fordhamfans.com
July 24, 2017, 08:40:26 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

I Hate American IPA's!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I Hate American IPA's!  (Read 1886 times)
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2015, 07:46:53 pm »

Every now and then I find myself crushing a few Ice Cold Bud's.. but the world is full of incredibly great beers right now. Expand your horizons a bit!

I know people that only ever drink pricey wine, but then put their noses up at anything other then your basic imports. Blows my mind! wine snobs... smh

Beer nerds are the new wine snobs.

I'll enjoy a Sam Adams and Shiner Bock when I'm seeking change.  Buds go down easier that the craft beers.  I like big heartless breweries more than the chubby hipster creations....those guys that look like they never kissed a girl wear me out when they extoll  this Knarly Scab pale ale or that Bleeding Absess IPA.
Report Spam   Logged
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2015, 10:26:28 pm »

Butterscotch and beer....I think I'm going to wretch!

To each his own I suppose....give me an ice cold Bud

Bud gives me a headache. Awful stuff IMO
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2015, 11:27:33 am »

Beer nerds are the new wine snobs.

I'll enjoy a Sam Adams and Shiner Bock when I'm seeking change.  Buds go down easier that the craft beers.  I like big heartless breweries more than the chubby hipster creations....those guys that look like they never kissed a girl wear me out when they extoll  this Knarly Scab pale ale or that Bleeding Absess IPA.

You're the definition of a hater, but thats fine. I would recommend trying out some session or "drinkable" IPA's. They are especially popular in the summer, but you can get them year round. They are lower in abv - typically around 4.5-5% and are much smoother then some of the more involved craft beers. My go to is Founders All Day IPA. Its a great tailgating beer - served in a can (no need to pour) and they go down easier. Definitely has some hops to it but its not a sipping beer by any means. Has way more flavor then your typical domestic.

It's not fair to lump all craft beers into one category. I've tasted over 600+ beers the past few years and some have been great and some have sucked. It depends. some beers are definitely winter warmers and some are.. dare i say... fruity summer beers... yes, Grapefruit Sculpin IPA is fantastic. I've had beer shipped in from Belgium too. Westverlyn XII was for a very long time considered the best beer in the world. Brewed by Monk to keep their monasty afloat. I believe it was only ever shipped to the US for distribution twice and each time the beer was sold out within a day. I got ahold of three bottles about 3 years ago. Drank one right away, drank the second a year later on my wedding day, and i'm holding onto the 3rd.

The point is that there are some really fantastic beers out there right now, and whether the brewer is a hipster or not, it shouldnt matter. Domestics like Bud and Coors ect are just like reality tv - when you need some mindless entertainment, its always there for you Wink

Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2015, 11:37:04 am »

You're the definition of a hater, but thats fine. I would recommend trying out some session or "drinkable" IPA's. They are especially popular in the summer, but you can get them year round. They are lower in abv - typically around 4.5-5% and are much smoother then some of the more involved craft beers. My go to is Founders All Day IPA. Its a great tailgating beer - served in a can (no need to pour) and they go down easier. Definitely has some hops to it but its not a sipping beer by any means. Has way more flavor then your typical domestic.

It's not fair to lump all craft beers into one category. I've tasted over 600+ beers the past few years and some have been great and some have sucked. It depends. some beers are definitely winter warmers and some are.. dare i say... fruity summer beers... yes, Grapefruit Sculpin IPA is fantastic. I've had beer shipped in from Belgium too. Westverlyn XII was for a very long time considered the best beer in the world. Brewed by Monk to keep their monasty afloat. I believe it was only ever shipped to the US for distribution twice and each time the beer was sold out within a day. I got ahold of three bottles about 3 years ago. Drank one right away, drank the second a year later on my wedding day, and i'm holding onto the 3rd.

The point is that there are some really fantastic beers out there right now, and whether the brewer is a hipster or not, it shouldnt matter. Domestics like Bud and Coors ect are just like reality tv - when you need some mindless entertainment, its always there for you Wink

I don't hate.....I see humor in things.

You might be a humorless nerd though.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2015, 11:48:51 am »

I don't hate.....I see humor in things.

You might be a humorless nerd though.

I'll ponder that while i'm drinking my Dirty Bastard on the way home tonight.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2015, 11:51:01 am »

I'll ponder that while i'm drinking my Dirty Bastard on the way home tonight.

This Bud's for you 07
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2015, 11:59:05 am »

This Bud's for you 07

Wink

I may enjoy my craft beers, but don't get me wrong.. I bought 144 Bud's/Bud Lights/Coors Originals for a bbq i'm throwing tomorrow. You've said it before - sometimes there's nothing better than an Ice Cold Bud. I may be a "beer nerd" but I enjoy the basics sometimes
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2015, 12:09:20 pm »

Wink

I may enjoy my craft beers, but don't get me wrong.. I bought 144 Bud's/Bud Lights/Coors Originals for a bbq i'm throwing tomorrow. You've said it before - sometimes there's nothing better than an Ice Cold Bud. I may be a "beer nerd" but I enjoy the basics sometimes

I hope you have a great day. 

Now....does bbq mean real bbq;  or are you grilling?
Because I can be a BBQ Nerd!
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2015, 12:18:46 pm »

And we have a thread for that too!  I don't remember if you have joined in on that one too, but you should.

As for beers, I like my IPA's, but also appreciate the lagers.  If I am going to tailgate, I am likely going with a lager.  If I am at a BBQ, probably the same or I will look for a less hoppy IPA, so that I can appreciate the food a bit more.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2015, 02:20:52 pm »

I hope you have a great day. 

As Real as I can get on surburban LI. I have an electric smoker and plan on doing chicken tomorrow. A short cook because there are a million things going on and I just cant dedicate myself to an overnight cook this time around. Ace and I have had some back and forth about various smokes and smoking techniques.

I've been smoking for about 6 years now. If I had to pick a signature dish i'd say my ribs are on point. I'm pretty good with chicken too, but havent done too many whole chickens. Smoking on rooftops and apartment balcony's made it tough lol but now that i just bought a house on LI i'm hoping to get after it a bit more.

I was in Austin a few weeks ago and I went to the famous Franklin BBQ. It was amazing. Best BBQ i've had, but i still havent hit up lots of the other big spots. I plan on it though. The line was long, but I came prepared. I had a cooler of beer (local texas stufff) and a couple of lounging chairs.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2015, 12:26:33 am »

As Real as I can get on surburban LI. I have an electric smoker and plan on doing chicken tomorrow. A short cook because there are a million things going on and I just cant dedicate myself to an overnight cook this time around. Ace and I have had some back and forth about various smokes and smoking techniques.

I've been smoking for about 6 years now. If I had to pick a signature dish i'd say my ribs are on point. I'm pretty good with chicken too, but havent done too many whole chickens. Smoking on rooftops and apartment balcony's made it tough lol but now that i just bought a house on LI i'm hoping to get after it a bit more.

I was in Austin a few weeks ago and I went to the famous Franklin BBQ. It was amazing. Best BBQ i've had, but i still havent hit up lots of the other big spots. I plan on it though. The line was long, but I came prepared. I had a cooler of beer (local texas stufff) and a couple of lounging chairs.

Good work...Franklin is the real deal.
Next time try...
Louis Mueller in Taylor
Blacks in Lockhart

I'm glad you're bringing low and slow to New York.

Try this with ribs.....3/4 of the cooking time wrapped in foil.  Finish unwrapped (the last hour).  It keeps them very moist.  160-170 degree indirect heat.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2015, 10:09:24 am »

My typical Rib Recipe:

First Layer of Spice: Brown Sugar
Second Layer: A rub that brings a little bit of heat

In the smoker for 1-2 hours depending on how they look.. 

Pull em out... drop some more brown sugar and rub on top - add a squirt of butter - wrap in tin foil. Add some apple juice in the foil to create a steaming effect. put them in for 2 hours.

pull them out and unwrap. add some more of the spicy rub and glaze of bbq sauce. back in until the meat has pulled up about an inch off the bone.

That right there will provide you with a perfect bit through rib. sweet but with some nice heat on the back end.

I don't sauce my ribs when they come back out. The little bit of sauce I add before the last hour in the smoker is all you need. I'm not a big believer of sauce on my BBQ period, but it serves its purpose every now and then.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2015, 11:14:44 am »

My typical Rib Recipe:

First Layer of Spice: Brown Sugar
Second Layer: A rub that brings a little bit of heat

In the smoker for 1-2 hours depending on how they look.. 

Pull em out... drop some more brown sugar and rub on top - add a squirt of butter - wrap in tin foil. Add some apple juice in the foil to create a steaming effect. put them in for 2 hours.

pull them out and unwrap. add some more of the spicy rub and glaze of bbq sauce. back in until the meat has pulled up about an inch off the bone.

That right there will provide you with a perfect bit through rib. sweet but with some nice heat on the back end.

I don't sauce my ribs when they come back out. The little bit of sauce I add before the last hour in the smoker is all you need. I'm not a big believer of sauce on my BBQ period, but it serves its purpose every now and then.

That's a very good recipe....the extended time in the foil really does keep them moist and "fall off the bone" tender.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: