fordhamfans.com
August 20, 2017, 01:48:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

I Hate American IPA's!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I Hate American IPA's!  (Read 1890 times)
Chicago Ram
Junior

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2014, 05:06:10 pm »

There! I said it!! Overly hopped, not enough lagering time, top fermented stuff that is over flavored to mask brewing faults.

Now - give me a terrific german beer such as Augustenier - well worth the 14.99 a six, or a simple Paulaner Marzen - now you're talking beer!
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 05:08:19 pm »

Man, talk about starting things out on a negative note.  This is supposed to be for fun, not negativity.

How about just telling us how much you like the German beers instead of knocking other beers.

Darn party pooper.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
tuckertomm
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 05:30:13 pm »

Wet Hops might be the answer. New crop on the East End . NYS once a big grower of hops in USA, prohibition ended that.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 05:41:06 pm »

Hate is a strong word.

I've given up most grains and carbs, so beer is a rare event.  I'm also back to a 32 inch waist!
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
greenwood
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 08:10:12 pm »

Opened a not bad at all Sierra Nevada Red IPA after Maetzold threw the pick, then witnessed a three and out and a picture perfect drive.  What's not to like?  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 08:52:59 pm »

Couple of good ones up in Milwaukee.  Spotted Cow is my favorite with one from a Little place on River Street that's number two.
Report Spam   Logged
ram it 66
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 11:00:43 pm »

There! I said it!! Overly hopped, not enough lagering time, top fermented stuff that is over flavored to mask brewing faults.

Now - give me a terrific german beer such as Augustenier - well worth the 14.99 a six, or a simple Paulaner Marzen - now you're talking beer!

Too bad you don't know what you're talking about....try a Long Trail from Vermont and you'll flip...!
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 11:40:20 pm »

This is the thing, America is a big area.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 12:40:56 am »

If you can find it, try Hopslam Ale from Michigan. 10% ABV. Yowee!
Report Spam   Logged

Fordham: The oldest and winningest NCAA Division I baseball program.
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 07:29:30 am »

Craft Beer is blowing up in states. So many great beers from so many breweries. If you haven't found an American IPA you like, then you're drinking the wrong stuff. Check out the below for some beers that i suggest.

Maine Brewing Company: Lunch
Maine BC: Another One
Ballast Point: Sculpin (many variations... all good. recently had the grapefruit and it was great)
Russian River: Blind Pig
Bell's Brewery: Two Hearted Ale

Those are all awesome. I could go on and on if we start including Double and Triple IPA's.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 09:02:42 am »

If you go to the adirondaks this ski season, you must go to the Lake Placid Brewery. They make a dark Ubu ale. But the brewery itself makes incredible seasonal beers. I had a Quebec style beer one night with a high alcohol content, very tasty and frothy. Ubu ale is available in bottles, it is a dark beer with a light mouthfeel, unique but not my favorite.

Everyone coming in to fill up their growlers, great ambience. Good burgers.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 12:11:09 pm »

Grapefruit Sculplin IPA by Ballast Point is now available in NY. Picked up a 6 pack last weekend.. at 8% it is still very drinkable but it is a beer to be enjoyed. I would recommend it to anyone that likes IPA's, specifically fo the grapefruit variety.
Report Spam   Logged
Stick
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 01:42:24 pm »

I love American IPA's.  There, I said it!  Ha.  I also love German beer.  There is a German-owned restaurant near where I live that has a wide array of beers from Germany.  If you told me I could only have beer for one more day I'd probably go there and order the Dinkelacker Dunkel (a dark lager which is very drinkable for a dark colored beer) - they manage their taps well and all of the beer is delicious.  However I have never seen Augusteiner.

I had a grapefruit beer at the airport last year that I think was from Stratford, CT - but I don't recall the brewery name.  It was just alright.

Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 04:00:09 pm »

I had a German Grapefruit beer at Epcot when doing "beers around the world" very light and refreshing.

You can have a beer at every nation at Epcot around the Lagoon.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
Stick
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 12:20:36 pm »

I had a grapefruit beer at the airport last year that I think was from Stratford, CT - but I don't recall the brewery name.  It was just alright.

Two Roads Brewing is the Stratford brewery.  Actually the grapefruit beer was not theirs - I also had the white IPA that day (I was at the airport for 6 hours), which was decent:

http://tworoadsbrewing.com/beers/view/4

The grapefruit was actually a shandy from Harpoon:

http://www.harpoonbrewery.com/beer/345830/ufo-big-squeeze-shandy
Report Spam   Logged
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2015, 03:13:27 pm »

I heard that Schaeffer Beer is coming back with the original formula.  Now that will be great.  When Stroh's Brewery bought it they quickly made it their promotional beer.  They stopped kraussening (SP) the beer so it was green.  Went from one of my favorite beers to something undrinkable. 
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2015, 11:18:57 am »

Chicago Ram - I challenge you to pick up Bell's Hopslam and come back and say that you still Hate American IPA's. The beer is as good as it gets.

Report Spam   Logged
DCRam
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2015, 10:10:35 am »

German beers are obviously outstanding. However, American brewing has made great strides since the days of Bud, Schlitz, and PBR.

Plentiful imports and domestic micros everywhere. We are in the Golden Age of American Brewing. Enjoy it.

Try Sprecher from Wisconsin. Right up your alley. Prost.
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2015, 03:23:25 pm »

Drive up 94 to Milwaukee, get a Hop Bomb IPA home brewed at the Rock Bottom. It might change your mind.
Report Spam   Logged
ram it 66
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2015, 10:22:20 pm »

What's preposterous thread title. There are hundreds of great American IPAs, too many ever to sample.
Report Spam   Logged
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2015, 11:08:55 pm »

Now here's an American IPA that every Fordham alum should try!

Report Spam   Logged

Fordham: The oldest and winningest NCAA Division I baseball program.
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2015, 11:29:31 pm »

From the Fordham Brewing Company in Delaware.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4067/89046
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2015, 09:10:24 am »

If you can find it, try Hopslam Ale from Michigan. 10% ABV. Yowee!

Hopslam is awesome. Too bad its seasonal and available for purchase only a few days a year in NY.
Report Spam   Logged
ram it 66
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2015, 09:22:45 am »

Hopslam is awesome. Too bad its seasonal and available for purchase only a few days a year in NY.

To me a high content of 10% tastes like a shot of vodka was added. A 5-7 is plenty for me and allows for a good few rounds.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2015, 09:37:03 am »

Now here's an American IPA that every Fordham alum should try!

Fordham Brewing only distributes in the Mid Atlantic. When they get into Da Big Apple, I would expect it offered at Alumni and other events where Beer is permitted.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2015, 03:58:17 pm »

There's two up in Milwaukee that are outstanding IMMHO - Spotted Cow from the New Glarus Brewery Company, New Glarus, Wisconsin. It's a cloudy beer with a wonderful taste.  The second is the Light Beer from the River Street Brewery in Downtown Milwaukee.  It's not really a light beer like Miller or Coors but just a pale color with a delightful flavor. Yummy

I also noticed that Ballantine now has an IPA Pale Ale India Beer.  I wonder if there is any relationship to the old Ballantine beer sold at Yankee Stadium?  There are the 3 rings on the bottle.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2015, 04:28:24 pm »

To me a high content of 10% tastes like a shot of vodka was added. A 5-7 is plenty for me and allows for a good few rounds.

Depends on the beer. Certain high percentage beers definitely have that boozy taste. I've had beers as high as 20+ percet (Dogfish Head World Wide Stout) and that was too much. I routinely drink beers in the 7ish range but Hopslam in particular is a great beer with a ton of flavor and the boozy taste doesnt come through as much.
Report Spam   Logged
fordham81
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2015, 04:41:07 pm »

Had several very nice Finback IPA's this past weekend at The Who concert. Nice butterscotch finish after the hops. Forest Hills Stadium promotes local food and breweries and Finback is in Queens.

Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2015, 04:43:17 pm »

Had several very nice Finback IPA's this past weekend at The Who concert. Nice butterscotch finish after the hops.

Butterscotch and beer....I think I'm going to wretch!

To each his own I suppose....give me an ice cold Bud

Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2015, 04:52:31 pm »

Butterscotch and beer....I think I'm going to wretch!

To each his own I suppose....give me an ice cold Bud

Every now and then I find myself crushing a few Ice Cold Bud's.. but the world is full of incredibly great beers right now. Expand your horizons a bit!

I know people that only ever drink pricey wine, but then put their noses up at anything other then your basic imports. Blows my mind! wine snobs... smh
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: