fordhamfans.com
November 23, 2017, 04:53:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Tailgating Regulations issued

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tailgating Regulations issued  (Read 3971 times)
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2017, 06:57:48 am »

This seems extremely reasonable.  $10???  Maritime College charges more for D-III!  Raise the price, it's 2017...

You do realize this is a college campus in a very confined area, right?
Report Spam   Logged
jimbo65
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2017, 08:07:51 am »

Those rules were issued in part due to a conversation I had with the AD.  There was much confusion as to what was allowed and what was not.  As I wrote earlier in another thread, the rules are necessary due to the misbehavior of a few.  Sad but true, that is why we have to take off our shoes when boarding a plane.  Good thing the terrorist did not try to bring a pants bomb on board. IMO, nothing FU does is acceptable to you.  Were they to give out $20 bills to all attending a game you would complain they did not give out fifties.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2017, 08:19:54 am »

So after all of this discussion, and pages and pages of commentary, we have the rules posted.  So the question remains,why on Homecoming do they change their own  stated rules?
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2017, 08:38:04 am »

Two reasons, I believe.

Space limitations because of so many more Homecoming attendees.

So many students potentially tailgating and no real way to control alcohol access.  As Jimbo65 explained, there were a number of incidents with students some years back.  I heard a few others that he didnít mention.  Unfortunately, I think it is a good policy one weekend a year.  Iíd suggest moving tailgating off campus if it returns for homecoming.

Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2017, 08:42:08 am »

I can understand either position, but I don't agree with the policy of no tailgating at HC for Fordham fans but fans of visiting programs can tailgate.  Almost seems like diplomatic immunity!  Just doesn't seem practical, fair, or for that matter legally defensible (which undermines part of the reason for having the rule in the first place).
Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2017, 08:44:38 am »

Two reasons, I believe.

So many students potentially tailgating and no real way to control alcohol access.  As Jimbo65 explained, there were a number of incidents with students some years back.  I heard a few others that he didnít mention.  Unfortunately, I think it is a good policy one weekend a year.  Iíd suggest moving tailgating off campus if it returns for homecoming.
Huh? Why move it off campus?  Liability or to make it more difficult for students or something else?
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2017, 08:48:32 am »

Two reasons, I believe.

He never said a word about students.  He mentioned specifically a young alum who passed out in her old dorm room which is awesome. 

Yeah letís have homecoming off campus.  My god this is crazy. 

Simple keep the tent jack up the parking spot fee for the day.  Let people buy a spot on eddies or maybe martyrs if they want to lug their stuff there.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2017, 09:07:55 am »

He never said a word about students.  He mentioned specifically a young alum who passed out in her old dorm room which is awesome. 

Simple keep the tent jack up the parking spot fee for the day.  Let people buy a spot on eddies or maybe martyrs if they want to lug their stuff there.

Our second homecoming post graduation was the fall of 2008. We did the tent thing for a bit, did the bar thing, and then decided it would be fun to see who lived in our senior dorm. Walsh 407... No clue how 6 drunk guys made it in (there were nights I couldn't get into Walsh Sr. year...) but we did and we were excited to see that 6 girls now lived in our dorm. We knocked, they didn't answer. We left a note for them to call us... they did.... we showed up with 2 cases and an hour or so later RAs were banging on the door and writing us all up. Yes, they even wrote up the alums - no clue why, but I guess I'm on some sort of watch list now. Anyways, we're still friends with those girls to this day. Was one of the best days/nights in my Fordham memory bank.

407-07-09 was the name of our group chat for years.

Not sure the point of this story, but I love telling it  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2017, 09:09:10 am »

I'm 99% sure tailgating in Lot A now cost $30 per car, rather than $10. Still cost $10 to park in the Lot. When we've had multiple cars with stuff, they allowed us to pull in, empty out the trunk, and then park the secondary cars in the garage.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2017, 09:13:03 am »

Two reasons, I believe.

Homecoming is nothing compared to Spring Weekend. My friends and I ran a bootlegging operation for those too afraid of the RAs.

The narrative about controlling alcohol consumption on any given day on a wet college campus is just lazy imo. Its an easy excuse. If Fordham was actually concerned about underage drinking, they'd cancel Tuesday, Friday and Saturday nights, Spring Weekend, Halloween, and a slew of other binge-worthy events.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2017, 09:18:12 am »

What's your idea, genious?
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2017, 09:22:12 am »

Homecoming is nothing compared to Spring Weekend. My friends and I ran a bootlegging operation for those too afraid of the RAs.

The narrative about controlling alcohol consumption on any given day on a wet college campus is just lazy imo. Its an easy excuse. If Fordham was actually concerned about underage drinking, they'd cancel Tuesday, Friday and Saturday nights, Spring Weekend, Halloween, and a slew of other binge-worthy events.

So just plan another drunk fest where students don't even have to smuggle in alcohol they just have a recent grad bring it in.  Great idea.

It's one game a year. Deal with it. 
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2017, 09:23:27 am »

So to circle back to the question. Roach claims that the no tailgating was a decision made prior to his tenure. However, he is credited with establishing the current tailgating rules back in 2014. Doesn't quite jive but it sounds like the moustache simply ordered this edict on Homecoming. 

Ask the Moustache.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2017, 09:27:32 am »

So just plan another drunk fest where students don't even have to smuggle in alcohol they just have a recent grad bring it in.  Great idea.

It's one game a year. Deal with it. 

I do deal with it and it really doesn't bother me, but it the tent thing clearly sucks. Adults should have to wait online for 20 minutes to get a bud light and a Fordham FB game.

Edit: "smuggle alcohol" seems a bit extreme. Spring Weekend is the only weekend I could remember where you really needed to be careful. Its a good thing vodka is the same color as water!
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2017, 09:35:54 am »

What's your idea, genious?

Read the last sentence.  Also,you keep saying the rule is about students with no back up.  In fact the examples of drukness are recent grads. 

Great point about spring weekend.  The only person saying this is about students is old coach and there is nothing to support his statement.  It is about getting people into the game and young alumni.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 10:00:51 am by Rich93 » Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2017, 10:00:11 am »

I do deal with it and it really doesn't bother me, but it the tent thing clearly sucks. Adults should have to wait online for 20 minutes to get a bud light and a Fordham FB game.

Edit: "smuggle alcohol" seems a bit extreme. Spring Weekend is the only weekend I could remember where you really needed to be careful. Its a good thing vodka is the same color as water!

I agree with that 100 percent. I emailed Mike Griffin twice to express my feeling that the University is mailing it in with regard to homecoming. I copied his boss. I suggest others do the same. 
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2017, 10:08:59 am »

Read the last sentence.  Also,you keep saying the rule is about students with no back up.  In fact the examples of drukness are recent grads. 

Great point about spring weekend.  The only person saying this is about students is old coach and there is nothing to support his statement.  It is about getting people into the game and young alumni.

Ok. I'm making it up.  No issues at all. Oh, and I've worked in alumni and development for 20 years so I know nothing about what happens at a Homecoming.

It is a nightmare for college administrators, especially in student life. Anyone would point to tailgating as a major source of problems. 

Unless Fordham is the only school in the country that doesn't battle constantly with student drinking issues, I don't know what back up you're looking for.  Just Google,  "student drinking issues on campus", and you'll see all you need.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2017, 10:18:05 am »

Ok. I'm making it up.  No issues at all. Oh, and I've worked in alumni and development for 20 years so I know nothing about what happens at a Homecoming.

It is a nightmare for college administrators, especially in student life. Anyone would point to tailgating as a major source of problems. 

Unless Fordham is the only school in the country that doesn't battle constantly with student drinking issues, I don't know what back up you're looking for.  Just Google,  "student drinking issues on campus", and you'll see all you need.

Oh schools have policies for student drinking who would have ever imagined.  Yes you are making up this particular decision was about student drinking.  It was posted here by Jimbo it was about recent grads. Also your ďexperienceĒ is outdated sort of like Fordham in many ways.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2017, 10:32:57 am »

Oh schools have policies for student drinking who would have ever imagined.  Yes you are making up this particular decision was about student drinking.  It was posted here by Jimbo it was about recent grads. Also your ďexperienceĒ is outdated sort of like Fordham in many ways.

Oh well. I guess defending drunks gives you a different perspective. 

Enjoy the tent next year! Grin
Report Spam   Logged
DCRam
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2017, 11:37:26 am »

Our second homecoming post graduation was the fall of 2008. We did the tent thing for a bit, did the bar thing, and then decided it would be fun to see who lived in our senior dorm. Walsh 407... No clue how 6 drunk guys made it in (there were nights I couldn't get into Walsh Sr. year...) but we did and we were excited to see that 6 girls now lived in our dorm. We knocked, they didn't answer. We left a note for them to call us... they did.... we showed up with 2 cases and an hour or so later RAs were banging on the door and writing us all up. Yes, they even wrote up the alums - no clue why, but I guess I'm on some sort of watch list now. Anyways, we're still friends with those girls to this day. Was one of the best days/nights in my Fordham memory bank.

407-07-09 was the name of our group chat for years.

Not sure the point of this story, but I love telling it  Grin

Must say I like your stories better than your baseball team.  Wink

I did the same thing for my third Homecoming after graduation. Friend and I were walking across Martyrs' field heading to Clarke's (RIP). All of sudden he suggests we visit my old suite from Sophmore year. We stagger up to F House and bang on the door of F-2.

Some kid answers and in my best slurred speech explain that I used to live there and can we come in and take a look. Most people would slam the door and lock it at such a sight, but nope, he summons his other room mates and they invite us in. They bring us beer, order pizza, and gather around while we tell Fordham war stories for an hour or so.

They even took group pictures and had us sign some kind of guest book. This was before cellphones so I have no copies.

We thanked them for a great time and marched on to Clarke's and beyond oblivion.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2017, 12:49:06 pm »

Must say I like your stories better than your baseball team.  Wink

I did the same thing for my third Homecoming after graduation. Friend and I were walking across Martyrs' field heading to Clarke's (RIP). All of sudden he suggests we visit my old suite from Sophmore year. We stagger up to F House and bang on the door of F-2.

Some kid answers and in my best slurred speech explain that I used to live there and can we come in and take a look. Most people would slam the door and lock it at such a sight, but nope, he summons his other room mates and they invite us in. They bring us beer, order pizza, and gather around while we tell Fordham war stories for an hour or so.

They even took group pictures and had us sign some kind of guest book. This was before cellphones so I have no copies.

We thanked them for a great time and marched on to Clarke's and beyond oblivion.

sometimes the stars align!

We went back the next two years, with the girls from 407-09 (room-graduation year) and struck out both times. The first time it was just a bunch of guys who thought we were crazy, and the second time no-one answered. Oh well!
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2017, 01:28:13 pm »

So after all of this discussion, and pages and pages of commentary, we have the rules posted.  So the question remains,why on Homecoming do they change their own  stated rules?

You do realize that this thread goes back to April 01, 2014, 12:35:43 am, correct? The rules have been posted for a long time, just as they are posted on the Fordham Athletics website. http://www.fordhamsports.com/sports/2014/3/31/FB_0331143336.aspx
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2017, 01:32:26 pm »

You are right. I was basing it off of some posts here where it seemed that posters were saying that they had a huge tailgate last year. 

Report Spam   Logged
DCRam
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2017, 01:40:57 pm »

sometimes the stars align!

We went back the next two years, with the girls from 407-09 (room-graduation year) and struck out both times. The first time it was just a bunch of guys who thought we were crazy, and the second time no-one answered. Oh well!

Great story.

I was in 405 Walsh my Senior year.
Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2017, 01:41:07 pm »

Last year there was confusion and the usual SNAFU as to what were the tailgating rules.  I spoke to AD Roach who agreed that something needed to be done.  While, he does not set the rules, something was done and he deserves reconition.

I guess this is the part that threw me for a loop. This seems to indicate that Roach had input in modifying the rules. However, at least as to Homecoming, Roach indicates that decision pre-dated his tenure.

Add this to the "Only at Fordham" category. We are not restricting tailgating at Homecoming due to drunken underage students but rather, due to previois incidents,  to protect the students from drunken , out of control alums!  Classic..
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 07:37:16 am by 85 » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: