fordhamfans.com
March 30, 2017, 12:40:40 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Can anyone recommend a good and moderately priced restaurant near Lincoln Center

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can anyone recommend a good and moderately priced restaurant near Lincoln Center  (Read 3105 times)
SteveMcGarrett
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2015, 05:02:42 pm »

Please note.........

Not only did I think 20% was good........

It was a convenient amount....... I only had $50 bills in my wallet and I could just leave two $50 bills and not have not wait for change if I wanted to give more. Without doing calculations on my iPhone, my quick instinct told me I left 20%...... and I was right.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2015, 12:32:47 am »

Cheap people do not tip the bar bill. General rule 20% of the whole bill. Some tip less on expensive wine but the way I look at it if you can afford the wine you can afford the tip. If you have the cash to go out to eat then spend some of it so your servers can do the same on their day off.  

http://www.itipping.com/tip-guide-restaurant.htm

I have seen a few receipts recently, those that tell you how much 15%, 18% and 20% would be, that based the calculation on the bill before tax.  I was surprised.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Battering Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2015, 07:48:34 am »

I have seen a few receipts recently, those that tell you how much 15%, 18% and 20% would be, that based the calculation on the bill before tax.  I was surprised.
I see that a lot in taxis but I don't tip on taxes and other gov't fees.  A tip reflects the quality of service for the service(s) rendered not for add-ons from the government.  Also, some states don't have sales taxes so in order to pay a consistent rate, I tip on the common number which is the bill before taxes and fees.
Report Spam   Logged
SteveMcGarrett
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2015, 08:40:42 am »

All of the Applebee's in Manhattan add on an automatic 18% gratuity

The Applebee's at Fordham Plaza does not do that. Whenever I am around Arthue Ave/Rose Hill I go to the bar there and use their WiFi......it was the only place around for WiFi until the Starbucks opened next door about two years ago. I like it there.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2015, 09:50:30 am »

I had dinner the other night at LC Kitchen in Avery Fischer (soon to be renamed after David Geffen) Hall. very good. 50 bucks for two inexpensive entrees and iced teas. food was great.
Report Spam   Logged

#ProudToBeARam
Bronx Boy
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2015, 11:19:46 am »

I only had $50 bills in my wallet, and I could just leave two $50 bills, and not have to wait for change if I wanted to give more. 
You don't pay with yer credit card ?
Report Spam   Logged

Sports blogs often confuse stupidity with edginess.  Just because I can call someone a name, doesnít mean Iím insightful, or tough and edgy.  It just means Iím a jerk.  Itís a high tech place for what idiots used to do on bar stools, in school yards, and on gas station bathroom walls.
 - Bob Costas
Bronx Boy
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2015, 11:22:12 am »

I have seen a few receipts recently that tell you how much 15%, 18% and 20% would be, based on the bill before tax. I was surprised.
If you lived in Da Big Apple, you wouldn't be !
Report Spam   Logged

Sports blogs often confuse stupidity with edginess.  Just because I can call someone a name, doesnít mean Iím insightful, or tough and edgy.  It just means Iím a jerk.  Itís a high tech place for what idiots used to do on bar stools, in school yards, and on gas station bathroom walls.
 - Bob Costas
Bronx Boy
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2015, 11:24:06 am »

All of the Applebee's in Manhattan add an automatic 18% gratuity.
Yeah, ... we had a place in my neighborhood that did that !  They went outta business !
Report Spam   Logged

- Bob Costas
PhillyNY
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2015, 11:59:11 am »

I only had $50 bills in my wallet.

Did I ever represent you?
Report Spam   Logged
SteveMcGarrett
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2015, 08:39:37 am »

You don't pay with yer credit card ?

Generally, I pay with cash if I have the cash on hand. Usually I do pay with my credit card.

Report Spam   Logged
Bronx Boy
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2015, 11:49:59 am »

Generally, I pay with cash, if I have the cash on hand.  Usually, I do pay with my credit card.
I do not understand yer response, Smooth Dog.
Report Spam   Logged

- Bob Costas
SteveMcGarrett
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2015, 01:26:16 pm »

I do not understand yer response, Smooth Dog.

Very simple........

If I am at a restaurant and happen to have enough cash to pay the bill, I will pay in cash. However, that is not the majority of the time. Mostly I do not have enough cash on me so I charge it.

I try not to use credit if I do not have to. A couple of years ago I developed an idiosyncrasy that I never charge more than I can pay...... I am religiously opposed to paying interest on credit cards; however, that was far from the case in my early days.

Anyway, may I add that if I charge, many times I leave the tip in cash because that is better for the server. In some establishments, they dock a small part of the tip to pay for the use of the credit..... or something like that.   Evil
Report Spam   Logged
fordham77
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2015, 05:09:36 pm »

All of the Applebee's in Manhattan add on an automatic 18% gratuity

The Applebee's at Fordham Plaza does not do that. Whenever I am around Arthue Ave/Rose Hill I go to the bar there and use their WiFi......it was the only place around for WiFi until the Starbucks opened next door about two years ago. I like it there.

Applebees...in ManhattanHuh??  5-0, I am so disappointed in you!   Cheesy

The automatic gratuity in midtown is European tourist protection.
Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2015, 10:15:48 pm »

Cheap people do not tip the bar bill. General rule 20% of the whole bill. Some tip less on expensive wine but the way I look at it if you can afford the wine you can afford the tip. If you have the cash to go out to eat then spend some of it so your servers can do the same on their day off.  

http://www.itipping.com/tip-guide-restaurant.htm

During the late 80's I was a waiter at a very busy Times Square restaurant (Tony Roma's).  I worked both weekend days, often doubleshifts at least one of those, to support myself and save up enough money to return to school.  It was really hard money, and that D train back to the Bronx at 2:30am was a bit perilous at times.  To this day I routinely tip at least 20% unless a waiter gives me a good reason not to.  A few bucks is nothing to me now, but it makes a world of difference to a waiter.

Important suggestion:  At my restaurant, we were so insanely busy almost all the time that I could afford to screw with a customer if they were being unreasonable.  There was always at least one schmuck on each of my shifts who failed to understand that at some point it's just not worth it to me to put up with drama when I had many other more appreciative and respectful customers.  I learned that those with the biggest attitudes right from the start were often the hardest to please and usually tipped the worst anyway, so I regarded them as writeoffs.  They always got their food, but it would usually take a while because I prioritized everyone ahead of them.  So, be cool right up front, treat them like a person, and if it's a really high volume kind of place let them know you're a solid tipper for good service.  Seems a bit gauche, but you'll be golden.
Report Spam   Logged
Bronx Boy
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2015, 03:37:28 pm »

So, ... be cool, right up front, treat them like a person, and, if it's a really high volume kind of place, let them know you're a solid tipper for good service.  Seems a bit gauche, but you'll be golden.
Absolutely, DR !

My Dad wuz a chef, and knew many people in da biz, ... and so, I worked my way through school, from da time I wuz fourteen, up through grad school, in restaurants, doin' all sorts of things:  busboy, glass washer, dish washer, fountain, sandwich board, entrees, etc, etc, etc.  Da food trade is a hard row to hoe:  long hours, hot kitchens, a few miserable miscreants at da tables, and, in da kitchens, ... but, as my sainted mother used to say:  if the boy can't make it through school, at least he'll be able to feed himself, which I can, ... and, do.  Nevah could unnerstand how come some folks don't know da foist thing 'bout cookin'.  Hey, ... ya gotta eat !  Frankly, it baffles me to this day, ... but, I digress...

Me 'n' da spouse have our favorite culinary haunts, and, I always tip quite generously.  Da wait staff always serves us quickly, and cheerfully supplies all da little extras that make the meal infinitely more pleasurable.  We look forward to our meals, and da help is always eager to please.  Pays to have a good rep at yer local eatery.   
Report Spam   Logged

- Bob Costas
SteveMcGarrett
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2015, 01:50:38 pm »

and da help is always eager to please.  Pays to have a good rep at yer local eatery.   

I have traveled to various Latin American countries in my day. Of course, tipping there is 10% ....... and wait staff is generally from the lower classes there ........ no waiters or waitresses who are university educated and trying to earn more for grad school, etc.

I have found that if I go to a place two nights in a row and tip the U.S. rate of the former 15% and now 20%, that the next time I go to the place the waiters all swarm me trying to be the one who waits on me. I am sure that other people have experienced the same thing in other third world nations. Generally I find a good place close to the hotel and just go there every night.

I would like to relate a harsh incident...... but then again each country has different tipping habits and idiosyncrasies.

About 15 years ago or more, I was in Mexico City to help out on a project. Afterwards, we all went to a nice restaurant in the Coyoacan neighborhood, which is considered the colonial district and his famous for its restaurants - mostly Mexican (obviously!), but also Spanish, Argentine, Japanese,.

There were 15 of us. 13 of us ordered the same elaborate chicken entree. The two other people ordered different items. When it came time to pay the bill, the woman from the foundation who was in charge of the event, tallied up the bill. She counted out a few times to make sure and saw that they charged us for 14 of the chicken dish rather than 13. The bill did not simply list the number "14" for the number of chicken dishes, but they were listed individually.

She told the young waitress, probably about 21 and from the middle class, that they charged us for an extra meal and therefore that was grounds for her losing her tip. Personally, I thought that was a little harsh, but the Mexicans there seemed to give me the impression that it was the norm in Mexico if the bill was not right to lose the tip. Maybe some restaurants intentionally try to razzle customers and include other charges.

Of course, I do not know if it was an honest mistake or was an intentional act of dishonesty.

The restaurant was not a cheap one by any means, and were the costly entrees for all 15 people. I felt bad that the poor girl lost her tip and would have liked to have slipped her a ten dollar bill (U.S.) but I did not want to make waves with my client. I just let it be.

Needless to say, I have never heard here in the U.S. of an extra charge on a restaurant bill being the basis of the waiter/waitress losing the entire tip.

Tipping customs are definitely idiosyncratic in every different country.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2015, 03:03:37 pm »

I have traveled to various Latin American countries in my day. Of course, tipping there is 10% ....... and wait staff is generally from the lower classes there ........ no waiters or waitresses who are university educated and trying to earn more for grad school, etc.

That is one heck of a generalization!
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
SteveMcGarrett
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2015, 03:19:23 pm »

That is one heck of a generalization!

Seemingly a generalization........ but mostly true. It is rare in Latino countries for educated people to take waiter jobs. Being a waiter or waitress there seems to be reserved for the working classes. In the U.S. and Europe being a waiter is a whole different thing in terms of class and social acceptability.  Just as different as we give 15-20% and they suffice with 10%. Whole different ball game.

Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2015, 03:28:52 pm »

Seemingly a generalization........ but mostly true. It is rare in Latino countries for educated people to take waiter jobs. Being a waiter or waitress there seems to be reserved for the working classes. In the U.S. and Europe being a waiter is a whole different thing in terms of class and social acceptability.  Just as different as we give 15-20% and they suffice with 10%. Whole different ball game.

My cousins in Colombia are saying otherwise.  Last I checked, Colombia is a "Latino" country and they did precisely what you say they don't do, they worked as waiters/waitresses to pay for college and grad school.
Report Spam   Logged

SteveMcGarrett
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2015, 06:10:42 pm »

Absolutely, DR !

My Dad wuz a chef, and knew many people in da biz, ... and so, I worked my way through school, from da time I wuz fourteen, up through grad school, in restaurants, doin' all sorts of things:  busboy, glass washer, dish washer, fountain, sandwich board, entrees, etc, etc, etc.  Da food trade is a hard row to hoe:  long hours, hot kitchens, a few miserable miscreants at da tables, and, in da kitchens, ... but, as my sainted mother used to say:  if the boy can't make it through school, at least he'll be able to feed himself, which I can, ... and, do.  Nevah could unnerstand how come some folks don't know da foist thing 'bout cookin'.  Hey, ... ya gotta eat !  Frankly, it baffles me to this day, ... but, I digress...

Me 'n' da spouse have our favorite culinary haunts, and, I always tip quite generously.  Da wait staff always serves us quickly, and cheerfully supplies all da little extras that make the meal infinitely more pleasurable.  We look forward to our meals, and da help is always eager to please.  Pays to have a good rep at yer local eatery.   

How about this funky dude who went to work as a waiter at Mario's 52 years ago to work weekends and a couple of nights per week just to help save for a down payment for a house.......... and is still working there today. He  has never left! As Don Henley sang in the Eagles' 1977 # 1 hit "Hotel California"........ "You can check out any time you like/But you can never leave"

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bronx/mario-waiter-celebrates-50-years-bronx-eatery-article-1.1370925

He's a great waiter, too.
Report Spam   Logged
Bronx Boy
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2015, 06:38:38 pm »

I have never heard here in the U.S. of an extra charge on a restaurant bill being the basis of the waiter/waitress losing the entire tip.
Had lunch with a friend from out of town several weeks ago near MSG.  We both had large salads.  I ordered toast with my salad. 

When the bill came, I noticed I wuz charged an extra $3.50 for the two slices of toast.  When I questioned the waiter, he could not offer a plausible explanation for the charge.  I queried the manager.  He pulled out a breakfast menu and showed it to me.  Yes indeedy, a side order of toast was, in fact, $3.50 !  I attempted explain to him that it wuz now 2:30 PM, and that breakfast was not being served at that time.  He gave me da dead fish look.

I politely paid the bill, ... but, somehow neglected to tip the waiter, and, later on, memorialized the incident on several restaurant blogs, with the admonition:  Watch out !  Tourist trap ! 

Oh my !
Report Spam   Logged

- Bob Costas
Bronx Boy
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2015, 06:43:01 pm »

My cousins in Colombia are saying otherwise.  Last I checked, Colombia is a "Latino" country, and they did precisely what you say they don't do.  They worked as waiters/waitresses to pay for college and grad school.
Last time I checked, you denied being of Columbian heritage, stating empathically that you were from Miami !

Now, I guess, yer claimin' to be from Maryland !

Well, ... I've been razed (sic) in Da Bronx, 'n' proud of it, Goalie Man !
Report Spam   Logged

- Bob Costas
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2015, 09:29:20 pm »

Last time I checked, you denied being of Columbian heritage, stating empathically that you were from Miami !

Now, I guess, yer claimin' to be from Maryland !

Well, ... I've been razed (sic) in Da Bronx, 'n' proud of it, Goalie Man !

Show me where I said such a thing.
Report Spam   Logged

xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2015, 10:26:45 am »

Gray's Papaya is nearby.
Report Spam   Logged

#ProudToBeARam
ram it 66
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2015, 11:22:55 am »

Rosa Mexicano, a bit pricey but a much better menu than your average Mexican place.
It's right across the street from Lincoln Center.
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2015, 12:50:03 pm »

I've patronized the Atlantic Grill on the East Side and found it very good. I haven't been to the one by LC, but if the quality of food and service is the same, one shouldn't be disappointed.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2015, 04:57:02 pm »

The LCPA Atrium next to Rosa Mexicano has a 1/2 price LCPA ticket booth and a 'Wichcraft sandwich spot. Their sammiches are good, the Tomato soup is great, decent coffee and they often have a coffee Happy Hour in the afternoon. Free Wifi, usually enough chairs and restrooms. Never any 1/2 price tix for the Met, ABT, or the NYPhilharmonic, but I saw tix for the King and I there the other night.

The full schedule for all LCPA is on the video wall there, and usually a free concert is going on.

Good spot to meet up if it raining outside, or too many tourists at the fountain.
Report Spam   Logged

#ProudToBeARam
PhillyNY
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2015, 03:43:48 pm »

Gray's Papaya is nearby.

A legitimate NY place.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: