fordhamfans.com
June 25, 2017, 08:20:14 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Hurricane Sandy

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy  (Read 10234 times)
JCMB
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2012, 12:39:22 pm »

I'm pretty sure all those clubs and bars were there before MTV got there.  There is a reason why they picked the Jersey Shore and Seaside in particular for the show.

Seaside had gone down hill years ago and was getting pretty seedy.  The Jersey Shore cast did nothing to elevate it.
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2012, 12:45:58 pm »

Putting the idiots from the Jersey Shore cast on TV and showing them in their aimless drinking only drew national attention to problems there and attracted more idiots to Seaside

Those were not college kids having a good time, some are late 20's early 30's types who should have grown up long ago
Report Spam   Logged
Bronx Boy
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2012, 08:38:46 am »

Those were not college kids having a good time, some are late 20s, early 30s types, who should have grown up long ago
Seedy souls in a seedy town.
Report Spam   Logged

Sports blogs often confuse stupidity with edginess.  Just because I can call someone a name, doesn’t mean I’m insightful, or tough and edgy.  It just means I’m a jerk.  It’s a high tech place for what idiots used to do on bar stools, in school yards, and on gas station bathroom walls.
 - Bob Costas
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2012, 12:42:34 pm »

To show people in their 20s doing something more constructive --

We’ve started this grassroots organization, www.sistrong.org.  Kudos go to my 28 year old admin, her boyfriend and their pals.  They’ve got a “wedding registry” set up on Amazon.com where you can order relief supplies that go right to the organization.  Not a 501©(3), just a bunch of people who’ve put hundreds of volunteers in the field cleaning up.

http://www.amazon.com/registry/wedding/2NRZ5Z79QXMYX/ref=cm_sw_r_fa_wr_6Q-Mqb11CAV3R

If you know folks who want to help, send the links. Maybe folks can contribute supplies or things from the registry.

Report Spam   Logged
B2Bomber
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2012, 04:22:56 pm »

I read today, John, that over 100 million has been raised in relief for Sandy.   I also saw that Wagner played football at home today,which is interesting.   
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2012, 05:11:57 pm »

I read today, John, that over 100 million has been raised in relief for Sandy.   I also saw that Wagner played football at home today,which is interesting.   

And more will have to be raised. The South Shore of Staten Island is basically a tsunami zone. Many of the shoreline buildings bore the destructive brunt of the storm surge. Along Capodanno Blvd in South Beach, however, there's merely beach, boardwald and boulevard, with the first buildings being residences a bit further inland. The waves reached those buildings full force. Not surprising that most of the Island's fatalities were in that area. Now it's a race to restore some functionality to the area before the really cold weather moves in.

Wagner held its game, although the students were sent home for a while until power could be restored to the campus.
Report Spam   Logged
pjd
Junior

Tertullian - Model Levite Priest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2012, 01:23:29 am »

volunteered (with six others) to do work on small 3-bedroom home in Massapequa (near Cedar Creek).  Flooding went to 3 foot level of first floor.  Moved furniture and other items outside, upstairs, romoved electrical covers, detached heating units and riiped 36" of sheetrock from first floor to get ready for contractors to begin their work.  Would have taken husband & wife a month to do this work.  They were both VERY HAPPY that we came by.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2012, 11:36:48 am »

I'm hearing very good news about the Salvation Army, less so about FEMA, State and other NGOs. Donate something.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
El Jefe
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2012, 01:13:05 pm »

I spent Sunday on Staten Island doing disaster relief.  In retrospect, it was more worthwhile than watching the Giants or Jets.  The beach area communities were particularly hard hit and flooded by a storm surge that had to be 8 to 10 feet and half a mile inland.  These areas were still without power, but not without support.  I worked with a disaster relief team of the Utd. Methodist Church and a relief team of Church of Jesus Christ of LDS (Mormons), the latter of which consisted of 20 or more young people from Arizona.  I have to say that the Protestants are well organized.  They put a lot of time and energy into their relief efforts on an ongoing and nationwide basis.  I also saw a lot of common New Yorkers who chose to give up a day on the weekend and help people in need.  Many traveled to the disaster areas by bus or train, and then walked down streets asking if anyone could use help.  Others walked up and down streets offering water and food to workers, or set up neighborhood barbeques.  Everyone there was trying to help, each in his or her own way. 

Food, clothing and money are important, but so is labor.  It is hard work gutting building interiors of damaged walls, floors and appliances.  A crew of a dozen volunteers, however, can accomplish in a day what might take a home owner 2-4 weeks to complete.  In the spirit of "men and women for others", I urge Fordhm students, alumni and friends to get involved.  I am sure there are charities and local organizations that will gladly accept help and offer support that includes shovels, tools and cleaning supplies.  Full recovery is a long way down the road.  There is much to be done not just on Staten Island, but on Long Island and in New Jersey as well.       
Report Spam   Logged
Bronx Boy
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2012, 11:22:25 am »

Now it's a race to restore some functionality to the area before the really cold weather moves in.
Amen to that, John.

The upcoming cold weather will really be the knockout punch for the victims of Hurricane Sandy.  The work to be done in providing shelter, heat, food and water to these folks will be monumental, ... and time is running out, with The Farmer's Almanac forecasting a cold winter, with unusually high levels of precipitation.

This mess looks like a long term project for the National Guard, a coordinated effort by government on all levels, and sufficient monies provided, to prevent the results of this disaster from stretching out for decades to come.     
Report Spam   Logged

Sports blogs often confuse stupidity with edginess.  Just because I can call someone a name, doesn’t mean I’m insightful, or tough and edgy.  It just means I’m a jerk.  It’s a high tech place for what idiots used to do on bar stools, in school yards, and on gas station bathroom walls.
 - Bob Costas
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2012, 10:12:20 pm »

I was at Chelsea Piers CT in Stamford this evening. NYU hockey team was practicing. Manhattanville is having games down the street at Terry Connors city rink. I was told hardly any Ice is available south of NYC, and Stamford's five rinks are at capacity with minimal time for resurfacing.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2014, 10:21:34 pm »

I am sorry for posting so late but after over 2 years we are finally getting my wife's father's home rebuilt.  The home is located in Normandy Beach, NJ just south of Mantaloking which also took a huge hit.  There are still multi-million dollar home all broken up still untouched.  If any of you have some money to invest, there are a huge number of empty lots where the old folks just gave up, 
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2014, 03:30:43 pm »

FEMA and insurance companies are not allowing identical houses to be built. New and replacement homes need to be way off the ground like you see in Gulf Coast states.

If you can get oceanside land for a song, buy it!
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2014, 07:16:33 pm »

FEMA and insurance companies are not allowing identical houses to be built. New and replacement homes need to be way off the ground like you see in Gulf Coast states.

we are on pilings 9 feet off the ground.
Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2015, 02:09:34 pm »

If you do buy it, don't invest too much in the house you put on it.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: