fordhamfans.com
November 19, 2017, 07:15:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Wine

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wine  (Read 2387 times)
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2015, 02:27:02 pm »

Just had a CloudBreak California Pinot Noir, under ten bucks and very good.

I'm noticing French Wines are now identifying the Grape Varieties in their wines, but only on North American labels.  Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!

Social Buttons

Bronx Boy
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 09:42:56 pm »

Finally, ... a booze thread to which I can relate !

New York State has some very fine fermented grape juice.

Constantly on da lookout fer palatable whites, so, bring it on, you Rose Hill winos !

Report Spam   Logged

Sports blogs often confuse stupidity with edginess.  Just because I can call someone a name, doesnít mean Iím insightful, or tough and edgy.  It just means Iím a jerk.  Itís a high tech place for what idiots used to do on bar stools, in school yards, and on gas station bathroom walls.
 - Bob Costas
Coach P 01
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 10:20:43 am »

North Fork??   My favorites out there are Sparkling Pointe and Lenz..

Also love the finger lake region..   I get annoyed when I go to a NYC restaurant and don't see any NY selections.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 11:37:53 am »

I am not a huge fan of the whites anymore, though I used to be.  If it is warm out and I am having dinner outside, maybe, but usually I will opt for something else these days.

As much as it pains me to say it, due to where they come from, I am a big fan of Malbecs.  Friendly price for what, to me, is good wine.  I am no wine snob though.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Bronx Boy
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 12:35:41 pm »

North Fork ?  My favorites out there are Sparkling Pointe and Lenz.  Also love the Finger Lakes region.  I get annoyed when I go to a NYC restaurant and don't see any NY selections.
... and just why is dat, Coach P ?  New York State has some of da finest wines around.

Da North Fork has 270 growing days, and mimics the climate of the best wine growing regions of France.

We really don't have to go half way 'round da world to get good wine.  It be right here !
Report Spam   Logged

Sports blogs often confuse stupidity with edginess.  Just because I can call someone a name, doesnít mean Iím insightful, or tough and edgy.  It just means Iím a jerk.  Itís a high tech place for what idiots used to do on bar stools, in school yards, and on gas station bathroom walls.
 - Bob Costas
Coach P 01
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 01:05:09 pm »

BB, I guess its NY pride.    Honestly, I'm looking for bang for my buck and consistency.   NY definitely provides that. 

Don't get me wrong, there is definitely junk out there, wineries that are looking for the party.   However there are a lot of gems.  Ace, grab a NY state semi dry Riesling for those summer white days.

Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 01:43:34 pm »

... and just why is dat, Coach P ?  New York State has some of da finest wines around.

Da North Fork has 270 growing days, and mimics the climate of the best wine growing regions of France.

We really don't have to go half way 'round da world to get good wine.  It be right here !

True BB: Sunny Days, good drainage, and cool nights are critical to growing da grapes.  The west coast north of SFO is great, but the water supply can be iffy.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
Bronx Boy
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 01:55:33 pm »

Ace, grab a New York State semi dry Riesling for those summer white days.
Rieslings are wonderful for a light summer refreshment.
Report Spam   Logged

- Bob Costas
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 03:10:03 pm »

BB, I guess its NY pride.    Honestly, I'm looking for bang for my buck and consistency.   NY definitely provides that. 

Don't get me wrong, there is definitely junk out there, wineries that are looking for the party.   However there are a lot of gems.  Ace, grab a NY state semi dry Riesling for those summer white days.

Not a big fan of Rieslings.  I am also not in NY so not sure I would seek it out just b/c it is from NY.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
vinnys
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 10:25:51 pm »

Chile    Argentina   New Zealand   best values in my book    avoid the areas where the land is expensive, it will be embedded in the cost of the overpriced wine
Report Spam   Logged
Bronx Boy
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 11:47:57 pm »

Not a big fan of Rieslings.  I am also not in NY, so not sure I would seek it out just b/c it is from NY.
Perhaps you should purchase alcoholic beverages that are produced in Charm City.  I'm sure there is a large selection available for your geocentric palate.
Report Spam   Logged

- Bob Costas
Bronx Boy
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 11:51:46 pm »

I am not a huge fan of the whites anymore, ... though I used to be.  
Whut happened ?

Dark reds have much too much tannin in 'em.  They taste bitter to me.  A good Zinfandel, however, is just whut da doctor ordered.

Guess it's just a matter of one's personal palate.

Bottom line ?  Wine ain't bad fer ya !
Report Spam   Logged

- Bob Costas
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 04:19:28 pm »

I have been making wine for 6 years now with my sons and sons in law - we won a double gold medal from the local chapter of the American Wine Society one year.  The wine we made was a blend of Cabernet, Zinfandel and Barbera.
Report Spam   Logged
Bronx Boy
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 08:28:56 am »

I have been making wine for six years now with my sons and sons in law.  We won a double gold medal from the local chapter of the American Wine Society one year.  The wine we made was a blend of Cabernet, Zinfandel and Barbera.
Hope you guys washed between yer toes before ya did that !  Want to keep da wine separate from da cheese !  LOL !

traditional wine making:   
Report Spam   Logged

- Bob Costas
Coach P 01
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2015, 08:38:59 am »

Just got back from a trip out east, hit up Sparkling Pointe, lenz, McCall, and Croteaux.

SP was good as always, but I really liked Croteaux the best.  Rose is not usually my thing, but it was really nice.

Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2015, 07:41:23 am »

As a North Fork guy, I don't usually promote the Hamptons, but my bride of 52 years loves the Rose from Wolffer (with an umlaut over the o) in Sagaponack. They have two versions, one for $18 and one for app. $24. We have only tried the less expensive brand, which has become so popular, that the vineyard ran out of product in late August/September the last two years. It's available in many wine stores in Manhattan including the one owned by Whole Foods on Columbus between 97th & 98th Streets. It's also served at Le Bernardin, if you're spending big bucks for a very special occasion.

For day-to-day consumption, however, my common palate is more than satisfied by the 1.5 Liter bottles of D'Aquino Chianti bottled in Firenze, Italy and imported by D'Aquino Italian Importing Co., Duarte, CA. The cost is $10.00 per bottle and may be purchased at the Trader Joe's wine store on the south side of 14th Street, just west of Third Avenue. Not only that but the bottles are wrapped in straw and some of you old gents may remember neighborhood, Italian restaurants years ago, which featured straw-covered wine bottles with candles in them on red and white checkered tablecloths. These are they.
Report Spam   Logged
77SunsetStrp
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2015, 12:07:23 pm »

Some excellent NC wines.....and they grow their own...no more imported grapes or wholesale grape buying.  They do tend to be pricey because they are small batch.  But award winners.     

I lean strongly to the reds.    Dont like sweet wines generally, but a few german sweet reds caught my attention.  The one exception was a bottle (375ml) of Late Harvest Riesling from a small Napa Valley Winery I was given many years ago.....it was a holiday wine, to be consumed like sherry.    Usually with a cigar. It was absolutely stunning.   

I like single variety, blends and different flavors.    Cabs, Pinots, Zins, Malbecs, etc.    Prefer them dry and a bit of hint of blackberry or cherry.    Love the aroma.      Depends on the food I am eating....a different wine with pasta than with a realman TBone.   A different wine with a TBone or NewYorkcut than a Prime Rib or Filet Mignon 10oz. cut.    Different wine with cheese and kinda cheese.    I LOVE an English Stilton Cheese.

But I also like a room temp drippy Camembert or Brie with fresh blueberries.     

I like a massively sharp Vermont chedder too.

I also like really really tart apples, crisp.....with a slice of cheese....and a nice white wine...normally a lovely flavorful smooth oaky Chardonnay.   

Not a snob, btw.   There a  million really really good wines for sale in the 10-17.00 range.   

Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2015, 08:26:43 pm »

I'm not a fan of bitter or wine with too much tannin.

Cab and Pinot Noir are my favorites.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
xkaydet65
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2015, 08:35:24 pm »

Cab Franc is the true signature red of the North Fork. Try Castello Borghese snd Osprey Dominion. Macari two sauv blancs, Katherine Field and Field No.1 are a treat. For tasting room ambiance I really like Sherwood on the Main Road. North Fork is God's Country to me. But EOLFER Chardonnay is excellent.
Report Spam   Logged
kenman
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2015, 08:41:30 pm »

The North Fork may not be "God's Country" but it sure is beautiful. Lots of excellent wineries and eateries.
Report Spam   Logged
tuckertomm
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2015, 10:10:56 am »

But EOLFER Chardonnay is excellent.
My guess is you mean Wolffer Estate's Chardonnay from the South Fork. I've lived on the North Fork for over 30 years, it is beautiful. Lots to see and do.
Report Spam   Logged
Bronx Boy
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2015, 11:06:12 am »

The North Fork may not be "God's Country",... but, it sure is beautiful.  Lots of excellent wineries and eateries.
The entire East End wuz God's County fifty years ago.

Da South Fork wuz da foist to fall victim to the economy, as long time farmers, unable to pay their increasing taxes, sold off their potato fields to greedy developers.  Local municipalities had their heads up their butts, ... or perhaps, were actually in on the massive development push.  see:  Roy Wines, former Southampton mayor (1979-1985)

At any rate, zoning changes were a day late, 'n' a dollar short, as da sayin' goes, as half acre zoning slowly gave way to one acre zoning, which slowly gave way to two acre zoning, ... and then, finally, ... to five acre zoning, ... but, by then, da damage, as they say, wuz done.  Lavish Levittowns sprung up everywhere, adding to the pollution and, the congestion of da once pristine South Fork.

Back in da late eighties, early nineties, having been an Eastender on the South Fork since da mid-seventies, I began to notice da sounds of da highway, as I toiled in my heirloom vegetable garden.  That wuz indeed troubling, since my place wuz tucked waaaay back in da boonies in da North Sea area of Southampton.  Time to go, said I, ... and, I relocated to the North Fork.

Da North Fork wuz initially spared from development, as the potato fields were transformed, not into lavish Levittowns, but into vineyards, and, horse farms.  The Peconic Land Trust wuz instrumental in purchasing tracts of land to be protected from residential development. 

At this writing, however, several large North Fork farms are up fer sale, and da outcomes of these real estate transactions may well issue in yet anudder construction boom, ... this time on da North Fork !  Da one-two knockout combo fer da East End !     

God's Country sold out fer thirty pieces of silver !

We're doing' it to ourselves, ... 'n' da end result ain't gonna be pretty !
Report Spam   Logged

- Bob Costas
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2015, 11:28:00 am »

The entire East End wuz God's County fifty years ago.

Da South Fork wuz da foist to fall victim to the economy, as long time farmers, unable to pay their increasing taxes, sold off their potato fields to greedy developers.  Local municipalities had their heads up their butts, ... or perhaps, were actually in on the massive development push.  see:  Roy Wines, former Southampton mayor (1979-1985)

At any rate, zoning changes were a day late, 'n' a dollar short, as da sayin' goes, as half acre zoning slowly gave way to one acre zoning, which slowly gave way to two acre zoning, ... and then, finally, ... to five acre zoning, ... but, by then, da damage, as they say, wuz done.  Lavish Levittowns sprung up everywhere, adding to the pollution and, the congestion of da once pristine South Fork.

Back in da late eighties, early nineties, having been an Eastender on the South Fork since da mid-seventies, I began to notice da sounds of da highway, as I toiled in my heirloom vegetable garden.  That wuz indeed troubling, since my place wuz tucked waaaay back in da boonies in da North Sea area of Southampton.  Time to go, said I, ... and, I relocated to the North Fork.

Da North Fork wuz initially spared from development, as the potato fields were transformed, not into lavish Levittowns, but into vineyards, and, horse farms.  The Peconic Land Trust wuz instrumental in purchasing tracts of land to be protected from residential development. 

At this writing, however, several large North Fork farms are up fer sale, and da outcomes of these real estate transactions may well issue in yet anudder construction boom, ... this time on da North Fork !  Da one-two knockout combo fer da East End !     

God's Country sold out fer thirty pieces of silver !

We're doing' it to ourselves, ... 'n' da end result ain't gonna be pretty !

Dan Jenkins wrote a great line about God Country......he said "how do we know that God doesn't prefer great restaurants, Broadway, witty urban conversation?"
Report Spam   Logged
Coach P 01
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2015, 01:59:02 pm »

As a North Fork guy, I don't usually promote the Hamptons, but my bride of 52 years loves the Rose from Wolffer (with an umlaut over the o) in Sagaponack. They have two versions, one for $18 and one for app. $24. We have only tried the less expensive brand, which has become so popular, that the vineyard ran out of product in late August/September the last two years.

yes my wife loves the bottles from wolffer.  We usually stink to the north fork for wine, I really liked the Cab franc rose from Cruteax..
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2015, 02:20:19 pm »

yes my wife loves the bottles from wolffer.  We usually stink to the north fork for wine, I really liked the Cab franc rose from Cruteax..

Duck Walk has vineyards on the North and South fork.. my wife is a big fan of their pinot grigio. Cost about $15 at the vineyard, but about 8 at a local liqour store.
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2015, 11:59:43 pm »

Coach P 01, Croteaux is my wife and daughter's very spot on the North Fork for a summer Rose on a hazy, hot and humid day in July or August while I'm out sailing in the afternoon.
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2016, 05:01:15 am »

As spring is upon us and more and more people are visiting the North Fork on weekends or opening their houses for the summer, if you are looking for a terrific winery with a number of good products, be sure to stop by Macari's Vineyards on the North Road (County Rd. # 48) in Mattituck. It's owned by Alexandra & Joe Macari & Family, one of whom is their daughter, Gabriella, who is an alumna, Class of 2009, and was an outstanding sailor for Fordham during her four years on the team. The Macaris have always supported the Fordham Sailing Team and Gabriella is now their Marketing guru. They have a second location on the Main Road (Route 25), which is not as crowded, but for a beautiful and relaxing venue to enjoy a glass of wine overlooking the vineyards, their deck on the North Road is tough to beat.   
Report Spam   Logged
Coach P 01
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2016, 08:44:59 am »

As spring is upon us and more and more people are visiting the North Fork on weekends or opening their houses for the summer, if you are looking for a terrific winery with a number of good products, be sure to stop by Macari's Vineyards on the North Road (County Rd. # 48) in Mattituck. It's owned by Alexandra & Joe Macari & Family, one of whom is their daughter, Gabriella, who is an alumna, Class of 2009, and was an outstanding sailor for Fordham during her four years on the team. The Macaris have always supported the Fordham Sailing Team and Gabriella is now their Marketing guru. They have a second location on the Main Road (Route 25), which is not as crowded, but for a beautiful and relaxing venue to enjoy a glass of wine overlooking the vineyards, their deck on the North Road is tough to beat.   

Dilberto is another alum - are there any other Fordham connections out there? 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: