fordhamfans.com
March 28, 2017, 12:22:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Fordham Hosts Championship, Semifinal Of Winner-Take-All $1 Million Event, The B

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fordham Hosts Championship, Semifinal Of Winner-Take-All $1 Million Event, The B  (Read 2766 times)
fordham81
Senior

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2015, 12:08:47 pm »

This is pretty cool and provides great visibility for the "Historic" Rose Hill Gym.....

http://www.fordhamsports.com/news/2015/4/17/MBB_0417150842.aspx
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

vinnys
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 02:23:31 pm »

just read up on this event    a million winner take all    I can't imagine the pressure in the final 4    would not want to ref it   
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 11:39:20 pm »

Thee Historic Rose Hill Gym.

Notre Dame alumni are the defending champs.

Reminds me of the pond hockey championship in New Brunswick.

Are Fordham Alums putting a team together?
Report Spam   Logged

#ProudToBeARam
vinnys
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 12:13:07 pm »

tickets are on sale on thetournament.com      bought 4, could not resist watching teams play for a million, winner take all
Report Spam   Logged
fordham81
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 03:33:37 pm »

Smush Parker is on the Big Apple Basketball team- Northeast Region.
Report Spam   Logged
vinnys
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 08:17:35 pm »

Smush Parker is on the Big Apple Basketball team- Northeast Region.

surprised that ex pros are eligible
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 08:22:23 pm »

This is pretty cool and provides great visibility for the "Historic" Rose Hill Gym.....

http://www.fordhamsports.com/news/2015/4/17/MBB_0417150842.aspx

The only visibility that the historic RHG should get is from the cab of a bulldozer.
Report Spam   Logged
vinnys
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 10:05:24 pm »

semis on ESPN Saturday at 2     finals on ESPN Sunday at 3       4 former A-10 players on the final 4 rosters
Report Spam   Logged
fordham81
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 07:43:52 am »

http://www.thetournament.com/news/meet-four-teams-playing-1-000-000
Report Spam   Logged
John
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 11:43:14 am »

The only visibility that the historic RHG should get is from the cab of a bulldozer.

True, that, but I still hope there's a photographer there from the school. I'd love to see a photo project of hoops greats playing at the RHG over the years. By virtue of its location and age, I suspect more famous hoopsters have stepped onto the RHG court than onto any other hardwood in the world.
Report Spam   Logged
vinnys
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 12:58:40 pm »

semis and finals are on ESPN     pretty certain they will not be negative about RHG   
Report Spam   Logged
Ramon
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 02:20:54 pm »

No verbal reference to or acknowledgement of Fordham as the host, pregame or 6 minutes into it. The Fordham logos are visible on the court, but still disappointing from a PR perspective. Obviously, the tournament is not there to promote Fordham, but I hope FU was paid a substantial rental fee. Maybe they will say something at half time.
Report Spam   Logged

“You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.”
― Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Ramon
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 02:37:40 pm »

No verbal reference to or acknowledgement of Fordham as the host, pregame or 6 minutes into it. The Fordham logos are visible on the court, but still disappointing from a PR perspective. Obviously, the tournament is not there to promote Fordham, but I hope FU was paid a substantial rental fee. Maybe they will say something at half time.

Just identified the venue as RHG at FU with 6:50 left in the first half
Report Spam   Logged

“You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.”
― Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Touchdown17
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 02:50:25 pm »

The home page on ESPN has this tournament as on of its lead stories. 

There is a picture of opening tip off of 1st game.  Big Fordham banner in background- clearly visible.

Anyone who clicks on ESPN today will see the Fordham logo, name.  I don't know how much it helps in name recognition nationally but it certainly can't hurt.
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 08:19:34 pm »

Watched for a little while. Kinda fun. Pretty good ball. Joe Hammond and Pee Wee Kirkland in the stands.  I remember going to a summer game at the Gym and seeing Herman Knowlings and Vincent White (among other) play. Have it winner-take-all for $1M is a good hook.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2015, 06:35:15 pm »

Is the Ancient and Historic Rose Hill Gym Air Conditioned?
Report Spam   Logged

#ProudToBeARam
vinnys
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2015, 08:45:55 pm »

attended the game with my sons and grandson   had a great day  this game lived up to its billing   very intense D as you might expect considering the prize   well attended, well organized   St. John's pep band somehow got the gig ( 2 former St. John's players on the winning team ) and did a solid job   

had to feel bad for the losers, end up with zippo after a 2 point loss, missing the final shot at the buzzer   a $800 / 200 K split for winners / losers would have been better but they all knew what they signed up for

hope they return next summer
Report Spam   Logged
77SunsetStrp
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 08:53:13 am »

attended the game with my sons and grandson   had a great day  this game lived up to its billing   very intense D as you might expect considering the prize   well attended, well organized   St. John's pep band somehow got the gig ( 2 former St. John's players on the winning team ) and did a solid job   

had to feel bad for the losers, end up with zippo after a 2 point loss, missing the final shot at the buzzer   a $800 / 200 K split for winners / losers would have been better but they all knew what they signed up for

Channel surfing before supper last evening.....a gorgeous day, 90 but no humidity....for an otherwise BRUTAL summer......I came upon this game and watched with amazement.  Nice to see the RHG full of fans.   And of course the attempt by promoters to promote the event with banners and not Fordham.....and the ESPN guys mentioning the RHG but not Fordham.....apparently they view the A10 and Fordham as competitors....or somehow depleting the event.....but pretty hard to miss the Fordham banners and Block F on court etc.   

However, a decent game at the end.    Not good basketball but a decent game overall....for players who came from no name schools.     Winners barely fielded a team.

I noticed a decent band and said to myself, that is NOT the Fordham band to be certain.    LOL.   

Glad you went Vinny.     
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 09:36:31 am »

Channel surfing before supper last evening.....a gorgeous day, 90 but no humidity....for an otherwise BRUTAL summer......I came upon this game and watched with amazement.  Nice to see the RHG full of fans.   And of course the attempt by promoters to promote the event with banners and not Fordham.....and the ESPN guys mentioning the RHG but not Fordham.....apparently they view the A10 and Fordham as competitors....or somehow depleting the event.....but pretty hard to miss the Fordham banners and Block F on court etc.   

However, a decent game at the end.    Not good basketball but a decent game overall....for players who came from no name schools.     Winners barely fielded a team.

I noticed a decent band and said to myself, that is NOT the Fordham band to be certain.    LOL.   

Glad you went Vinny.     

Speaking of bands....I saw a call on another board to bring a band (or larger band) to the football program.   

If we go down that road .....I'd really hate to see one of those terrible, sarcastic, disrespectful Ivy League crews.  That is the worst thing about Ivy League football.  Those snotty little a-holes mocking anything and everything that butters their bread and makes their bed.
Report Spam   Logged
RoRam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 01:51:24 pm »

Attended as well. Have to say, it was pretty entertaining. Hopefully the Athletic Department took a look a the ST John's band to have an idea what ours should look like. No reason to have another school's band there. I  too hope the tourney returns next year.
Report Spam   Logged

“We didn’t get blown out of many games in the Atlantic 10. … I can see it coming.”

-Tom Pecora
Ram Bam 76
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 02:52:40 pm »

Glad you went Vinny.     

You're not correct. Fordham was mentioned several times and in good ways. The Fordham Ram logo center court was repeatedly shown for two days as was the large Fordham banner. It was great exposure.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 10:05:38 pm »

You're not correct. Fordham was mentioned several times and in good ways. The Fordham Ram logo center court was repeatedly shown for two days as was the large Fordham banner. It was great exposure.

Not a lot of watchers....mainly 3 and 4 star high school players.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2015, 10:12:50 pm »

Attended as well. Have to say, it was pretty entertaining. Hopefully the Athletic Department took a look a the ST John's band to have an idea what ours should look like. No reason to have another school's band there. I  too hope the tourney returns next year.

As a National University, it is harder to get the Band together. Most SJU students are local.
Report Spam   Logged

#ProudToBeARam

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: