fordhamfans.com
July 24, 2017, 08:43:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Bourbon

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bourbon  (Read 7994 times)
jimbo65
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2015, 08:28:33 am »

4 Roses!  They have improved their product line.  4 Roses rye was what they sold at the White Rose Bar when they ran out of Fleishman's.

Don't forget Carstairs, another "superior" potable.  Fine wines included Thunderbird, immortalized by the jingle

What's thee word, Thunderbird,

What's the price, fifty (cents) twice,

What' it for,

Your mother-in-law (street lingo for a party.
Report Spam   Logged
tuckertomm
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2015, 12:07:51 pm »

81,  what makes Bourbon distinctive is the aging in charred Oak Barrels. The hot humid summers and cold winters let the Oak breathe, and gives the liquor more flavor. The Hudson valley may not be hot enough, imho.

Climate Change- NYS known for it's apples will in the future be known for it's peaches. Our friends to the north will be the apple growers. The Valley will warm. GMO corn will soon be the norm due to cross pollination. Bourbon made from organic corn fetches big bucks abroad where they frown on GMOS. Cheers!
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2015, 10:21:57 pm »

Old Bardstown.  Ridiculously cheap to the point that you will likely pass by it if you see it.  Surprisingly very good at the price point.  Put it up next to a higher priced bourbon and it will stand up against many of them.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2015, 12:01:40 pm »

Had my Knob's Creek Manhattan Perfect up in the Pocono Mountains this weekend.  Yum!!!
Report Spam   Logged
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2015, 04:27:03 pm »

Old Bardstown.  Ridiculously cheap to the point that you will likely pass by it if you see it.  Surprisingly very good at the price point.  Put it up next to a higher priced bourbon and it will stand up against many of them.

I've never tried Old Bardstown, but if AOC and RB don't take their pissing match to PMs soon, I may have to order a case! 😁
Report Spam   Logged

Fordham: The oldest and winningest NCAA Division I baseball program.
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2015, 08:02:12 am »

Best sipping drink is Knob's Creek Manhattan perfect with a twist.  Yum.   I also substitute Asti Spumonti for Champagne  making Mimosa's.  Absolutely wonderful.

In Europe, only Sparkling wine from Champagne district in France can be called that. If the French really want revenge against the swill from Napa, they can distill a Whiskey and name it after the original Bourbons.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2015, 07:20:08 pm »

In Europe, only Sparkling wine from Champagne district in France can be called that. If the French really want revenge against the swill from Napa, they can distill a Whiskey and name it after the original Bourbons.

"Swill from Napa"? Spoken like a true wine snob. Cue the tumbrels and bring out the guillotine.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Fordham: The oldest and winningest NCAA Division I baseball program.
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2015, 11:03:12 pm »

"Swill from Napa"? Spoken like a true wine snob. Cue the tumbrels and bring out the guillotine.  Smiley

No kidding P69.  I knew the French were in trouble when they started selling twist cap tops.
Report Spam   Logged
77SunsetStrp
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2015, 10:22:03 am »

No kidding P69.  I knew the French were in trouble when they started selling twist cap tops.

There is a worldwide shortage of cork, actually.    Some have gone to prefabricated faux corks.  Some have gone to twist tops.     Some claim the wine wont be harmed by twist tops and will age just fine.

I dunno.  I dont collect anything.   I buy it and I drink it.    It ages about a week at most.   

When I lived "over there" I remember going into local grocery stores and seeing a giant vat like container, sometimes with a half oak front, sitting up on a shelf...6 feet high or so, and a tap on it, like beer.   And people would bring their little brown jug and tap the wine and pay for what they bought.   It was just local swill, nothing vintage or worth a label.  What french drink day to day, meal after meal, or sometimes cook with it.    Seems the french are very ordinary on a day to day basis.   When they go out to eat with friends?   They put on all the same airs as Americans do and order the high and mighty, sniff the wine with authority, remarking something noble and grand, and enjoying it to the max.    Of course, consumed with one or two or five of their favorite cheeses.....

De Gaulle said, "How do you govern a country with 300 kinds of cheese?" 
  Cheesy

I used to drink single malt scotch.   Moved away from the peat.    Now more into Bourbon.   And once in a while a very dry vodka martini with two large stuffed olives.    Gray Goose is my norm.

Then at home I usually have a nice red wine with my steak or spaghetti.     An oaky chardonnay with pork or chicken or fish.     

I tend to be as picky about coffee beans.     Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2015, 08:44:40 pm »

Actually I'm very proud of Muhriken wine.

M. DeGaul, have you tried artisanal American Cheese?
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
Vinseiro2
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2015, 04:38:35 pm »

Our new coach might appreciate this thread  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2015, 04:39:09 pm »

Our new coach might appreciate this thread  Wink

And have some suggestions for us
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2015, 10:00:15 am »

picked up a bottle of Hudson Baby Bourbon last night. Going to crack it open this weekend at a house warming party my buddy is having in his new summer home. I love gifts that give back! Anyways, I hadn't had the opportunity to try this one out yet, so I figured to give it a whirl. 100% NYS Corn Mash should make it interesting. Not too pricey at first glance ($40/bottle) but then you realize its a tiny bottle.. only 375ml. Will report back early next week, but I have high hopes.

Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2015, 10:06:22 am »

that's good stuff, imo, '07.  very good
Report Spam   Logged
marcusmv3
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2015, 05:01:18 am »

Finally -- a thread where I can excell.

Ace, based on your posts I can confidently recommend Henry McKenna 10yr Bottled in Bond. Personally I love Bonds, this one is extra oaky. I myself like a younger profile, so I sip typically Evan Williams Bottled in Bond, which is the same stuff as the HMK BiB but aged closer to 6 years. Should be $30, a great value. Also pick up some Elijah Craig 12 year before the age statement drops entirely, they already moved it from the front to the back of the bottle on that one so it's only a matter of time -- this one is older than the aforementioned two, but slightly lower proof, and also the same juice. All Heaven Hill products, probably my favorite of the big distillers -- they don't overprice their very good bottom and mid shelf products.

However, my all time favorite easy sipper is Elmer T. Lee, I always have a few bottles on hand. Like candy or pie, every barrel a different dessert with that one. Like almost all other Buffalo Trace distillery products, it's hard to find since last year and frequently priced well over its $35 MSRP.

Oh man, I can talk American whiskey all day. I'm trying to get into the business of it, in fact, at least in a sales aspect. And if anyone has any spare Buffalo Trace Antique Collection bottles they don't plan on opening, we need to talk.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2015, 09:53:17 am »

Cleveland Whiskey Black Bourbon is using a vacuum chamber to quickly extract flavor out of barrels. Also experimenting with different woods as Cherry and Maple are not well suited to Barrel making.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
fordham81
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2015, 11:03:28 am »

picked up a bottle of Hudson Baby Bourbon last night. Going to crack it open this weekend at a house warming party my buddy is having in his new summer home. I love gifts that give back! Anyways, I hadn't had the opportunity to try this one out yet, so I figured to give it a whirl. 100% NYS Corn Mash should make it interesting. Not too pricey at first glance ($40/bottle) but then you realize its a tiny bottle.. only 375ml. Will report back early next week, but I have high hopes.

They now have a larger bottle! Did you like it?
Report Spam   Logged
jimbo65
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2015, 03:31:02 pm »

Cleveland Whiskey Black Bourbon is using a vacuum chamber to quickly extract flavor out of barrels. Also experimenting with different woods as Cherry and Maple are not well suited to Barrel making.
I thought to be labeled "bourbon" the barrels had to be oak.  Does the designation "black" change that?
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2015, 06:18:00 pm »

I thought to be labeled "bourbon" the barrels had to be oak.  Does the designation "black" change that?

The laws says "charred new oak containers" nothing about using other woods for flavor. The black color comes from the quick vacuum process.  If you see a bottle, grab it. Not much is getting out of Cleveland.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2015, 08:08:14 am »

They now have a larger bottle! Did you like it?

It was fantastic. An easy drink that I would recommend to anyone. Haven't seen the bigger bottle but I'll need to keep my eyes open.
Report Spam   Logged
jimbo65
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2015, 10:37:48 am »

Just bought a big bottle last week.  Something must be wrong with the bottling as it seems to be disappearing quickly.
Report Spam   Logged
avon barksdale
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2016, 04:46:44 pm »

Jeffersons and Johnny Drum. Smooth and friendly, not so robust.
Report Spam   Logged
fordham81
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2016, 02:18:59 pm »

One of my team members has been calling on Hudson Valley distilleries for a while and has developed a good rapport with some of the local craftsman. 

I was just presented with 2 bottles from the Catskill Distilling Company-  a New York Straight Bourbon Whiskey called  "The Most Righteous", and "The One and Only- Buckwheat". The Buckwheat is distilled from a combination of 20% grain and 80% Buckwheat.

I shall try them both this weekend. The company's owners have a cool backstory-  http://www.catskilldistillingcompany.com/.   "Catskill Distilling Company's Most Righteous Bourbon is the result of a collaboration between Sachs and Lincoln Henderson, the creator of Woodford Reserve Bourbon and Angel's Envy Bourbon. Sachs sources a mash of 70% corn, 20% rye and 10% malted barley"

We also found out that the Tuthilltown Spirits Distillery (Hudson Baby Bourbon) has been purchased by one of the larger distillers in the US.  They had a wonderful tasting booth set-up this past weekend at the Ulster County Fairgrounds and they have some great gin, vodka, and a Maple Rye that were outstanding!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: