fordhamfans.com
June 25, 2017, 08:20:04 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Hurricane Sandy

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy  (Read 10234 times)
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2012, 09:29:24 am »

How sad.  One of too many tragedies with this storm.
So sad, did jack go to Fordham?
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
B2Bomber
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2012, 09:38:17 am »

The wooded parts of north Stamford are a disaster. But no one killed. Several homes in old Greenwich caught fire on Binney Lane like breezy point.  Surge was 2 feet higher than Irene. Irene passed directly over Stamford, I looked up the eye of Irene.

Friends trapped in their homes due to felled trees.  Big trees down everywhere. Tree down every 200 feet on the Merritt parkway.

I see lots of people buying motor oil for their generators, gas shortages severe since we have a special blend of gas for the area.  Many are told 10-14 days before power is restored. Only 5 crews working on power.  The power outages are severe and temperatures are dropping.

Amtrak dumping passengers at Stamford station where they get MNRR into NYC.

I know the union thugs on this board will howl, but the reason power has not been restored in the area is not a shortage of qualified people.  Its about unions.    Power companies from the south (non union states) have offered to send in hundreds of crews.  Fact.  Turned away at the door.  Fact.   

Yes there are tens of thousands of downed trees and many fell on lines.  I get that.  But the wait time to get power restored could be cut in half if not more if they would allow crews from "samaratan states" to help them.   Its insidious and odious.

I hate unions. Evil
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2012, 10:03:11 am »

governor Christie addressed the union issue on Friday and made it clear that all workers are welcome in NJ to help restore power.  He addressed the issue with all of the power companies and made them state unequivocally that they will accept any and all help.  He stated if non-union workers were turned away he would issue an executive order and the power comapny doing so would regret it for years to come.  Christie has done a really good job with this even though my power is still out.

Now it seems to be a different situation in New York.  Cuomo has not made any such proclamation or threat regarding non-union workers and there are wide spread stories of non-union workers being turned away. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
JCMB
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2012, 10:05:56 am »

I know the union thugs on this board will howl, but the reason power has not been restored in the area is not a shortage of qualified people.  Its about unions.    Power companies from the south (non union states) have offered to send in hundreds of crews.  Fact.  Turned away at the door.  Fact.   

Yes there are tens of thousands of downed trees and many fell on lines.  I get that.  But the wait time to get power restored could be cut in half if not more if they would allow crews from "samaratan states" to help them.   Its insidious and odious.

I hate unions. Evil
Fact:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57544237/ala-utilities-our-crews-not-turned-away-from-n.j/

You can still hate the unions but please base it on facts - not internet rumors.
Report Spam   Logged
B2Bomber
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2012, 11:02:56 am »

Fact:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57544237/ala-utilities-our-crews-not-turned-away-from-n.j/

You can still hate the unions but please base it on facts - not internet rumors.

Thanks for that. But "internet rumors" were news sources.    Crews from Alabama and Georgia were reporting they were turned away or told not to come.   I didnt hear Gov. Christie asking crews from neighboring states or southern states to help...a call for more assistance.   

I am happy to defer to the truth but in this case I think its a mixed case, and confusion.    Perhaps truth to both sides of the argument.   

I just feel sorry for those in New York state and New Jersey and Connecticut who have lost power and have been told its going to be weeks to get it restored.    Not good.

Report Spam   Logged
JCMB
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2012, 11:49:46 am »

Thanks for that. But "internet rumors" were news sources.    Crews from Alabama and Georgia were reporting they were turned away or told not to come.   I didnt hear Gov. Christie asking crews from neighboring states or southern states to help...a call for more assistance.   

I am happy to defer to the truth but in this case I think its a mixed case, and confusion.    Perhaps truth to both sides of the argument.   

I just feel sorry for those in New York state and New Jersey and Connecticut who have lost power and have been told its going to be weeks to get it restored.    Not good.

Exactly - internet rumors started this by twisting some things around.  I first started seeing this rumor pop up on Friday night when I was doing some internet searches on Seaside.  Every one I saw was from some right-wing blog like drudge and breitbart which got my antenna going thinking this was the start of some firestorm based on a falsehood.  It just smelled funny.  Then my sister called me the next day (she says she only watches Fox News) and reported the "news" to me.  I told her I was suspicious about the report and was looking for some verification.  Ironically the union that was mentioned in the story is the IBEW in which her husband, an electrician by trade, is a card-carrying member (now retired).  A couple mainstream outlets had picked up on the story later on and were using the words supposedly and allegedly. Now we find out it was false.  
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2012, 02:13:10 pm »

So sad, did jack go to Fordham?

no, but he played on sundays with the group that i always invite people to here....along with the esiasons....
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 02:19:50 pm by 85 » Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2012, 07:00:41 pm »

not sure about NYC but in my parents town alone, we saw crews from Ohion and Penn. In fact, they are the ones that got our power back on.
Report Spam   Logged
B2Bomber
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2012, 09:46:20 pm »

Exactly - internet rumors started this by twisting some things around.  I first started seeing this rumor pop up on Friday night when I was doing some internet searches on Seaside.  Every one I saw was from some right-wing blog like drudge and breitbart which got my antenna going thinking this was the start of some firestorm based on a falsehood.  It just smelled funny.  Then my sister called me the next day (she says she only watches Fox News) and reported the "news" to me.  I told her I was suspicious about the report and was looking for some verification.  Ironically the union that was mentioned in the story is the IBEW in which her husband, an electrician by trade, is a card-carrying member (now retired).  A couple mainstream outlets had picked up on the story later on and were using the words supposedly and allegedly. Now we find out it was false.  

I did hear today that crews were told not to come.  This from someone with connections to crews from down here.

New York let them in.   Jersey said no.  That is what I am hearing.

We had out of state crews here working when we got hit several times.     But NC is a right to work state.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2012, 09:57:13 pm »

I did hear today that crews were told not to come.  This from someone with connections to crews from down here.

We had out of state crews here working when we got hit several times.     But NC is a right to work state.

Your souce is mistaken, New Jersey did not turn away workers because they are non union. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
JCMB
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2012, 10:56:01 pm »

Wrong.  Crews were most welcome.  We have seen crews from Pennsylvania, Ohio & West Virginia in communities in North Jersey. 
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2012, 09:57:23 am »

All it takes is one question from the press and a presidential potential is over. If true, the governors should allow them. People are freezing to death. Cuomo needs to act more like a leader.
Saying no to an offer of assistance from another state is asinine.
The unions have an agenda, restoring power is very low on that agenda.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2012, 03:39:42 pm »

New York let them in.   Jersey said no.  That is what I am hearing.

We had out of state crews here working when we got hit several times.     But NC is a right to work state.

It's also quite possible that by the time the offer came in that NJ already had enough help from the outside.  There is a limit on how much can be done at one time irrespective of manpower.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2012, 03:57:30 pm »

Cuomo has been hapless. He block F'd up big time by instructing folks to go to Freeport fro the free gasoline in addition to his incorrect statements about gas being available shortly. He was not prepared and looks like a deer in the headlights.

Bloomberg has been outdone by his preposterous dancing sidekick doing the sign language. Utterly absurd. 
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2012, 04:00:06 pm »

This issue over out of state power crews is actually a non-issue

News reports in the tri-state area are full of reports about utility repair crews being flown in from across the country to assist with getting customers back on line and with all the frustration among residents about the delays I cannot imagine an offer of help being refused, the politicians would be holding press conferences day and night if these stories were true
Report Spam   Logged
T1L
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2012, 04:14:17 pm »

Bloomberg has been outdone by his preposterous dancing sidekick doing the sign language. Utterly absurd. 

Actually, there is a legitimate reason why the interpreter was so expressive- it's part of the intricacies of sign language.

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/149593
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2012, 04:31:13 pm »

Cuomo has been hapless. He block F'd up big time by instructing folks to go to Freeport fro the free gasoline in addition to his incorrect statements about gas being available shortly. He was not prepared and looks like a deer in the headlights.

Really interesting how different Christie, Cuomo and Bloomberg have come though the storm

Christie speaks plainly, told people to "Get Out" before the storm and comes across as human and caring when he visits people whose lives were devastated by the storm

Cuomo has one tone, uses phrases like "evidentiary and indicative" and seems stiff as a board.  

Bloomberg has been, well Bloomberg like during the whole storm and had that bad loss of focus when he pushed the Marathon, then cancelled at the last moment

I do think these three and their top aides must be running on fumes right now
Report Spam   Logged
JCMB
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2012, 06:01:58 pm »

Really interesting how different Christie, Cuomo and Bloomberg have come though the storm

Christie speaks plainly, told people to "Get Out" before the storm and comes across as human and caring when he visits people whose lives were devastated by the storm

Cuomo has one tone, uses phrases like "evidentiary and indicative" and seems stiff as a board.  

Bloomberg has been, well Bloomberg like during the whole storm and had that bad loss of focus when he pushed the Marathon, then cancelled at the last moment

I do think these three and their top aides must be running on fumes right now

I do have to say that so far Christie has handled things well both pre and post storm.  This is coming from someone who didn't vote for him or Corzine - I voted for the independent who was running.
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2012, 07:01:09 pm »

After spending last week in Europe, I came home to the post-Sandy situation. Spent yesterday in New Dorp Beach, wading through water and silt and muck and God-knows what, helping folks clean out flooded basements and take the debris to the curb. Heartbreaking and devastating. However, I will say that the neighborhood had hundreds of volunteers, mostly young folks, organized by groups like the Red Cross or the American Cancer Society, who came out to help, together with over 1,000 marathon runners who'd taken the Ferry from the Battery, run to FEMA headquarters, picked up their gloves and masks and tools, and waded into some of the dirtiest jobs imaginable.

The kids, I conclude yet again, are alright.

I think the government/political response to this tragedy has been about right. Christie's been compassionate, Bloomberg's been efficient, Cuomo's been technocratic, but the aid is flowing.

And for those who (I'll not name names on the eve of an election) would abolish Federal disaster agencies in favor of states and charities, this current calamity shows that you can have both. Government responders are providing services no one else can match. Volunteers are saving the government millions. Probably the optimal system, I'd say.
Report Spam   Logged
El Jefe
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2012, 07:19:38 pm »

I am not a big fan of Christie, Cuomo or Bloomberg.  That being said, I agree that Christie has come out the best in all of this, perhaps because the marathon was not under his jurisdiction.  

Bloomberg was a lightning rod well before the storm.  I respect him and appreciate a lot that he has done for NYC.  In general, he is a businessman first and a politician second.  In order to rebuild, you need money.  The marathon brings in hundreds of millions of tourist dollars.  Many businesses rely heavily upon that one day each year (in addition to March 17).  Having run the marathon myself, I can tell you that many runners set goals and train for more than a year in advance.  Foreigners spend hundreds, if not thousands of dollars to travel to NYC for the entire week.  I had to deal with someone who was extremely distraught following the cancellation on Friday night.  I am not insensitive, but I can understand the reasons for not cancelling.

IMO, Cuomo is the least effective of the three.  He has the power to mobilize the National Guard, which can help with evacuations, temporary shelters, food distribution and security.  Instead, Cuomo appears to have come up with the brilliant idea of having the NG distribute five gallons of gasoline free to all in need.  It reminded me of the Katrina victims who received debit cards. I am not saying that Cuomo should have imposed marshall law, but direction from the top could have been better.  Don't get me started on all the photo opps by Cuomo and Schumer.
Report Spam   Logged
Bronx Boy
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2012, 12:22:41 am »

Bloomberg has been, well, Bloomberg like, during the entire storm, and had that bad loss of focus when he pushed for the Marathon, and then cancelled at the last moment
Bloomberg's agenda has always been a self serving agenda.  Witness his ramming his desire for a third term through his yes-man City Council.  This is a little man with a very large ego.

Look at what he's done with the NYC public school system in the past, and now, his attempts to deal with it during the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.

Closing the NYC publlic schools for four days ... good.

Opening the NYC public schools for staff only on Friday ... why ?  What purpose did that serve ?

Why bring students back into school buildings with 74 schools having to reassign students and staff to other schools, due either to unsafe conditions in their schools, or having their school buildings utilized as shelters for the homeless ?  

Where does L'il Mikey think he can put all of those additional displaced kids and their teachers ?  Is this guy thinking at all ?  

Any school to which they would be reassigned, will only cause disruptions and muck up conditions in those schools that are already struggling to function in their own situations.

Da Big Apple really can't wait to show this bombastic and blustering buffoon da gate.
Report Spam   Logged

Sports blogs often confuse stupidity with edginess.  Just because I can call someone a name, doesnít mean Iím insightful, or tough and edgy.  It just means Iím a jerk.  Itís a high tech place for what idiots used to do on bar stools, in school yards, and on gas station bathroom walls.
 - Bob Costas
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2012, 08:47:22 am »

I think we are veering into a political discussion here and I had a part in starting it, thus breaking one of my personal personal rules of not posting on politics.

One of the things that interest me during crisis like Sandy and during elections is the nuts and bolts of politics and leadership, not just the policies of a candidate but how they form their platform and in the case of a crisis how they do or do not exhibit leadership.  I separate aspects of the performance and policy from positions when I watch a debate and who I think won may be different from who I choose to vote for

I did not mean to draw politics onto the board, only to discuss the leadership efforts of the three elected officials I mentioned.

Report Spam   Logged
Bronx Boy
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2012, 09:09:19 am »

I think we are veering into a political discussion here, and I had a part in starting it, thus breaking one of my personal personal rules about not posting on politics.

I did not mean to draw politics onto the board, only to discuss the leadership efforts of the three elected officials I mentioned.
Since everything is politics, SI, it is almost impossible to not bring politics into any discussion, as we all see things a bit differently than the guy next to us.  Dat's whut makes fer horse races and beauty contests.  

We are all imperfect beings, and as such, we usually make choices and choose sides.  Freedom is severely curtailed and even absent, when you are faced with only one choice, ... or, no choice at all.

Bloomberg showed us his true colors by bum rushing his way into a third term, and he almost lost a very close election to Bill Thompson, who had been New York City Comptroller, and who spent much less on his campaign than did L'il Mikey.  FWIW, ... Thompson, with whom I've had personal dealings, is no bargain, neither.      
Report Spam   Logged

Sports blogs often confuse stupidity with edginess.  Just because I can call someone a name, doesnít mean Iím insightful, or tough and edgy.  It just means Iím a jerk.  Itís a high tech place for what idiots used to do on bar stools, in school yards, and on gas station bathroom walls.
 - Bob Costas
B2Bomber
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2012, 09:37:09 am »

Well whatever is the truth about the unions and out of state power crews, I just hope they get the power turned on, restored and the people most in need get the help, shelter, food they need.  Looks like Staten Island in the worst shape.   But Long Island has a LOT of people out of power and its going to be at least a week before its restored.  Westchester apparently got it bad too.   

I'm not going down the yellow brick road of politics today, boys.     Maybe deadlock ensues and we have NO WINNERS?     Evil
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2012, 09:44:48 am »

Well whatever is the truth about the unions and out of state power crews, I just hope they get the power turned on, restored and the people most in need get the help, shelter, food they need.  Looks like Staten Island in the worst shape.   But Long Island has a LOT of people out of power and its going to be at least a week before its restored.  Westchester apparently got it bad too.   

I'm not going down the yellow brick road of politics today, boys.     Maybe deadlock ensues and we have NO WINNERS?     Evil

B2,

Staten Island got hit very badly, I don't know if it is the worst but I do know that if you are in the middle of it that it is not a contest you  want to win

I have heard of people in NJ being told that it could be three weeks before they get power back on, very tough circumstances to manage for a family
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2012, 10:06:03 am »

Staten Island got hit very badly, I don't know if it is the worst but I do know that if you are in the middle of it that it is not a contest you  want to win

I have heard of people in NJ being told that it could be three weeks before they get power back on, very tough circumstances to manage for a family

Agreed.  I have heard stories from friends who went to help in the Rockaways, Breezy Point, Staten Island and some who have gone to help family in Long Island or the Jersey Shore.  All stories equally as devastating, heart crushing really and I don't even have family in any of those spots.  Makes me glad this easy means of communication was not available in 92 otherwise I am not sure I would have made it through my first semester senior year.

BTW, has MTv come out and said how much they are donating to help the efforts in the Jersey Shore?  They certainly have made enough money off that area and continue to do so.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2012, 10:17:56 am »

BTW, has MTv come out and said how much they are donating to help the efforts in the Jersey Shore?  They certainly have made enough money off that area and continue to do so.

The best thing MTV could do is promise to never bring their show back there, yes money would be great but that show did nothing to help the family vacation atmosphere of the area

The Shore will rebuild and maybe they can get back to their roots
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 10:26:07 am by SIram » Report Spam   Logged
B2Bomber
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2012, 10:40:40 am »

Its frustrating being either close or far away from the devastation....because regardless of distance there is not much we can do except donate to red cross etc, to help those who are in dire straits....desperate.    People now homeless, people with no food.  People with no heat.   

And the authorities better get a handle on this, or people start getting violent and it devolves from there.   Desperate people do desperate things.   

This is NOT a political commentary.  But Mayor Bloomberg has done a VERY POOR JOB so far from what I can see from here.   Gov. Cuomo as well.    I know tens of thousands are in need and its hard to meet the overwhelming demand for shelter, services, food etc.    They had poor planning before the storm and looks like they took it too lightly.    I dont want Staten Island turning into a northern Haiti.   Lawlessness and disease and starvation and total collapse of government services.   

Once election today is over, perhaps everyone can refocus on helping people in need.   
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2012, 10:57:42 am »

The best thing MTV could do is promise to never bring their show back there, yes money would be great but that show did nothing to help the family vacation atmosphere of the area

The Shore will rebuild and maybe they can get back to their roots

I'm pretty sure all those clubs and bars were there before MTV got there.  There is a reason why they picked the Jersey Shore and Seaside in particular for the show.
Report Spam   Logged

JCMB
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2012, 12:21:48 pm »

Agreed.  I have heard stories from friends who went to help in the Rockaways, Breezy Point, Staten Island and some who have gone to help family in Long Island or the Jersey Shore.  All stories equally as devastating, heart crushing really and I don't even have family in any of those spots.  Makes me glad this easy means of communication was not available in 92 otherwise I am not sure I would have made it through my first semester senior year.

Although I hate the JERSEY SHORE cast and entire show, I have to give them credit.  I don't know if they mentioned a specific dollar amount but I think they are holding some type of benefit possibly.  Maybe those idiot Jersey Housewives can join in too.  Both groups have a lot to make up for.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: