fordhamfans.com
July 25, 2017, 06:36:39 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

The Ram Mascot

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Ram Mascot  (Read 3978 times)
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2015, 08:50:34 am »

I recently sent a note to the Ask the AD and this is the response I got from Di Bari or Roach (who knows who actually is replying to the questions):

QUESTION
Can we better make use of our beloved Ram mascot?

Can the one in the costume be given a name? Maybe a 'Name The Ram contest', so the Ram actually has an identity? It seems odd that it does not have a name and if so, I am certain the students and fans, especially young fans would appreciate it?

Could there be a live ram lead the football team out on to the field at home/local games?
I have witnessed Cam The Ram at Colorado St. lead the team out to the field and it gets everyone going and think it could be a nice new tradition at Fordham. The live ram could reside at a farm or at The Bronx Zoo. Maybe even create an exhibit about Huh???, The Fordham the Ram?

It just seems to me that a school so rich in history and tradition lacks the connection with our own school mascot. There is great potential in what both the real and the 'not so real' mascot could be doing to entertain the crowds at games. What can be done?

From Dave Roach:

Currently the mascot is unofficially called RAM.  We will have a discussion this summer with our staff to see how we can increase the utilization and exposure of our mascot.  In regards to a live ram there are just to many issues to make having one on a permanent basis.  Go Rams!

Although I have low expectations from Fordham, which that in itself is sad, I still think the reply is weak.  There seems to be no creativity in this athletic department.  Everything is reactive and not proactive, we really need some folks with leadership skills, a plan and the drive to execute on all levels.

I have worked in college and pro athletics and the way things are handled are at times lower than the high school level.  While Roach has a lot to do in cleaning up Frank's mess, it is a bout  time that he start making showing some initiative.  The problem is he challenged the President at Colgate and was shown the door, so with his history and his age, we will never get to see any dynamic plans initiated on Rose Hill.  That is very sad considering this is athletics and it is a competition.  Playing not to finish in last place is not a goal that is to be commended.  We are out of reverse and now in first gear, can we please shift to second gear?

Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 10:21:32 am »

Having been a Fordham when we had a live Ram, I am familiar with the problems that involves. However, "renting" a Ram is a viable alternative, IMO. With all  the issues Fordham already has, I don't think this should be a high priority for the AD. I would like to see more out reach to the Alumni on donating funds to improve the Athletic Facilities. Unfortunately, the Administration would probably be opposed to that. It doesn't mean it can't happen, just that it will have to be more external than internal.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 10:46:48 am »

I like the Mascot in Costume, yes he should have a name. Live ram is 1950s kind of boring.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
PhillyNY
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 10:50:02 am »

Currently the mascot is unofficially called RAM. 

Now that's clever.
Report Spam   Logged
kenman
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 12:20:09 pm »

I like the Mascot in Costume, yes he should have a name. Live ram is 1950s kind of boring.

I don't know about that. I found the fifties kind of exciting.
Report Spam   Logged
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 01:20:38 pm »

Now that's clever.

I thought the same thing and was surprised that was even stated in the reply.
I can't believe the mascot does not have a name, pathetic.
Call me spoiled from witnessing how a great mascot entertains a crowd (Philly Phanatic, VT Hokie Bird), but I also think the mascot version needs some mascot training, as it is very lame.  Probably one of Uncle Julio's kids is in the costume.

Although I do think it would be neat to have a live ram housed on campus I am totally fine in the rent-a-ram approach and that is what I was suggesting.  Will having a rental ram add to the excitement, yes, will it break the bank, no.  It has been done before and everyone on campus wants their picture taken with the ram. 

If done right, this is what you get, see the rotating pix in the link below
http://www.colostate.edu/features/students-ramhandlers.aspx

I have witnessed this live, the whole place goes crazy, same thing when Ralphie the Bison charges out at Colorado.
Report Spam   Logged
Ramon
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 01:34:46 pm »

Officially, the mascot's name is Ramses. The name refers to the Pharaohs which the sun god Ra gave birth to
Report Spam   Logged

“You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.”
― Daniel Patrick Moynihan
shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 01:42:00 pm »

The video reminds me of a BB game in 1964 or 65 where Ramses was led onto the court in front of a packed gym before a big game. The clean up crew had to follow with broom and shovel so the teams could use the court.
Report Spam   Logged
RickFC77
Junior

Where was Lembo when I needed him?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 01:48:24 pm »

I don't know why you think a live ram is a 50s thing?  I remember going to the father-son basketball game, in a jacket and tie and getting my picture next to the ram taken by a poloroid camera, just not getting the 50s reference? Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

“Hail men of Fordham hail."
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 02:22:37 pm »

I know they have had a live ram on campus for homecoming or fmily weekend not too long ago and there wee pix everywhere of people wanting their pix taken with the ram.

If they do take my advice, they should have the live ram as Ramses (for tradition)

as for the on in the costume, give it a name and let the students chose.  Offer up a nice prize and the honor of being the person that got their name chosen and that would be pretty cool.  It is not that hard.
Report Spam   Logged
ram20220
Sophomore

Class of '08

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 02:31:24 pm »

Officially, the mascot's name is Ramses. The name refers to the Pharaohs which the sun god Ra gave birth to

Thank you for this. I thought this was the case but all these 'no name' posts had me questioning it.
Report Spam   Logged
dutch
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 03:22:20 pm »

Currently the mascot is unofficially called RAM. 

[/quote]

The add wizards earned their paycheck on this one. 
Report Spam   Logged
El Jefe
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 07:05:09 pm »

According to Wikipedia, the live and costumed mascot is called Buster Rameses XXIX.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_mascots_in_the_United_States

I agree a better name can be found.  Ramalamadingdong may be too lengthy, and Vic (for Victory) too seldom used.  There are plenty of alumni names to choose from, such as Frankie (for the Fordham Flash); Vincent or Vinny (for Scully and Lombardi, thereby covering two sports); Billy or Mario (for Walsh or Gabelli in honor of their donations); and Andy (for Cuomo, provided the State uses its powers of eminent domain to assemble land for an arena).  If you prefer names by location, you can opt for Arthur (as in Avenue), Lincoln (Center) or Rosie (Hill).  I personally like Rosie, but it might create gender confusion.  The bottom line is that we can do better than "The RAM". 
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 09:54:33 am »

Caitlyn ?
Report Spam   Logged
tuckertomm
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2015, 10:18:43 am »

Talk about confusion how does Grank sound?
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2015, 10:30:51 am »

Huey.

Covers both genders.
Report Spam   Logged
Ram 91
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2015, 11:34:15 am »

Caitlyn ?

Only if it's a bellwether.
Report Spam   Logged
RickFC77
Junior

Where was Lembo when I needed him?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2015, 12:54:33 pm »

Ewegene.
Report Spam   Logged

“Hail men of Fordham hail."
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2015, 02:04:39 pm »

Vinny works for me.

I see no advantage in a transgendered sports mascot!   Since the beast walks upright we can have him in shorts to keep his masculinity covered.
Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2015, 09:13:52 am »

The live ram could reside at...The Bronx Zoo.

It's a creative idea and I applaud that.  However, from what I understand about the way modern zoos are run, I can't see why the Zoo would want to get into such an arrangement.  Disease prevention is a major concern, especially when you're dealing with endangered exotic animals already stressed in non-native habitats.

I can understand Roach's stance about the issues of hosting a live ram, even a rented one.  Doesn't mean they can't be solved and that it's a bad idea, but for now I would prefer they put their game day focus on things like building up the band and concessions before spending any time, energy, or money on a rented ram.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2015, 01:30:59 pm »

Vinny works for me.

I see no advantage in a transgendered sports mascot!   Since the beast walks upright we can have him in shorts to keep his masculinity covered.

You could have both male and female mascots. Ramsey and Rose Hill? Like Mickey and Minnie, their relationship is complicated.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
Chaka001
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2015, 01:59:14 pm »

I like Ramsey, it was actually one of the few names in my list of suggestions.
If a female version were to be added Rosie would be a nice match for Ramsey, but right now I would be happy with just the one.

hoping the rumor is true and we actually get a new assoc/asst ad for marketing, it is desperately needed.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 02:26:27 pm »

You could have both male and female mascots. Ramsey and Rose Hill? Like Mickey and Minnie, their relationship is complicated.

At the Texas A&M games they had a female sheep on the sideline but it was too much off a distraction to many players and male fans.
As we say...."Aggieland, where men are men; and sheep are scared!"
Report Spam   Logged
PhillyNY
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2015, 04:04:21 pm »

As an old timer, I still like Ramses.

It reminds us of antiquity. Just like the gym does.
Report Spam   Logged
Sufferam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2015, 09:18:12 pm »

How about Ram Champion, in honor of ABC weatherman and EKU alum Sam Champion
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2015, 06:30:45 am »

It seems like we're talking about two different names here: one for a live ram and another for the costumed mascot. The live ram always has to be Ramses, with the appropriate Roman numeral designation. The costumed mascot, well that is open, and I've seen some good suggestions (although sorry "Sam champion" isn't one of them). No problem alternating gender depending on the student in the costume.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2015, 06:49:41 am »

It seems like we're talking about two different names here: one for a live ram and another for the costumed mascot. The live ram always has to be Ramses, with the appropriate Roman numeral designation. The costumed mascot, well that is open, and I've seen some good suggestions (although sorry "Sam champion" isn't one of them). No problem alternating gender depending on the student in the costume.

A Ram is masculine gender... Always.  You can look that up!   
Report Spam   Logged
Sufferam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2015, 08:26:47 am »

What if our Ram is transgender? Maybe something gender non-specific like Sam? If we're looking for something masculine, I withdraw my Ram Champion suggestion. 
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2015, 09:35:27 am »

In other posts, folks mentioned getting children involved. Mascots are a great tool for child's involvement. There is nothing wrong having multiple students sharing responsibilities.

Remember the bad old days when an Alumnus gave money for a new costume? That costume was getting ratty, duct tape holding it together.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
mojofunk
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2015, 01:59:55 pm »

Double mascot example: Joe and Jo(sephine), UCLA Bruins.

How 'bout "Ram Bo"
Report Spam   Logged
Bronx Boy
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2015, 02:50:04 pm »

Mascots are a great tool for child's involvement. There is nothing wrong having multiple students sharing responsibilities.
The costumed ram mascot is a scholarship position.  No shared responsibilities there.

If yer talkin' 'bout shared responsibilities for a real live ram, we've been there, .. done that, ... and, many of those rams met with less than an honorable demise.  Fordham is not an A&M school in farm country.  It is an urban university in New York City.  Many of our kids would have a difficult time caring for a dog or a cat, let alone a large ungulate.  No thanx, sports fans !
Report Spam   Logged

Sports blogs often confuse stupidity with edginess.  Just because I can call someone a name, doesn’t mean I’m insightful, or tough and edgy.  It just means I’m a jerk.  It’s a high tech place for what idiots used to do on bar stools, in school yards, and on gas station bathroom walls.
 - Bob Costas
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2015, 04:39:01 pm »

The costumed ram mascot is a scholarship position.  No shared responsibilities there.

If yer talkin' 'bout shared responsibilities for a real live ram, we've been there, .. done that, ... and, many of those rams met with less than an honorable demise.  Fordham is not an A&M school in farm country.  It is an urban university in New York City.  Many of our kids would have a difficult time caring for a dog or a cat, let alone a large ungulate.  No thanx, sports fans !

Every live Ram has ended up being butchered at Vincent's Meat Market on Arthur Ave.

And we get nutin' for the mutton.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2015, 11:48:37 pm »

Lincoln and Rosie, in honor of our two main campuses.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2015, 03:32:08 am »

A Ram is masculine gender... Always.  You can look that up!   
Should have said "gender specific names." Don't need to be technical. We are talking about a mascot costume after all. It's just for the kids.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2015, 09:13:25 am »

Should have said "gender specific names." Don't need to be technical. We are talking about a mascot costume after all. It's just for the kids.

I agree.  We certainly don't want to have our Ram to be confused about his gender.  There's enough of that going around!
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2015, 10:59:16 am »

Lincoln and Rosie, in honor of our two main campuses.

And a little brother named Armonk for some outpost none of us have ever seen.
Report Spam   Logged
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2015, 03:34:14 pm »

The St. Joe's Eagle was voted the best mascot in the country - he flaps his wings the entire game.  Now as a Marketer we should definitely hold a contest open to the students with the winner getting tickets to a Knicks games or some other exciting prize.  Tickets to a Giants game would work.

Name the Ram Mascot. 1st Prize - Giants versus Eagles 2nd Prize -Knicks versus Nets Third Prize- Rangers versus Nets
Report Spam   Logged
77SunsetStrp
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2015, 09:44:00 am »

Caitlyn ?

Its very prescient, 85.   Good idea!   Evil

But I was going to suggest Grank as a new name.     Evil
Report Spam   Logged
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2015, 04:13:08 pm »

Can some one post how to share a picture on here?  Perhaps send me a PM? Thanks.
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2015, 09:20:49 pm »

Ram-a-lam-ding dong

Ram-a-lam-a-without-a-ding dong
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2016, 09:14:17 pm »

And a little brother named Armonk for some outpost none of us have ever seen.

Even littler Brother, Harrison.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2016, 02:24:11 pm »

It was fun to see the mascot dance to Irish step music yesterday. He is a very engaging mascot.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
PhillyNY
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2016, 06:35:21 pm »

But he can dance in the flamenco tradition?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: