fordhamfans.com
August 20, 2017, 01:46:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Bourbon

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bourbon  (Read 7997 times)
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2014, 06:53:05 pm »

I went with the Woodford Reserve Double Oaked tonight.  You can definitely pick up the extra smoky flavor which I like.  Hoping it brings the Rams luck and we take down the Bison.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State

Social Buttons

SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 07:33:57 pm »

Couldn't find Blantons so I went with Ridgemont Reserve 1792

Very nice
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 07:55:29 pm »

Nice.  It is not the greatest, but generally good for the price.  I was told it is dealing with supply and demand issues, as many bourbons are, so the price is going up.  The popularity of bourbon jumped rather suddenly and when something takes many years to make, it is hard to keep production up.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 08:11:56 pm »

Where I live finding a range of varieties is tough so I don't always get to buy my first choice

This was a good second choice
Report Spam   Logged
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 08:45:54 pm »

I drink Knob's Creek.  Smooth.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 10:35:43 pm »

Cracked open the Virginia Gentleman tonight. Not the original, but very smooth. Distilled in Kentucky, but aged in the cask in Virginia.

Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 10:54:52 pm »

Don't tell us what you did.  Tell us how it was?
Report Spam   Logged

NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 07:19:28 am »

Speaking of hard to get/tough to find bourbons.. I recently drank Old Wellers. Great stuff. very smooth. My buddy and I tried finding more, but only came up with Old Wellers Antique. Not nearly as good, and I wouldnt recommend.

I've been lucky enough to have a glass of several of the Pappy's. Now that is great stuff!
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 08:39:16 am »

Don't tell us what you did.  Tell us how it was?

Smooth with hints of vanilla. No aftertaste, first sip as good as the last.  Excellent nose.

Not the kind of bourbon to drink with a cigar, best enjoyed by itself.

Inexpensive, for now.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 04:43:53 pm »

Bad news for those of us who like Bourbon, here is a story about the looming shortage of product:

http://www.businessinsider.com/bourbon-shortage-is-coming-2014-11
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 05:05:25 pm »

Bad news for those of us who like Bourbon, here is a story about the looming shortage of product:

http://www.businessinsider.com/bourbon-shortage-is-coming-2014-11

Hey, SIram, check out reply #2 in this thread.  Did they state it better than I did?  I was probably more brief though.  Wink

There are a few ryes that I like that I believe will not be hit by this supply and demand issue.  Not the same as bourbon obviously, but still good in a different way.
Report Spam   Logged

SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 05:15:05 pm »

Hey, SIram, check out reply #2 in this thread.  Did they state it better than I did?  I was probably more brief though.  Wink

There are a few ryes that I like that I believe will not be hit by this supply and demand issue.  Not the same as bourbon obviously, but still good in a different way.

The article gave juuuust a touch more detail behind the shortage

I have seen a few lists of better american ryes and one of my favorites never makes the list Michter's American Whiskey and Straight Rye are really nice

I think the aging process for better ryes could mean that as popularity grows there could be the same shortage problems as with Bourbon

Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 05:28:51 pm »

The article gave juuuust a touch more detail behind the shortage

I have seen a few lists of better american ryes and one of my favorites never makes the list Michter's American Whiskey and Straight Rye are really nice

I think the aging process for better ryes could mean that as popularity grows there could be the same shortage problems as with Bourbon

But Rye went through that shortage almost 3 years ago and they don't need to age as long.  You would think the distillers would have learned from the rye shortage, but they did not.

http://www.shankennewsdaily.com/index.php/2012/06/18/3293/distilleries-still-scrambling-to-boost-production-in-wake-of-rye-shortage/
Report Spam   Logged

xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 05:52:56 pm »

I've seen Manhattan Straight Rye distilled upstate. Does "Manhattan" mean it is made in  NYS?
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 09:25:46 am »

I've seen Manhattan Straight Rye distilled upstate. Does "Manhattan" mean it is made in  NYS?

If it's distilled in upstate NY, doesn't that answer your question?
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2014, 09:40:05 am »

It could be a type of Rye Whisk(e)y. Bourbon was traced to Bourbon county in the Commonwealth of Kentucky, but is also made in other states. Bourbon, by US law, must use certain ingredients and must be made in America.

Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
B2Bomber.
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2014, 11:56:11 am »

It could be a type of Rye Whisk(e)y. Bourbon was traced to Bourbon county in the Commonwealth of Kentucky, but is also made in other states. Bourbon, by US law, must use certain ingredients and must be made in America.

To me if it aint made and distilled in Kentucky, its not Bourbon.   Everything else is just whiskey.    Tennessee Mash, Virginia Gentleman and all sorts of Rye's.   

I am not talking blends here.   Certainly no Canadians.   Blagh!

But I am with you on the cost.    Like most things in life, at some point, its more about prestige and image....and my better sense of cost/benefit and relative pleasure vs. imaginary pleasure takes over.    Its why I admire Maseratis as beautifully crafted machines but would never own one....not my image, and I dont want all that attention.    There is a limit to what I would spend on an automobile even if I had an open checkbook.   

Ditto for most wines, hard spirits, even craft beers.    And cigars.   Sure...there are 30 and 40.00 cigars out there that may be awesome...but I can take a cigar under 15.00 and tell you with a straight face its as good as that 30.00 cigar and a lot less elitist and image conscious.    Frankly there are outstanding cigars in the 8-10 range.   

With  Bourbon it sorta depends on my mood and what I am going to do?    Neat?   On the rocks, or in the mood (in a restaurant) for a superb Manhattan?    Or at home with high end ginger ale in a high ball?

Smoking or not? 

Mostly I drink Makers Mark and Knob Creek.   
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 12:42:19 pm »

I am not a Bourbon drinker myself, but I served Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage at a recent party and it got a enthusiastic thumbs up from the brown likker set.
Report Spam   Logged
fordham81
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2014, 01:38:01 pm »

I few years ago I started to enjoy bourbon (the benefits of traveling to North Carolina often for work) - and friends and family thought that a bottle would make a good gift.  I was stunned when I took a quick inventory- Pappy's 20 year old, Woodford, Makers, Knob Creek and Bulliet (no I don't have a problem!).

Also forgot about my Hudson Valley Baby Bourbon (http://www.tuthilltown.com/products/aged-spirits/hudson-baby-bourbon-whiskey . It's different from it's southern cousins, but very nice. They also do a nice tour.....

Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2014, 02:11:33 pm »

I few years ago I started to enjoy bourbon (the benefits of traveling to North Carolina often for work) - and friends and family thought that a bottle would make a good gift.  I was stunned when I took a quick inventory- Pappy's 20 year old, Woodford, Makers, Knob Creek and Bulliet (no I don't have a problem!).

Also forgot about my Hudson Valley Baby Bourbon (http://www.tuthilltown.com/products/aged-spirits/hudson-baby-bourbon-whiskey . It's different from it's southern cousins, but very nice. They also do a nice tour.....

Pappy? Next time you come to a game make sure you bring that and give me a call for some pree-game spirits Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
B2Bomber.
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2014, 03:07:41 pm »

I am not a Bourbon drinker myself, but I served Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage at a recent party and it got a enthusiastic thumbs up from the brown likker set.

I drink very little.....curtailed that a long time ago.....just enjoy a glass of wine with a steak or spaghetti, or a beer with a brat or burger.....or a spirit very rarely.   

I drink extremely dry martinis when out socializing in high society...and its one and DONE.    Usually Grey Goose, two olives, no cheese.

Report Spam   Logged
ram20220
Sophomore

Class of '08

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2014, 03:32:37 pm »

I was gifted a bottle of this from my boss and haven't cracked it open yet.  Been using Woodford/Bulliett as the go-to's of late.

I also have an unopened bottle of Angel Envy that I'm looking forward to trying.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2014, 03:34:41 pm »

I also have an unopened bottle of Angel Envy that I'm looking forward to trying.

I went to to tasting that the distiller was at and got a signed bottle from him.  I got one for me and one for my brother-in-law.  The bourbon itself is long gone, but I kept the bottle.  It was good enough, but I have never purchased that bourbon again.  I find it to be priced a little high for what you get.
Report Spam   Logged

xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2014, 08:48:16 pm »

81,  what makes Bourbon distinctive is the aging in charred Oak Barrels. The hot humid summers and cold winters let the Oak breathe, and gives the liquor more flavor. The Hudson valley may not be hot enough, imho.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
Roman_Ram
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2014, 09:48:11 am »

I like Woodford Reserve Select - the lightest 90 proof Bourbon you can find.  Very mellow and at $30ish/fifth is pretty reasonable.  A less expensive choice for me is Buffalo Trace - vanilla flavor and a bit on the sweet side. Also has an oaky taste which can turn some Bourbon drinkers off.  Not top-shelf, but certainly competes well with Maker's Mark
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2014, 09:51:38 am »

Interesting article about NYS Bourbons and Whiskies.

http://www.westchestermagazine.com/Westchester-Magazine/September-2014/New-York-Bourbons-With-Attitude/

I saw Widow Jane in my local Bevmax, Brooklyn Bourbon using water from upstate NY. Lots of minerals upstate.

The Hudson valley is becoming an epicurean delight, heirloom organic foods, fine wines and spirits, the CIA, even great onions.

Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2014, 10:35:02 am »

I recently tried Breckenridge and 4 Roses this past weekend. Two more great bourbons that you can get at very reasonable prices. I'd recommend both.
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2014, 11:02:06 am »

I recently tried Breckenridge and 4 Roses this past weekend. Two more great bourbons that you can get at very reasonable prices. I'd recommend both.

4 Roses!  They have improved their product line.  4 Roses rye was what they sold at the White Rose Bar when they ran out of Fleishman's.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2015, 11:35:56 pm »

I bought a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel for a NYE party I was having and it went over very well.  It was tough seeing some guests pour it over too much rocks, while I enjoyed it the right way.  I was very surprised with how good it was given that Four Roses was not something I thought would be high quality before seeing the recommendation here.
Report Spam   Logged

charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2015, 10:54:16 pm »

Best sipping drink is Knob's Creek Manhattan perfect with a twist.  Yum.   I also substitute Asti Spumonti for Champagne  making Mimosa's.  Absolutely wonderful.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: