fordhamfans.com
September 21, 2014, 12:02:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Fox Sports---Gaston Qualified

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fox Sports---Gaston Qualified  (Read 3114 times)
fordahmballer
Sophomore

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2009, 11:39:52 am »

RANDOM NOTES: Plenty of other movement in the Big East lately: Stan Heath has reinstated guard Mike Mercer at South Florida, Bob Huggins has done the same with Joe Mazzulla at West Virginia and Marquette has basically swapped freshman Brett Roseboro with reserve guard Maurice Acker. Roseboro is headed to St. Bonaventure. … Cincinnati, according to Scout.com’s Dave Telep, received a commitment from Montverde (Fla.) power forward Justin Jackson. … Ohio State has won its first two games convincingly over the University of Windsor in its three-game exhibition tour in Canada. David Lighty scored 16 points in his return to action while Evan Turner had 11 points, seven rebounds and four assists in the second game while starting at the point guard spot. … Chris Gaston qualified for Fordham. … Greg Paulus was named a captain for Syracuse. His college football debut will come Saturday at 12 p.m. ET on ESPN2 against Minnesota.
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

RAM71
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 09:38:20 pm »

Zagsblog writes of Gaston eligibility:

GASTON ELIGIBLE AT FORDHAM

Fordham got some huge news this week when it learned that 6-7 recruit Chris Gaston had officially qualified. Gaston, who played for both Bob Hurley at St. Anthony and Dan Hurley at St. Benedict’s as well as at New Hampton (N.H.) Prep, could be a major factor for the Rams as they try to rebuild. Gaston had a monster summer on the AAU circuit and joins an incoming class that also includes Lance Brown of Paterson Catholic.

Both players opted for Fordham in part because of their relationship with sophomore point guard Jio Fontan, a Paterson native who starred at St. Anthony. After initially saying he wouldn’t return to campus, Fontan is back at Fordham. Fordham will have three St. Anthony players in the fold this year with Gaston, Fontan and Alberto Estwick.

The Rams will also have unofficial visits from a slew of talented local products: Myles Mack, Myles Davis, Jarrod Davis, Jarelle Reischel and Sean Grennan.
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 10:33:07 am »

Terrific news for Chris and for the team, hope this is the start of a terrific Fordham career for him.
Report Spam   Logged
PhillyNY
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 11:17:39 am »

Why should the preeminent catholic university in America be so excited that one of its students, who is not paying tuition, books or fees of any kind, has established his academic eligibility to play sports? Should his academic eligibility not have been a foregone conclusion at the time the admissions decision was made?
Report Spam   Logged
West Ram
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 11:56:40 am »

Why should the preeminent catholic university in America be so excited that one of its students, who is not paying tuition, books or fees of any kind, has established his academic eligibility to play sports? Should his academic eligibility not have been a foregone conclusion at the time the admissions decision was made?

Maybe he was fully qualified but they had to submit proof that he had taken all the prereqisite courses to the
NCAA clearinghouse.
Report Spam   Logged
PhillyNY
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 12:12:53 pm »

Maybe he was fully qualified but they had to submit proof that he had taken all the prereqisite courses to the
NCAA clearinghouse.

Fascinating. The reason the NCAA exists is what?
Report Spam   Logged
b.mann
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 12:30:15 pm »

We always seem to have someone to complain about in terms of qualifying/not qualifying/partially qualifying/kinda, sorta thought he was qualifying. Everyone seems to be qualified and on board this year, and now we have a problem with our acceptance/admission policy. Let's be happy that we have nearly a full scholarship roster...when could we say that in the recent past...and hope that everyone can just get along. We have reason for a LITTLE optimism...let's not go overboard...even other blogs and websites are singing a more positive tune. GO RAMS!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 04:25:42 pm by b.mann » Report Spam   Logged
jimbo65
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 12:38:58 pm »

We always seem to have someone to complain about in terms of qualifying/not qualifying/partially qualifying/kinda, sorta thought he was qualifying. Everyone seems to be qualified and on board, and now we have a problem with our acceptance/admission policy. Let's be happy that we have nearly a full scholarship roster...when could we say that in the recent past...and hope that everyone can just get along. We have reason for a LITTLE optimism...let's not go overboard...even other blogs and websites are singing a more positive tune. GO RAMS!
I agree.  To borrow a phrase, some of the posters on this board are like travellers who tour the spots of beauty in this country but rather than focussing on the rivers, mountains, etc., they concentrate on the trash at the side of the road.  Is the trash real, yes, but it is only a small part of reality.  The player is here, he is qualified and likely will make a significant contribution to a program in need of much help. 
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 12:42:09 pm »

b.mann,

I hope this season becomes a pleasant surprise, how they will do I have no idea.  Having all players eligible and healthy at the start of the season is unusual for us given the last few years so we are already off to a good start.  Now we wait to see how well they play, just like fans everywhere.
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 01:39:38 pm »

Look, from all I've read and heard, Gaston is a good kid who came late to taking his academics seriously. When he graduated HS two years ago, there probably would have been no way to get him into Fordham, or get him eligible to play. So he decided to put in two additional years of prep school work so he could qualify to play for us. To a kid that age, two years is an eternity. He could have headed to a JUCO or to some school that would cut corners to get him eligible to play -- but he didn't. He put in two additional years of schoolwork, and summer courses, so he could play for us. I think we've got to admire and credit that, not bemoan it.

Now he's in the spot we were all in at one point -- admitted to Fordham, and having to do the schoolwork to stay in the school in good standing. Good luck to him. He'll have tutoring and counseling available to him, and none of that is in any way inconsistent with Fordham's academic mission. I wish him luck on and off the court.
Report Spam   Logged
Ballernation
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 02:11:42 pm »

Look, from all I've read and heard, Gaston is a good kid who came late to taking his academics seriously. When he graduated HS two years ago, there probably would have been no way to get him into Fordham, or get him eligible to play. So he decided to put in two additional years of prep school work so he could qualify to play for us. To a kid that age, two years is an eternity. He could have headed to a JUCO or to some school that would cut corners to get him eligible to play -- but he didn't. He put in two additional years of schoolwork, and summer courses, so he could play for us. I think we've got to admire and credit that, not bemoan it.

Now he's in the spot we were all in at one point -- admitted to Fordham, and having to do the schoolwork to stay in the school in good standing. Good luck to him. He'll have tutoring and counseling available to him, and none of that is in any way inconsistent with Fordham's academic mission. I wish him luck on and off the court.

John,
I totally agree. Believe it or not I have optimism.Present coach aside, I think what the guys went through last year has somehow shown that THEY will need to pull the wagon uphill in spite of....... It can be done.
Report Spam   Logged
T1L
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 03:02:15 pm »

Great news. From pretty much all available information, Gaston seems to have the ability to be a top tier A10 player and someone who could help us get back to the middle of the pack or higher. Hopefully he can hit the ground running and live up to the hype as a potential impact player. If Jio and Gaston can give us a legitimate top 2, much like Dunston and Stout, they'll cover up a lot of the program's shortcomings and at least give us a fighting chance most of the time.
Report Spam   Logged
PhillyNY
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 03:13:14 pm »

Let there be no misunderstanding. I wish the Mr. Gaston only the best. I'm just puzzled by our institutional approach to things athletic.
Report Spam   Logged
B2Bomber
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 05:01:07 pm »

Academics are a funny thing....its not one size fits all....or maybe better said, its not one grade fits all.   Different people learn in different environments, mature at different stages and so forth.  We dont know the details about Gaston, but the point is that he went to a prep school, qualified and picked Fordham.   He could have gone a lot of places.   He is entitled to a shot here.   

Athletic scholarships are always controversial.  But they are part of the program and part of any great university getting its name out there.    Without scholarships we dont attract the talent in sufficient quantity or quality to make it.   (Yes, I know last year we had a team full of scholarship kids who performed miserably on the court as a team.)

Negativity is part of our problem and we need to fix that.   One step at a time.   Anyone knows that chemistry is the KEY to any team success.    And if Gaston brings spark and chemistry back to the team and lights up Fontan sufficiently we could be on a roll here.

I welcome him to Fordham and hope he does well in the classroom and on the court.

Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 08:38:13 pm »

Let there be no misunderstanding. I wish the Mr. Gaston only the best. I'm just puzzled by our institutional approach to things athletic.

I'm glad for the kid and hope he has a great career.  Unfortunately, though, this is the price we pay for trying to play in "big time" athletics.
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 08:50:28 pm »

I'm glad for the kid and hope he has a great career.  Unfortunately, though, this is the price we pay for trying to play in "big time" athletics.

"Unfortunately" in what way?  Do you know Chris Gaston personally?  Have you met him?  How do you know he won't end up being a credit to Fordham as a player, student and professional in whatever he does after he graduates?  Your negative attitude is prevalent in most of your posts.  Not sure what that's about, but it sure makes it hard to buy your posts.
Report Spam   Logged
ayteefie
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 10:44:52 pm »

I have no problem whatsoever with admitting a kid and letting him fail or succeed on his own merits.  My two buddies from high school played for Yale. No athletic scholarships. The best line I ever heard was from their coach. "Your scholarship is we let you into Yale. " To a certain extent up or down the academic pecking order, accomodations are made.  Is every kid playing lacrosse for Princeton a kid who would be accepted there absent lacrosse?  Is the entire top 5 ranked Cal-Berkley football team getting into that school if not for football? Is every kid or any kid playing hockey for Harvard ever getting in there on his own merits ? Likely not a chance on gods green earth.

I say let the admissions folks make the decisions and we have to trust their judgment.  The only caveat is, and why you see some of these posts, DW constantly references the academics as a recruiting impediment.  So cut this one and paste it the first time DW drops that excuse this season. Fair is fair.

Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2009, 06:59:31 am »

"Unfortunately" in what way?  Do you know Chris Gaston personally?  Have you met him?  How do you know he won't end up being a credit to Fordham as a player, student and professional in whatever he does after he graduates?  Your negative attitude is prevalent in most of your posts.  Not sure what that's about, but it sure makes it hard to buy your posts.

Rambacker....reread.  "I'm glad for the kid and hope he has a great career."  I hope both his playing career and academic career are both resounding successes.  As a point of policy however, there is no way he would have been admitted to Fordham if he were not an athlete.  There are hundreds of kids with far better academic skills who were rejected. Where is their shot at the benefit of the doubt.  I think it is part of a game and we have to accept it but I don't have to like it.  

We spend an awful lot of time on the board agonizing over rankings and points of pride.  It is kind of hard to buy into that when there is no way a student with his credentials would be admitted to any of our aspirant schools as a non-athlete.  I'm all for opportunity.  I'm also for equality.

The argument about Yale and Princeton aren't valid here.  Athletes there may not qualify as regular admits in some cases but they aren't borderline NCAA qualifiers.

As far as your perceived negativity in my posts, please feel free not to read or respond if they are that offensive.

Report Spam   Logged
jimbo65
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2009, 07:29:57 am »

What price is that?  Guess I fail to see how you reconcile your first sentence with the second sentence.  Were I he, I would be offended to say the least.
Report Spam   Logged
ayteefie
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2009, 08:14:50 am »

The argument about Yale and Princeton aren't valid here.  Athletes there may not qualify as regular admits in some cases but they aren't borderline NCAA qualifiers.

I was using that analogy on a sliding scale given their status versus ours. A kid with an 89 average and an 1150 SAT is never even considering applying to Yale or Harvard and would never get accepted but would probably get in to play a sport. That holds true for the almighty West Point also.

I agree with you OC, too many people wax poetic about our purported lofty standards when in reality, we compromise and have compromised too, we just dont win.  Again, I would cut this one out and paste it in front of DW next time we lose  a few games and he starts whining about the admissions being an impediment to recruiting.
Report Spam   Logged
jimbo65
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2009, 08:27:40 am »

What price is that? I can't reconcile your first sentence to the second sentence.  Were I Chris, I would be offended by your comment.   
Report Spam   Logged
UpstateRam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2009, 08:44:04 am »

If Fordham did not want to give a young man like Gaston a chance, then the school has no business being in a conference like the A-10.  What we are doing with Gaston is what all Division -I schools do in one form or another.  What's the problem?
Report Spam   Logged
ayteefie
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2009, 09:15:07 am »

I think you guys are jumping on OC too much here. The reason I say that is we have had to endure a steady diet of DW and Frank's bluster over our rigid academic requirements yet this one player and several others have encountered difficulty meeting minimum qualifier status. Its fair to point it out now.

I also dont think you can say anything is unfair to a kid when his issues with respect to academics are liberally discussed with bloggers or newspaper reporters. If you want to put this stuff out there then its fair game.

Again, most of this information goes from the kid, or the kid's high school coach or the kid's family to quasi media folks so you cant say anything is unfair if it gets scrutiny.

Here is a novel idea. If Im a kid, why not tell the bloggers and anyone surrounding me, my academics are private and priveleged and I choose not to discuss them. End game.

One thing Fordham is good at is keeping a lid on things of a priveleged or possibly nature, sometimes to a fault, but anything that gets out to the media is not coming from Fordham, that goes to the kid.

Report Spam   Logged
jimbo65
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2009, 10:24:02 am »

I think you guys are jumping on OC too much here. The reason I say that is we have had to endure a steady diet of DW and Frank's bluster over our rigid academic requirements yet this one player and several others have encountered difficulty meeting minimum qualifier status. Its fair to point it out now.
As far as I'm concerned OC can write whatever about the Athletic Department and it's administrators.  Condescending compliments i.e., insults re. a recruit is not the way to express displeasure with athletic policy.  Still did not get an answer as to "WHAT PRICE WAS PAID".
Report Spam   Logged
West Ram
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2009, 10:30:11 am »

...The argument about Yale and Princeton aren't valid here.  Athletes there may not qualify as regular admits in some cases but they aren't borderline NCAA qualifiers.
Pleeeeze. What about the sons and daughters of prominent  ($$$$$$$) alumni and politicians. Don't you think they have an edge. and that Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc. stretch the limits from time to time. There's no 100% purity of heart in the admissions office anywhere.
Report Spam   Logged
PhillyNY
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2009, 10:31:20 am »

I know I helped to stir this controversy with an earlier post. However, as others have said, let's not be so high and mighty over our admissions standards, brag about how our acceptance percentage declines annually, magazine rankings and that we are going to be some preeminent this or that. Cut that self-serving gibberish.

Sure, everyone deserves a chance. There are plenty of good, solid schools for a kid who doesn't qualify to be admitted here. If that means we have no place in big time sports, then so be it.

Report Spam   Logged
LXRF
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2009, 12:16:28 pm »

We should be overjoyed that Chris is here and will be on the court.  Period. Discussions about academics is truly meaningless unless you know the entire picture which most do not.
Report Spam   Logged
ayteefie
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2009, 12:23:18 pm »

Disagree LX.  If a kid is going to talk to media outlets or his handlers are going to talk to media outlets about his academic issues, then its public and fair game. Period. You cant have it both ways. 
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2009, 12:25:08 pm »

Disagree LX.  If a kid is going to talk to media outlets or his handlers are going to talk to media outlets about his academic issues, then its public and fair game. Period. You cant have it both ways. 

As far as I know, Gaston has never talked to the media about personal issues.
Report Spam   Logged
ayteefie
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2009, 12:35:11 pm »

http://www.zagsblog.net/2008/10/19/gaston-playaz-win-is8-championship/

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: