fordhamfans.com
April 27, 2017, 10:47:52 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Official Help Dave Roach Pick a New Coach Thread

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Help Dave Roach Pick a New Coach Thread  (Read 18289 times)
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2015, 03:46:30 pm »

Dave Roach is quoted as saying he is not a basketball expert. I readily admit I and others on this board are not experts either but we know more than he does so let's help him out.

My suggestion is that we not simply give names. We have the rest of the season so pick a guy you are interested in and do a little research and post about him. I will be posting about Reed from Lehigh but I want to look at some things later today. He is not at the top of my list but I want to look at someone other than the usual suspects Hurley Smith. I assume someone will cover those guys.

Have at it.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS

Social Buttons

RamFan78
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 03:55:40 pm »

How about we get a new AD and then help with the coach selection. Otherwise maybe they should hire a legitimate consultant like NFL teams to conduct the search. Seriously, there has got to be one veteran or retired coach who can do it. How bout Digger or Dean Smith to name a couple. Heck I would ebven have Vitale choose one as opposed to the people in our administartion.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 03:58:08 pm »

How about we get a new AD and then help with the coach selection. Otherwise maybe they should hire a legitimate consultant like NFL teams to conduct the search. Seriously, there has got to be one veteran or retired coach who can do it. How bout Digger or Dean Smith to name a couple. Heck I would ebven have Vitale choose one as opposed to the people in our administartion.

I get it but this is not the place. We do not always agree but I am looking forward to your contributions in this thread. Dave needs our help.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
caliram
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 04:59:52 pm »

The problems with the basketball program go way beyond the coach.. I mean how many more times are we going to hire and Fire a coach before figuring out what the real problem is..everyone we have hired has had success in the past yet they come to fordham and all the sudden become incompetent coaches?
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 05:07:22 pm »

This is not the place. We are here to help Dave. My Reed post will be up tomorrow.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
JCMB
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 05:08:19 pm »

The problems with the basketball program go way beyond the coach.. I mean how many more times are we going to hire and Fire a coach before figuring out what the real problem is..everyone we have hired has had success in the past yet they come to fordham and all the sudden become incompetent coaches?

I don't know about that.  Hill, DW and Pecora were all suspect and there were questions by many on this board about the wisdom of hiring each of them, especially Pecora.  But I do agree that there is a stench emanating from above as well and that rot has to be eliminated too.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnG92
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 05:16:14 pm »

I don't have names yet but whoever we target has to have been heavily involved in building an unsuccessful program into a winning program. I don't want someone who inherited a winning program. Who is the Dave Clawson equivalent in basketball, someone who specializes in rehab projects.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 05:20:13 pm »

We do not need to fill this thread up now. I started it with the idea that over the next few months we will find a guy or two each to really look at. Wins losses conference injuries reputation facilities etc. No rush Pecora will finish the year but let's have some real posts about candidates when he should be gone after our season ends.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
JohnG92
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 05:24:18 pm »

We do not need to fill this thread up now. I started it with the idea that over the next few months we will find a guy or two each to really look at. Wins losses conference injuries reputation facilities etc. No rush Pecora will finish the year but let's have some real posts about candidates when he should be gone after our season ends.

Got it, I was just trying to define parameters. I guess there is no single ideal profile but I will find a Clawson type profile.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 05:28:10 pm »

What the hell, bring back Penders.  He knows the drill and is always good for lots of laughs.  I bet he could still win 13-14 games and people would be thrilled with that. 
Report Spam   Logged
JohnG92
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 05:33:05 pm »

What the hell, bring back Penders.  He knows the drill and is always good for lots of laughs.  I bet he could still win 13-14 games and people would be thrilled with that. 

Hereby nominated to act as a hiring consultant.
Report Spam   Logged
FFF 516
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 05:36:38 pm »

I am new to the board. One name I have not seen is Tim Cluess of Iona college. Everywhere he has gone he has had a winning record. First at St Marys who produced Danny Green. Next to Suffolk CC where he turned around a losing program. next stop was CW Post and had one year where I think they only lost one game. Then onto Iona where he has had a couple NCAA appearences. His current team scores about 83 points per game and leads div1 in 3pt percentage. Also a great assistant in Jared Grasso
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 05:41:14 pm »

Good one but I am not in favor of him. His recruiting will not fly at fordham and he relies upon superior talent to win. Laury gets arrested at Fordham he is not playing. His team's play no defense. This works in the MAAC but I do not think it will translate to Fordham in the A-10. Better than Pecora but not the answer in my opinion.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2015, 05:46:14 pm »

Clues would be great at Fordham but it wouldn't make sense, I agree.  The guy would want to win.  Fordham just wants not to suck.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2015, 05:49:07 pm »

We should take this matter very seriously. If you want AD Roach replaced, start another topic. If Mr. Roach were let go, the current Mens Hoops Coach (I refuse to use his name in polite company) will weasel out an additional year or two. Stay focused on replacing the coach.
Report Spam   Logged

#ProudToBeARam
JohnG92
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2015, 05:49:32 pm »

Would be a great choice -- Ritchie McKay, Associate HC at UVA.  Here's his bio. Maybe he wants a new challenge. Academic school, top conference, lots of successful head coaching experience, has seen it all. Plus they play defense there. Longshot I know. But worth a call.

Ritchie McKay is in his sixth year as the Virginia men's basketball program's associate head coach. McKay was the men's head basketball coach at Liberty University prior to coming to UVa when he joined head coach Tony Bennett's staff as associate head coach in April of 2009.

McKay came to UVa with 13 years of Division I head coaching experience. Prior to his two years at Liberty (2007-09), McKay spent five seasons at New Mexico, two at Oregon State, two at Colorado State and two at Portland State. Over his career as a head coach, McKay's teams posted a record of 204-186.

In 2008-09, McKay led Liberty to one of the most successful seasons in school history. The Flames were 23-12, tying the school record for wins in a Division I season and reaching the quarterfinals of the inaugural CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament. A key to the program's success was a group of freshmen that comprised McKay's first recruiting class at the school. It was the first Liberty recruiting class to be ranked in the top 50 nationally and was highlighted by Seth Curry, the nation's top freshman scorer at 20.2 ppg.

McKay has the top winning percentage (.582, 39-28) among the head coaches in the history of the Liberty men's basketball program.

Prior to arriving at Liberty, McKay was the head coach at New Mexico for five seasons. His tenure in Albuquerque was highlighted by the 2004-05 season when the Lobos went 26-7 and won the Mountain West Conference championship. McKay coached Danny Granger at New Mexico, a first-round draft choice of the Indiana Pacers and an NBA All-Star.

McKay began his head-coaching career in 1995 when he took over a Portland State program that had been dormant for 15 years. He led the Vikings to nine wins in 1996-97, the program's first year of competition since the early 1980s, and Portland State compiled a 15-12 record in 1997-98. He followed his two years at Portland State with two seasons at Colorado State, leading the Rams to an NIT appearance. He has the second best winning percentage (.617, 37-23) among the head coaches in the history of the Colorado State men's basketball program. McKay then led Oregon State for two seasons before taking over at New Mexico.

A 1987 graduate of Seattle Pacific where he played basketball, McKay began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Washington in 1988. He also served as an assistant coach at Queens College in North Carolina (1989-90), Seattle Pacific (1990-91), Bradley (1991-93) and Washington (1993-95).
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2015, 05:50:52 pm »

Johng gets it good read. Thanks John.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2015, 05:51:20 pm »

Would be a great choice -- Ritchie McKay, Associate HC at UVA.  Here's his bio. Maybe he wants a new challenge. Academic school, top conference, lots of successful head coaching experience, has seen it all. Plus they play defense there. Longshot I know. But worth a call.

Ritchie McKay is in his sixth year as the Virginia men's basketball program's associate head coach. McKay was the men's head basketball coach at Liberty University prior to coming to UVa when he joined head coach Tony Bennett's staff as associate head coach in April of 2009.

McKay came to UVa with 13 years of Division I head coaching experience. Prior to his two years at Liberty (2007-09), McKay spent five seasons at New Mexico, two at Oregon State, two at Colorado State and two at Portland State. Over his career as a head coach, McKay's teams posted a record of 204-186.

In 2008-09, McKay led Liberty to one of the most successful seasons in school history. The Flames were 23-12, tying the school record for wins in a Division I season and reaching the quarterfinals of the inaugural CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament. A key to the program's success was a group of freshmen that comprised McKay's first recruiting class at the school. It was the first Liberty recruiting class to be ranked in the top 50 nationally and was highlighted by Seth Curry, the nation's top freshman scorer at 20.2 ppg.

McKay has the top winning percentage (.582, 39-28) among the head coaches in the history of the Liberty men's basketball program.

Prior to arriving at Liberty, McKay was the head coach at New Mexico for five seasons. His tenure in Albuquerque was highlighted by the 2004-05 season when the Lobos went 26-7 and won the Mountain West Conference championship. McKay coached Danny Granger at New Mexico, a first-round draft choice of the Indiana Pacers and an NBA All-Star.

McKay began his head-coaching career in 1995 when he took over a Portland State program that had been dormant for 15 years. He led the Vikings to nine wins in 1996-97, the program's first year of competition since the early 1980s, and Portland State compiled a 15-12 record in 1997-98. He followed his two years at Portland State with two seasons at Colorado State, leading the Rams to an NIT appearance. He has the second best winning percentage (.617, 37-23) among the head coaches in the history of the Colorado State men's basketball program. McKay then led Oregon State for two seasons before taking over at New Mexico.

A 1987 graduate of Seattle Pacific where he played basketball, McKay began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Washington in 1988. He also served as an assistant coach at Queens College in North Carolina (1989-90), Seattle Pacific (1990-91), Bradley (1991-93) and Washington (1993-95).

His wife would divorce him. 
Report Spam   Logged
JohnG92
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2015, 05:56:33 pm »

Univ of Scranton HC Carl Danzig.  This guy's record is insanely good. Div I experience as well. Defense a priority. Here's his bio.

Carl Danzig’s Midwestern roots have served him well during his 13-year tenure as head coach.

A native of Overland Park, Kansas, Danzig was raised in an area of the country that values hard work, dedication, and humility, just some of the traits that have helped him carry on the Royals’ tradition of success.

His record speaks for itself.  Danzig has led the Royals to seven conference championships—five (2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014) in the last seven years as a member of the Landmark Conference and two (2003, 2006)  in Scranton’s previous affiliation with the Freedom Conference of the Middle Atlantic States Collegiate Athletic Corporation, more commonly known as the Middle Atlantic Conference.

The Royals have also established themselves on the national level during his tenure, making seven NCAA tournament appearances and advancing to the Sweet 16 in 2003 and the Elite Eight in 2012, which was capped off by a 15th-place national ranking by D3hoops.com.

This past season, he was named the Landmark Conference Coach of the Year after leading the Royals to a 24-4 record, the most wins for the program since he led Scranton to 24 victories in 2003.  In addition, the Royals won 12 games in conference play, the most since joining the Landmark in 2007.

His overall record of 245-110 (.690) also includes seven seasons of at least 20 wins and 11 winning campaigns.

Clearly, Danzig’s emphasis on defense and his ability to recruit talented players have paid off handsomely.  The Royals have been at or near the top of the Landmark Conference in fewest points allowed and field goal percentage defense over the past seven years, key factors in Scranton’s 75-23 (.765) league record during this span.  Of the 355 games that Danzig has coached, only 46 opponents (13 percent) have shot at least 50 percent from the field.

His eye for talent has resulted in 15 of his players earning all-Freedom/Landmark Conference honors, including Derek Elphick, the 2003 Freedom Conference Player of the Year; Brian O’Donnell, the 2002 Freedom Rookie of the Year; Zach Ashworth, the 2010 and 2011 Landmark Conference Player of the Year; Travis Farrell, the 2012 Landmark Defensive Player of the Year; Ross Danzig, the 2014 Landmark Player of the Year and 2012 Rookie of the Year, and Tommy Morgan, the 2014 Landmark Defensive Player of the Year.

Ashworth (2009, 2010, 2011), Randy Arnold (2006), Luke Hawk (2012), and Ross Danzig (2014) have also been named all-Mid-Atlantic region by the National Association Basketball Coaches (NABC), while Elphick, O'Donnell, Ashworth, Tom Bicknell, Eli Londo, Farrell, and Danzig have earned similar honors from D3hoops.com.  In 2011, Ashworth also picked up two more prestigious awards, earning first-team Academic All-American honors by the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA) and first-team All-American by the NABC, Scranton’s first All-American since 1993.

Danzig’s ascension to his first head coaching job mirrored that of many in his profession.  He worked through the ranks by starting as a graduate assistant with the men's basketball program at the University of Missouri-Kansas City, where he earned a Master of Arts degree in education before landing a position as an assistant coach at Bucknell University.

During his 11-year tenure there, the Bison posted an overall record of 180-135 (.571) under head coaches Charlie Woollum and Pat Flannery, including seven winning seasons and 20-or-more wins twice (21 in 1992 and 23 in 1993).  The Bison also advanced to the Patriot League championship game four times during Danzig's tenure, losing to Fordham, 70-65, in 1992; Holy Cross, 98-73, in 1993; Navy, 76-75, in 1997; and Lafayette, 67-63, in 1999.
Report Spam   Logged
RAM71
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2015, 06:09:24 pm »

This may be a stretch for us but why not?

Jeff Capel, Associate Head Coach at Duke. Maybe he is the heir apparent to Coach K and that is why his name is never mentioned for openings? I imagine we would need to pay him more than TP.

Former Duke standout Jeff Capel joined the Duke staff as an assistant coach on May 6, 2011 after spending the previous nine years as the head coach at Virginia Commonwealth (2002-06) and Oklahoma (2006-11). He was promoted to associate coach in July of 2013 and then named associate head coach prior to the 2014-15 season.

Capel owns a 175-110 record as a head coach with three NCAA Tournament appearances, including a trip to the Elite Eight in 2008 with Oklahoma.

Report Spam   Logged
JohnG92
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2015, 06:12:42 pm »

Last one for the evening -- American Head Coach Mike Brennan. Here's his bio. Pete Carrill disciple.  Recruits globally.  American among the best in Div 1 in scoring defense.

Mike Brennan, named the 17th head coach of the American University men's basketball program on April 30, 2013, led the Eagles to the top of the Patriot League in his first season at the helm of AU. After a second-place regular season finish, Brennan's squad upset top-seeded Boston University, 55-36, in Boston, to claim American's third-ever Patriot League Championship and trip to the NCAA Tournament.

Brennan was named the Patriot League Coach of the Year and was honored as a finalist for the Joe B. Hall (top first-year head coach) and Hugh Durham (top mid-major head coach) Awards.

The Eagles were transformed under Brennan's guidance, surpassing a ninth-place preseason prediction, to makes it first Tournament berth since 2009. Brennan has actually been a constant for AU, sitting on the bench for each of AU's PL championship teams.

In 2013-14, American was ranked nationally in the top-10 in field goal percentage (.495) and points allowed per game (59.1), finishing seventh in each category. The Eagles were also 37th in country with 15.1 assists per game, using the offense taught to Brennan by legendary Princeton coach Pete Carril.

Brennan goes down as one of the greatest first-year coaches ever at AU, winning more conference games (13) than any other coach, and tying Ed Tapscott for most overall victories (20). He is the only coach to lead his squad to the NCAA Tournament in his first season.

Under Brennan, four Eagles earned All-Patriot League honors, while senior center Tony Wroblicky had a career year, earning PL Defensive Player of the Year Honors. Junior guard Pee Wee Gardner also flourished with Brennan's tutelage, being selected as the Patriot League Tournament MVP.

American was also successful off the court as sophomore guard Jesse Reed earned Patriot League Scholar-Athlete of the Year honors to lead five Eagles on the conference Academic Honor Roll. Junior guard John Schoof was also named to the NABC Honors Court.

Brennan came back to AU after serving four years as an assistant coach at Georgetown University under John Thompson III. Most recently the Hoyas captured a share of the Big East Regular-Season championship and No. 2 seed in the 2013 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament.

"We welcome Mike Brennan back to the AU campus as our new men's basketball coach. He has achieved tremendous success as an assistant coach at prominent programs -- including Georgetown, Princeton, and AU -- and as a former student athlete at Princeton," said President Dr. Neil Kerwin. His athletics experiences and academic values are a perfect match for AU and we look forward to a new era in AU men's basketball."

During his four seasons the team accrued 93 wins, posting at least 21 victories in each year while boasting all-conference players in Otto Porter, Jason Clark, Austin Freeman and Chris Wright, as well as NBA star Gre.g Monroe

During his two seasons at American University, the Eagles experienced their two greatest years in program history, winning back-to-back Patriot League Regular Season and Tournament Championships, advancing to the school's first-ever NCAA Tournament berth.

"I couldn't be more excited about naming Mike Brennan as the next Head Coach at American University! Mike embodies all the qualities we were looking for in a coach: integrity; character; experience recruiting at a high-end academic institution; ability to connect with players; toughness; and unmatched skills in player development and teaching," said Director of Athletics & Recreation Dr. Billy Walker. "Above all, Mike is the ideal role model and mentor for our young men to emulate.  Mike understands the primacy of academics, but knows we can compete for championships as well--he's the perfect fit!" 

AU posted back-to-back 20-win seasons in Brennan's time, posting a program best 24-8 record in 2008-09, including a 13-1 mark in Patriot League play.

"It's extremely exciting to be back at American University and to become head coach of the Eagles," said Brennan. "I'm so grateful to AU athletics director, Billy Walker, and the President of AU, Dr. Kerwin, for this wonderful opportunity. I've been extremely fortunate to have worked at universities that share such strong values and whose athletic programs reflect those values.  I am confident that our program will continue to attract great student-athletes, one that our players, students, supporters and alums can be proud of."

Brennan came to AU from his alma mater, Princeton University. He spent seven seasons with the Tigers, guiding the squad to three Ivy League titles as the top assistant.

Brennan spent a total of 12 years with Ivy League institutions, serving one season as a volunteer assistant coach at Columbia University after culminating an impressive playing career at Princeton.

He was a four-year starter as an undergraduate at Princeton under legendary head coach Pete Carril. Brennan helped lead his team to Ivy League championships and the NCAA Tournament in 1991 and 1992. He was named Second Team All-Ivy in 1994.

After earning his bachelor of arts in English from Princeton in 1994, Brennan went on to play professionally in the European Basketball League for teams in Germany, Belgium and Portugal.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2015, 06:16:35 pm »

Last one for the evening -- American Head Coach Mike Brennan. Here's his bio. Pete Carrill disciple.  Recruits globally.  American among the best in Div 1 in scoring defense.

Mike Brennan, named the 17th head coach of the American University men's basketball program on April 30, 2013, led the Eagles to the top of the Patriot League in his first season at the helm of AU. After a second-place regular season finish, Brennan's squad upset top-seeded Boston University, 55-36, in Boston, to claim American's third-ever Patriot League Championship and trip to the NCAA Tournament.

Brennan was named the Patriot League Coach of the Year and was honored as a finalist for the Joe B. Hall (top first-year head coach) and Hugh Durham (top mid-major head coach) Awards.

The Eagles were transformed under Brennan's guidance, surpassing a ninth-place preseason prediction, to makes it first Tournament berth since 2009. Brennan has actually been a constant for AU, sitting on the bench for each of AU's PL championship teams.

In 2013-14, American was ranked nationally in the top-10 in field goal percentage (.495) and points allowed per game (59.1), finishing seventh in each category. The Eagles were also 37th in country with 15.1 assists per game, using the offense taught to Brennan by legendary Princeton coach Pete Carril.

Brennan goes down as one of the greatest first-year coaches ever at AU, winning more conference games (13) than any other coach, and tying Ed Tapscott for most overall victories (20). He is the only coach to lead his squad to the NCAA Tournament in his first season.

Under Brennan, four Eagles earned All-Patriot League honors, while senior center Tony Wroblicky had a career year, earning PL Defensive Player of the Year Honors. Junior guard Pee Wee Gardner also flourished with Brennan's tutelage, being selected as the Patriot League Tournament MVP.

American was also successful off the court as sophomore guard Jesse Reed earned Patriot League Scholar-Athlete of the Year honors to lead five Eagles on the conference Academic Honor Roll. Junior guard John Schoof was also named to the NABC Honors Court.

Brennan came back to AU after serving four years as an assistant coach at Georgetown University under John Thompson III. Most recently the Hoyas captured a share of the Big East Regular-Season championship and No. 2 seed in the 2013 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament.

"We welcome Mike Brennan back to the AU campus as our new men's basketball coach. He has achieved tremendous success as an assistant coach at prominent programs -- including Georgetown, Princeton, and AU -- and as a former student athlete at Princeton," said President Dr. Neil Kerwin. His athletics experiences and academic values are a perfect match for AU and we look forward to a new era in AU men's basketball."

During his four seasons the team accrued 93 wins, posting at least 21 victories in each year while boasting all-conference players in Otto Porter, Jason Clark, Austin Freeman and Chris Wright, as well as NBA star Gre.g Monroe

During his two seasons at American University, the Eagles experienced their two greatest years in program history, winning back-to-back Patriot League Regular Season and Tournament Championships, advancing to the school's first-ever NCAA Tournament berth.

"I couldn't be more excited about naming Mike Brennan as the next Head Coach at American University! Mike embodies all the qualities we were looking for in a coach: integrity; character; experience recruiting at a high-end academic institution; ability to connect with players; toughness; and unmatched skills in player development and teaching," said Director of Athletics & Recreation Dr. Billy Walker. "Above all, Mike is the ideal role model and mentor for our young men to emulate.  Mike understands the primacy of academics, but knows we can compete for championships as well--he's the perfect fit!" 

AU posted back-to-back 20-win seasons in Brennan's time, posting a program best 24-8 record in 2008-09, including a 13-1 mark in Patriot League play.

"It's extremely exciting to be back at American University and to become head coach of the Eagles," said Brennan. "I'm so grateful to AU athletics director, Billy Walker, and the President of AU, Dr. Kerwin, for this wonderful opportunity. I've been extremely fortunate to have worked at universities that share such strong values and whose athletic programs reflect those values.  I am confident that our program will continue to attract great student-athletes, one that our players, students, supporters and alums can be proud of."

Brennan came to AU from his alma mater, Princeton University. He spent seven seasons with the Tigers, guiding the squad to three Ivy League titles as the top assistant.

Brennan spent a total of 12 years with Ivy League institutions, serving one season as a volunteer assistant coach at Columbia University after culminating an impressive playing career at Princeton.

He was a four-year starter as an undergraduate at Princeton under legendary head coach Pete Carril. Brennan helped lead his team to Ivy League championships and the NCAA Tournament in 1991 and 1992. He was named Second Team All-Ivy in 1994.

After earning his bachelor of arts in English from Princeton in 1994, Brennan went on to play professionally in the European Basketball League for teams in Germany, Belgium and Portugal.

His wife would want a separation but custody of the kids.

Sorry.  I'll stop now. Wink. I can't help it.  As I sit here and watch former D-III coach Mike Longran and a full house at GWU. 
Report Spam   Logged
JohnG92
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2015, 06:21:04 pm »

AOC, add some names...
Report Spam   Logged
Fordham Road
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2015, 06:24:38 pm »

Tony Shaver of W&M:

When Tony Shaver accepted the head coaching position at William and Mary in May of 2003, he set his sights on making the Tribe a championship-contending program. Fast-forward to the present, the two-time CAA Coach of the Year and National Mid-Major Coach of the Year finalist has led a revival of the Green and Gold program. Over the last five seasons, W&M has produced two of its seven 20-win seasons and advanced to the CAA Championship game on three occasions over the last seven years, a first in program history. In 2010, Shaver led the program to just its second-ever postseason bid in the National Invitational Tournament.

Shaver is W&M’s all-time winningest head coach with 136 victories over his 11 seasons on the Green and Gold sidelines. Over his 27 years as a collegiate head coach, he is one of the winningest active coaches in college basketball. Shaver entered 2014-15 ranked 22nd among active Division I head coach and currently has 494 career victories. He is just six wins shy of becoming the 86th Division I head coach to win 500 games.  Shaver possesses four of the top eight single-season win totals in Tribe history and two of the top three road win totals in a year.

On 13 occasions, a W&M player has been named All-CAA under Shaver, while another eight have been named to the CAA All-Rookie Team. In 2014, Omar Prewitt became the second Tribe freshman under Shaver to earn CAA Rookie of the Year honors, and Marcus Thornton became just the third W&M player and second under Shaver to earn first team all-league honors. Four Tribe players have been named to the CAA Scholar-Athlete of the Year, including Adam Hess, a 2004 graduate, who was named the CAA Male Scholar-Athlete of the Year (for all sports) and was a First-Team Academic All-American in 2004.

In four of the last five years, a W&M student-athlete received the CAA’s prestigious Dean Ehlers Leadership Award, which is given to the student-athlete who “embodies the highest standards of leadership, integrity and sportsmanship in conjunction with his academic athletic achievement.” David Schneider won the award in 2010, while Quinn McDowell became the first-ever two-time winner of the honor in 2011 and 2012. In 2014, Tim Rusthoven earned the distinction to go along with being an NABC Allstate Good Works Team nominee. In 2012, McDowell became the first CAA men’s basketball student athlete to be named one of 10 finalists for the Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award on his way to Lowe’s Senior CLASS Second-Team All-America honors.

Shaver led the Tribe posted a 20-win season in 2013-14, coming to the brink of a CAA Championship for the third time in seven years. During the year, W&M picked up a road win at American Athletic Conference (AAC) foe Rutgers along with knocking off instate rival Old Dominion for the third straight time, the longest win streak in the series history for W&M. The Green and Gold totaled eight road wins on the year, which ranks third in Tribe history.

W&M posted double-digit CAA victories, going 10-6 in 2013-14, for the third time in the last seven seasons. The Tribe finished third in the final CAA standings, before ripping off tournament wins over the College of Charleston, 70-59, and No. 2 seed Towson, 75-71, to earn a spot in the Championship. W&M fell in heartbreaking fashion, coming up just shy of the program’s first NCAA Tournament bid as a Delaware bucket with just over 12 seconds remaining gave the Blue Hens a 75-74 victory.
Report Spam   Logged
RamFan78
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2015, 06:25:35 pm »

This may be a stretch for us but why not?

Jeff Capel, Associate Head Coach at Duke. Maybe he is the heir apparent to Coach K and that is why his name is never mentioned for openings? I imagine we would need to pay him more than TP.

Former Duke standout Jeff Capel joined the Duke staff as an assistant coach on May 6, 2011 after spending the previous nine years as the head coach at Virginia Commonwealth (2002-06) and Oklahoma (2006-11). He was promoted to associate coach in July of 2013 and then named associate head coach prior to the 2014-15 season.

Capel owns a 175-110 record as a head coach with three NCAA Tournament appearances, including a trip to the Elite Eight in 2008 with Oklahoma.

He not leaving with shot at Duje job. Nothing to gain coming here.
Report Spam   Logged
RamFan78
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2015, 06:28:02 pm »

how about Patrick Ewing. Can't get a shot in the NBA but many feel he is ready to be a head coach. Would bring instant recognition and draw some recruiting possibilities.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2015, 06:33:35 pm »

AOC, add some names...

I just don't know in all seriousness.  I can't see a qualified assistant from a name brand program coming.  The down-side is to great.  I'm comparing it to football.  If you're the coordinator at a Power Conference school, do you leave that to take the HC job at Columbia?   I think we're looking at a guy no one has heard of or a coach who wants back in.   Maybe Tim Welsh?  He probably has his license back by now.  He could get out and recruit...
Report Spam   Logged
davebucknerwasmyhero
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2015, 06:34:20 pm »

Dean Smith has dementia.  I hope you were kidding.  Undecided
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2015, 06:34:58 pm »

I'd love to at least talk to Rice but I just don't see it.
Report Spam   Logged
RAM71
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2015, 06:36:46 pm »

how about Patrick Ewing. Can't get a shot in the NBA but many feel he is ready to be a head coach. Would bring instant recognition and draw some recruiting possibilities.

We need a coach with proven X & O abilities instead of possible recruiting allure.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: