hit by hurricanes more frequently.  We just through an extended lull and that lull may be over.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2012, 10:33:47 am »

Growing up in South Florida we had tons of near misses.  I recall some of the conversation then was that the pattern change and the (perceived) weakening of hurricanes was due to global warming.  Then Andrew hit South Florida like it had not been hit in decades and some said its strength was due to global warming also.  Part of the reason Andrew was so devastating, and I stress that it is only a small part, was b/c many did not take the threat seriously.  Decades of near misses will do that to people.  Being prepared won't avoid the most serious damage, but if you can shutter your windows or board them up you can avoid them getting broken, avoid big winds getting in and having your roof blown off.

I read that there is some controversy b/c the National Hurricane Center did not issue a hurricane warning for areas north of North Carolina.  They apparently expected it to lose steam and become a winter storm once it reach areas above North Carolina and the National Hurricane Center is not in the business of issues those type warnings.
Report Spam   Logged

ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2012, 05:00:00 pm »

I have been thinking of the Tubridy family.  Lots of Fordham in that family and many here likely remember Tom Tubridy who was a walk-on under Whittenburg.  They are from Broad Channel if I recall correctly.  Just heard from a friend whose cousin lost his entire house out in Broad Channel.  Here's hoping the Tubridy's and as much of our Fordham family is ok.
Report Spam   Logged

xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2012, 05:07:00 pm »

There are open gas stations around here in Fairfield County.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2012, 09:16:14 am »

I asked FU alumni on Facebook if any alumni or parents were killed, they have not heard anything.
Alumnus in Queens was mucking out his Moms basement, bunch of college kids showed up to help. They were Mormon missionaries.
Offers of beer and cola were refused politely.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2012, 09:22:41 am »

RIP Jack.......

http://twitter.com/G17Esiason/status/263440121460846593/photo/1
Report Spam   Logged
JCMB
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2012, 09:34:30 am »

How sad.  One of too many tragedies with this storm.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2012, 08:54:25 am »

Despite the fact you piss me off, I am glad you are safe Rich. Grin

Thank you I appreciate it. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print