fordhamfans.com
May 23, 2017, 03:01:28 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Official New Coach Thread

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 56   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official New Coach Thread  (Read 32963 times)
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2015, 10:59:09 am »

Ok let's get back to talking about candidates. We all know we want Hurley so let's move on. What is not welcome in this thread is pontification on other stuff. The effect this board has on the selection is also not a welcome topic.  We have none but enjoy talking about potential candidates.

What is interesting for me is that Smith from Columbia has fallen since his team struggled this year. He lost his top two starters but I still think they underachieved.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS

Social Buttons

rambones
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 11:09:08 am »

Ok let's get back to talking about candidates. We all know we want Hurley so let's move on. What is not welcome in this thread is pontification on other stuff. The effect this board has on the selection is also not a welcome topic.  We have none but enjoy talking about potential candidates.

What is interesting for me is that Smith from Columbia has fallen since his team struggled this year. He lost his top two starters but I still think they underachieved.

What about Mike Rice?  I know some say the admin would never hire Mike, and that may in fact be the case, but many of these same people (myself included) did not think they would pull the trigger on Pecora.   

He can coach x and o's.  He gets the best out of his talent.  Defensive minded and fully understands the challenges at Fordham.  Big question would be whether his past at Rutgers would hurt him recruiting.

If not Mike, I like his successor at Robert Morris, Andrew Toole.  Much different on court demeanor than Mike but seemed to adopt all of Mike's best qualities in a coach.
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 11:12:32 am »

I want Rice to get a second chance but not sure we are the right place for him to get it. With that said, if he wants a shot he should contact Fordham and they should talk to him.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 11:15:55 am »

Larry Davs. Cincy
Report Spam   Logged
mrjonesandme
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 11:21:25 am »

This may sound bananas but why not make a call to Patrick Ewing? Don't see him getting a big HC job any time soon, has Fordham connections (daughter), who knows?
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 11:23:07 am »

I still like Becker from Vermont but Andy Toole maybe what we need. Young energetic and his teams defend. I also heard he runs tight practices. Get ready to focus guys if Toole is hired. No more screwing around during drills.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 11:23:51 am »

This may sound bananas but why not make a call to Patrick Ewing? Don't see him getting a big HC job any time soon, has Fordham connections (daughter), who knows?

Not a college coach but I like new names to discuss.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
ramfan01
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 11:26:05 am »

I think Rich93 mentioned this in another thread, but I agree it is very important to hire a coach who is looking to move up, a young coach.  People are talking about bogus incentives, well, if your 40 years old, your career is your incentive.  If you are 55 and have coached at 2 other places, you can retire even if we continue to lose.  Much less pressure.
Report Spam   Logged
w89
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 11:27:36 am »

I still like Becker from Vermont but Andy Toole maybe what we need. Young energetic and his teams defend. I also heard he runs tight practices. Get ready to focus guys if Toole is hired. No more screwing around during drills.

After watching their last two games, I agree about Toole.
Report Spam   Logged
02grad
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 11:29:20 am »

I think maybe Coen at Northeastern should be getting more of a look after watching his team play yesterday.  Loved the type of guys he has and it seems he's gotten under-recruited players from Ohio, Minnesota, etc. which I think is an important skill our candidates.

I of course love the idea of Hurley but agree its likely not realistic.  I think going hard after Toole would be smart.  We'd be getting him at the right time.  Its only a matter of time that bigger programs come calling if they haven't already.  Hes from Staten Island, tireless worker, very good recruiter of the tri-state area, was the "brains" on Rice's staff.  Being in Pittsburgh you hear a lot about what they've done at RMU to keep him.  Their AD gets it.  Good article:

http://www.kansas.com/sports/article14577896.html
Report Spam   Logged
ramitthru
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 11:33:30 am »

Not a college coach but I like new names to discuss.

I'm not too sure that's a deterrent. His X's and O's ability is up in the air but his recruiting, on the surface, would be a big help. Would also add tons of hype to the program.

Just a thought. I also really like Toole and Prioleau.
Report Spam   Logged
RAM71
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 11:38:01 am »

Toole is now my second choice after Hurley (and assuming Capel is not a candidate). And maybe he brings Mike Rice as Associate head Coach? The ideal scenario is for Toole to be very successful and, if he leaves for a bigger job after 3 or 4 years, Mike Rice takes over because he has behaved impeccably   
Report Spam   Logged
JohnG92
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 11:40:04 am »

how about the St. Peters coach?  He seems to do a consistently good job with no facilities.

we need someone the guys can relate to -- like the idea of a young hungry go getter. Toole would be worth serious consideration. Jean Prioleau merits a serious look, he's won at Fordham.
Report Spam   Logged
RAM71
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 11:41:21 am »

how about the St. Peters coach?  He seems to do a consistently good job with no facilities.

we need someone the guys can relate to -- like the idea of a young hungry go getter. Toole would be worth serious consideration. Jean Prioleau merits a serious look, he's won at Fordham.

I think Jean Prioleau should get an interview.
Report Spam   Logged
Battering Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2015, 11:43:05 am »

it's nearly impossible to know how and assistant coach will do but based on others who worked for Thad Matta, I'd like Jeff Boals.  I'm not sure if we could get him but I hope we try.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2015, 11:43:30 am »

I'm not too sure that's a deterrent. His X's and O's ability is up in the air but his recruiting, on the surface, would be a big help. Would also add tons of hype to the program.

Ewing worries me because he's been an assistant coach in the NBA for a very long time. You gotta wonder why he's never had a chance to lead a team? Guys (Fischer, Kidd) are jumping to the head coaching role right out of retirement. He could add some good publicity and maybe help with recruiting... but there are way too many unknowns and i'm not sure thats the right move for us.
Report Spam   Logged
rambones
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2015, 11:44:41 am »

Toole is now my second choice after Hurley (and assuming Capel is not a candidate). And maybe he brings Mike Rice as Associate head Coach? The ideal scenario is for Toole to be very successful and, if he leaves for a bigger job after 3 or 4 years, Mike Rice takes over because he has behaved impeccably   

Agree.  That would be a great scenario.  I just wonder if a guy like Toole would take the job as I would imagine there will be other offers out there for him and there are not many tougher than the Fordham job.

In retrospect, you wonder if Rice had to do it all over again, if he would have stayed at RMU rather than go to a place like Rutgers which also has a history of losing.
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2015, 11:46:57 am »

Mike could  go back toRMU if we hire Toole.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2015, 11:50:55 am »

Surround him with solid assistants and you might have something.  

I think there are non-basketball reasons he hasn't gotten a shot in the nba.
Report Spam   Logged
rambones
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2015, 11:51:11 am »

Mike could  go back toRMU if we hire Toole.

Maybe, but I would think he might need to go the assistant route first to earn his way back
Report Spam   Logged
Ram 83
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2015, 11:57:45 am »

Mike Young at Wofford.  That team was really well coached.  He's been there a while, so I'm not sure how inclined he is to leave, and he's from the VA area, so I don't know how well connected he is to this area.  But the guy can coach, it's worth a call.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2015, 12:14:42 pm »

I think Rich93 mentioned this in another thread, but I agree it is very important to hire a coach who is looking to move up, a young coach.  People are talking about bogus incentives, well, if your 40 years old, your career is your incentive.  If you are 55 and have coached at 2 other places, you can retire even if we continue to lose.  Much less pressure.

Talk coaches or take it to another thread.   Evil
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
riverdaleram
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2015, 12:23:12 pm »

Come on, people. Let's get a big time coach in here. Not the bottom of the barrel. Aim high and get noticed. Jeff Van Gundy !!!!!
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2015, 12:26:08 pm »

I would look at Mark Jackson before JVG.  However, a young college coach is needed.  LaFleur is my top pick.
Report Spam   Logged
JCMB
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2015, 12:33:13 pm »

I think Jim Engles from NJIT should be given a hard look.  NJIT was a recent addition to D1.  In 2008-2009 their record was 1-30.  This year they are 19-11. This week they are playing in the CIT tournament having beaten New Hampshire earlier this week and hosting Cleveland State tonight.  Their gym is even worse than the RHG.  They are having a hard time getting into a conference so they are currently an independent.  They had a high profile win over Michigan earlier this year and close losses to Duquesne and Marquette.  They even beat UMES.   Roll Eyes
They are located in Newark which is a hard sell.  Academically they are a pretty decent school - mostly sciences and engineering.  I think Engles has had a lot of obstacles to overcome - just as Fordham had and still has.

http://www.njithighlanders.com/coaches.aspx?rc=585&path=mbball
Report Spam   Logged
kidfromny
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2015, 12:39:26 pm »

Chris Harriman, assistant at Nebraska, formerly from SLU under Rick Majerus. He's from Australia, which could be a nice little connection to have to add to our player pool.

I'm sure he's not well known, but it's going to be difficult to land some of these big name coaches.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205436060
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2015, 12:39:32 pm »

We don't need hype. We need a good coach. Hype got us Hill.
Report Spam   Logged
RamFan78
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2015, 12:40:03 pm »

Hurly, Toole or Brown would be excellent choices. If we hire a hot assistant it would need to be from a winning program like Capel. Nothing against Prioleau but he would be a hard sell IMO and I am not in favor of hiring a person with Fordham connections. We need someone coming in with fresh ideas and who is willing to try and change the culture. The perception is they would just be a yes man to the administration.
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2015, 12:45:09 pm »

My current Top 10 which is always subject to change:

1. Bob Hurley Jr. - Buffalo HC
2. Jeff Caple - Duke Assitant
3. Steve Massielo - Manhattan HC
4. Andrew Toole - Robert Morris HC
5. Kyle Smith - Columbia HC
6. Andre Lafleur - Providence Assistant
7. Will Brown - Albany HC
8. Andrew Francis - Iowa Assistant
9. Steve Pikell - Stony Brook HC
10. John Becker - Vermont HC

First Five Out: Priouleau, Engles, Rice, Coen, Cluess

Last: Al Skinner
Report Spam   Logged
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2015, 12:55:19 pm »

So far Boals and Toole are at the top of my list, although I have not done much research.  

Engles seems ok but would like for him to have some experience at a bigger school so he was exposed to the big boy pool. see him as a solid fit for a MAAC coaching position

If I had to pick an existing head coach, probably like Toole, Brennan (of American) and Reed (of Lehigh).  Not sure the HC at Vermont has done much, simply keeping a well oiled  machine that Lonegran left for him.
Bill Coen of NE is too old.

I would prefer to younger (ideally 40 or younger), hungry, go getter who sees us as a stepping stone for bigger and better things.  If you can find a coach like Clawson for hoops, you got your man.... a young man with a plan
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 56   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: