fordhamfans.com
October 17, 2017, 04:41:39 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Can anyone recommend a good and moderately priced restaurant near Lincoln Center

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can anyone recommend a good and moderately priced restaurant near Lincoln Center  (Read 3242 times)
SteveMcGarrett
Junior

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2015, 05:21:14 pm »

I am unfamiliar with the dining scene in the area. I am going to see The King and I at the Vivian Beaumont Theatre, and would like to know a good place to dine for dinner.

Many thanks.
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Ramon
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 05:52:10 pm »

I am unfamiliar with the dining scene in the area. I am going to see The King and I at the Vivian Beaumont Theatre, and would like to know a good place to dine for dinner.

Many thanks.

PJ Clark's is right across the street
Report Spam   Logged

“You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.”
― Daniel Patrick Moynihan
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 06:23:32 pm »

Steve, google the Lincoln Center Kitchen in Avery Fisher Hall, 10 Lincoln Center Plaza, and Indie Food & Wine in the Film Society of Lincoln Center's new landmark Elinor Bunin Munroe Film Center. Both are good and moderately priced for the area. Good luck!
Report Spam   Logged
fordham77
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 07:52:02 pm »

Joe, look at you you old Salt....
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 10:56:46 am by fordham77 » Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 09:37:15 pm »

Hey, 77, don't you know that 80 is the new 60, and while I won't commence my 80th year for another four months, I still enjoy a good meal at a moderately priced restaurant.      Wink
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 09:39:09 pm »

Hey, 77, don't you know that 80 is the new 60, and while I won't commence my 80th year for another four months, I still enjoy a good meal at a moderately priced restaurant.      Wink
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 09:43:58 pm »

Joe, you're the man. Good suggestions for my next trip to Lincoln Center.

Thanks.
Report Spam   Logged
Old Maroon10
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 11:33:11 pm »

The Smith on 63rd and Broadway is comparably priced to P.J. Clarke's and fits what you're looking for near LC.  It also provides outdoor dining if it's a nice day.
Report Spam   Logged
SteveMcGarrett
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 11:58:11 pm »

PJ Clark's is right across the street

Muchas gracias, mi muy buen amigo!
Report Spam   Logged
SteveMcGarrett
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 12:06:30 am »

I deeply appreciate all of the suggestions by you nice people. Many thanks.

Now I have good places to choose from.

It is not a real "date". The woman I have dated off-and-on for several years has been relocated out of the country, though we are still in regular contact. I am taking her best friend and co-worker to this play .......... a way of scoring points   Cheesy

Report Spam   Logged
Ram69
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 01:49:08 am »

Steve,

Not many of the restaurants in the Lincoln Center area are really "moderately priced," but here are four places I’ve been to and liked very much.  Probably the least expensive—of these four, anyway—is PJ Clarke’s (44 West 63rd Street) which Ramon mentioned above.  I like it but my wife describes it as “upscale pub-grub.”  If you like Italian food, I always found Café Fiorello (1900 Broadway, between 63rd and 64th) to be quite good—especially the veal dishes.  If you like Mexican, you might try Rosa Mexicano (61 Columbus Avenue) which may be the best Mexican food in the city.  Finally, if you like Chinese, you can’t do much better in NYC than Shun Lee at 43 West 65th Street.  They’re all very close to the Vivian Beaumont.  Have a good time!     

Report Spam   Logged
PhillyNY
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 09:24:34 am »

I second Ram69. You'll do very well in the point scoring department with Shun Lee.
Report Spam   Logged
Battering Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 10:08:47 am »

I'm a little surprised that no one recommended the cafeterias at our LC campus.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
jimbo65
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 10:13:54 am »

I'm a little surprised that no one recommended the cafeterias at our LC campus.  Wink
That's because Steve wanted moderately priced. Wink
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 11:41:41 am »

Steve,

Not many of the restaurants in the Lincoln Center area are really "moderately priced," but here are four places I’ve been to and liked very much.  Probably the least expensive—of these four, anyway—is PJ Clarke’s (44 West 63rd Street) which Ramon mentioned above.  I like it but my wife describes it as “upscale pub-grub.”  If you like Italian food, I always found Café Fiorello (1900 Broadway, between 63rd and 64th) to be quite good—especially the veal dishes.  If you like Mexican, you might try Rosa Mexicano (61 Columbus Avenue) which may be the best Mexican food in the city.  Finally, if you like Chinese, you can’t do much better in NYC than Shun Lee at 43 West 65th Street.  They’re all very close to the Vivian Beaumont.  Have a good time!

On a recent trip to NYC with the family, we had dinner at Rosa Mexicano.  We had never been to the one near LC, but when we lived on the East Side, my wife and I frequented the one on 1st Ave.  I had forgotten how good it was.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
SteveMcGarrett
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 04:07:08 pm »

Steve,

This is awesome. Many thanks, Ram69. I will post more later.
Report Spam   Logged
Bronx Boy
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2015, 04:39:42 pm »

Don't you know that 80 is the new 60 ?
I'll be hittin' 73 in August, Joe, ... but, I've heard it bandied about dat 80 is now da new 79, ... 'n' if I remember to take my calcium citrate along with vitamin D, all of my aches 'n' pains disappear !  It's a miracle !  Do I qualify fer sainthood ?
Report Spam   Logged

Sports blogs often confuse stupidity with edginess.  Just because I can call someone a name, doesn’t mean I’m insightful, or tough and edgy.  It just means I’m a jerk.  It’s a high tech place for what idiots used to do on bar stools, in school yards, and on gas station bathroom walls.
 - Bob Costas
SteveMcGarrett
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2015, 09:20:39 pm »

I want to thank everyone on this board for their help a few days ago.

I gave my friend the four recommendations from this board (PJ's, Shun Lee, Fiorello, Rosa Mexicano) and she chose Rosa Mexicano. It was great ......... reasonably priced for such an exquisite place. We each had a beer, an entree and a dessert...... the bill was $83.47 so I just left $100. My friend thoroughly enjoyed it, as did I.

Muchas gracias (no pun intended). I will have to go to Shun Lee sometime in near future....... I am intrigued!
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2015, 11:41:35 pm »

I gave my friend the four recommendations from this board (PJ's, Shun Lee, Fiorello, Rosa Mexicano) and she chose Rosa Mexicano. It was great ......... reasonably priced for such an exquisite place. We each had a beer, an entree and a dessert...... the bill was $83.47 so I just left $100. My friend thoroughly enjoyed it, as did I.

Muchas gracias (no pun intended). I will have to go to Shun Lee sometime in near future....... I am intrigued!

I'm happy that it went well but if you're going to put us through this effort on finding a place we'll want you to leave a few more bucks on the tip.  Frankly you are on the border between ok and cheap.

10-4?
Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2015, 11:54:42 pm »

I'm happy that it went well but if you're going to put us through this effort on finding a place we'll want you to leave a few more bucks on the tip.  Frankly you are on the border between ok and cheap.

10-4?

He said "... the bill was $83.47 so I just left $100".  $100 minus $83.47= $16.53 tip.  $16.53 tip/$83.47 bill = 19.8% tip.  Unless he was busting the waiter's chops the whole time, I'd say this was a decent tip.  If he got down to below 15% then I think you could say he was a borderline tipper.

Report Spam   Logged
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2015, 06:16:16 am »

10-4?

Not too good with math are you?  Perhaps the "retarded" comment was more of a personal issue.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2015, 08:47:03 am »

10-4?

you didn't even make a suggestion. do you wake up each morning and think ... "hmm, who can I attack on Fordhamfans today?" 20% is standard and is far from cheap. especially considering you have no idea what his situation is. smh
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2015, 09:56:03 am »

you didn't even make a suggestion. do you wake up each morning and think ... "hmm, who can I attack on Fordhamfans today?" 20% is standard and is far from cheap. especially considering you have no idea what his situation is. smh
I'm
If someone on a Fordham discussion board decides to tell me about the tip he left....you can bet your ass I'll point out the borderline nature of it....almost 20% is fine.  Telling us about it is ridiculous.  Hence....ridicule.   
Report Spam   Logged
RAM71
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2015, 10:42:24 am »

Steve, I think that is exactly the tip I would have left- unless my employer was paying for it.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
tuckertomm
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2015, 10:50:06 am »

Glad to hear you enjoyed the restaurant. How was the play? I'm a Lincoln Center graduate, I saw Lee J. Cobb as King Lear at the Vivian Beaumont many moons ago. His performance was superb. BTW the LC cafeteria was enjoyable when the student ballerinas came across the street for a cup of tea. 60 is the new 20!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
ram it 66
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2015, 11:25:30 am »

He said "... the bill was $83.47 so I just left $100".  $100 minus $83.47= $16.53 tip.  $16.53 tip/$83.47 bill = 19.8% tip.  Unless he was busting the waiter's chops the whole time, I'd say this was a decent tip.  If he got down to below 15% then I think you could say he was a borderline tipper.

And in my day you didn't tip on tax. Still true today.
Report Spam   Logged
Bronx Boy
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2015, 11:03:05 pm »

... and, in my day, you didn't tip on tax.  Still true today.
... and you don't tip on booze neither.

Strangely enuf, the term "tips", means: "to insure prompt service", and wuz traditionally proffered before the meal, ... to, ... well, insure prompt service.

Bronx Boy, aka, da Meal Man
Report Spam   Logged

Sports blogs often confuse stupidity with edginess.  Just because I can call someone a name, doesn’t mean I’m insightful, or tough and edgy.  It just means I’m a jerk.  It’s a high tech place for what idiots used to do on bar stools, in school yards, and on gas station bathroom walls.
 - Bob Costas
Rich93
Class of 93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2015, 10:56:58 am »

... and you don't tip on booze neither.

Strangely enuf, the term "tips", means: "to insure prompt service", and wuz traditionally proffered before the meal, ... to, ... well, insure prompt service.

Bronx Boy, aka, da Meal Man

Cheap people do not tip the bar bill. General rule 20% of the whole bill. Some tip less on expensive wine but the way I look at it if you can afford the wine you can afford the tip. If you have the cash to go out to eat then spend some of it so your servers can do the same on their day off.  

http://www.itipping.com/tip-guide-restaurant.htm
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2015, 10:59:45 am »

Cheap people do not tip the bar bill. General rule 20% of the whole bill. Maybe cut back on an expensive bottle of wine but if you have the cash to get the bottle you have the cash to tip on it.

http://www.itipping.com/tip-guide-restaurant.htm

+1.
Report Spam   Logged
SteveMcGarrett
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2015, 04:55:57 pm »

Thank you, Mr. DamnRam!

I didn't calculate anything, did it in my head and thought it was 20% ........ and I was just a little off.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: