fordhamfans.com
May 24, 2017, 02:12:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Fordham Finishes 2nd in A-10 in Learfield Sports Director's Cup

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fordham Finishes 2nd in A-10 in Learfield Sports Director's Cup  (Read 2275 times)
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« on: June 18, 2015, 08:06:34 pm »

Fordham has finished 2nd among Atlantic 10 schools in this year's Learfield Sports Director's Cup. Things are looking up, folks. In a big way.

http://fordhamsports.com/news/2015/6/18/GEN_0618152019.aspx
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

ZonaRam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 08:59:08 pm »

The second paragraph of the release mixes points and rank and makes no sense.  Does anyone read these before they are released?
Report Spam   Logged
Ramon
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 09:13:44 pm »

Fordham has finished 2nd among Atlantic 10 schools in this year's Learfield Sports Director's Cup. Things are looking up, folks. In a big way.

How so,we were second last year too.
Report Spam   Logged

“You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.”
― Daniel Patrick Moynihan
charlietags
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 09:17:16 pm »

The second paragraph of the release mixes points and rank and makes no sense.  Does anyone read these before they are released?
Hey Zona how are you?  I didn't get that either.  we have 122points but we are ahead of folks with more points than us? Huh?
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 09:54:50 pm »

How so,we were second last year too.

To finish second two years in a row is not a positive? Explain what you mean.
Report Spam   Logged
Ramon
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 10:04:01 pm »

"Things are looking up folks in a big way."

Explain what you mean.
Report Spam   Logged

rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 10:06:23 pm »

"Things are looking up folks in a big way."

Explain what you mean.

Second year in a row for this. Are things looking down?
Report Spam   Logged
Ramon
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 11:37:48 am »

Second year in a row for this. Are things looking down?

Improvement yes, but not earth-shattering. This is not a dig at the Athletic Department which is doing a good job. I just don't understand your hyperbole about things looking up "in a big way".
We are in the top tercile (first third) of programs  (122 out of 351) which is nice and it's good that we got our highest ranking. But if you look at the overall rankings we finished lower than other non-power conference programs like:

Villanova #66
Columbia #73
Albany #78
Dayton #86
Iona #99
St John's #111
Fordham #122

Feel free to repost when we are 1st in the A10 or at least higher than Iona
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 12:04:48 pm by Ramon » Report Spam   Logged

rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 12:14:13 pm »

Improvement yes, but not earth-shattering. This is not a dig at the Athletic Department which is doing a good job. I just don't understand your hyperbole about things looking up "in a big way".
We are in the top tercile (first third) of programs  (122 out of 351) which is nice and it's good that we got our highest ranking. But if you look at the overall rankings we finished lower than other non-power conference programs like:

Villanova #66
Columbia #73
Albany #78
Dayton #86
Iona #99
St John's #111
Fordham #122

Feel free to repost when we are 1st in the A10 or at least higher than Iona

Actually, I'll repost now, thank you.

This position is a substantial improvement compared to a few years ago and the program is moving in the right direction. Now find another dark cloud in that fact.
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 01:29:34 pm »

What's this measuring exactly?  (Sorry, I don't have a chance to do the research right now.)  And in regard to the A-10 standings, I assume that the football team doesn't count towards those, right?  So if we're doing well in this, it is because of WBB, Softball, Swimming, Baseball etc., correct?
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 01:38:10 pm »

What's this measuring exactly?  (Sorry, I don't have a chance to do the research right now.)  And in regard to the A-10 standings, I assume that the football team doesn't count towards those, right?  So if we're doing well in this, it is because of WBB, Softball, Swimming, Baseball etc., correct?

Correct. From the Learfield website:

About
The crowning achievement in college athletics.

What
A program that honors institutions maintaining a broad-based program, achieving success in many sports, both men’s and women’s. Began in 1993-94 for Division I by NACDA and USA Today, it was expanded in 1995-96 to include Division II, III and the NAIA.

How
Each institution is awarded points in a pre-determined number of sports for men and women.

Who Wins
The overall champion is the institution that records the highest number of points in their division’s Directors’ Cup standings.

Award
The winner receives a crystal trophy.
Sports Included
Division I — 20, ten men’s and ten women’s
Division II — 14, seven men’s and seven women’s
Division III — 18, nine men’s and nine women’s
NAIA –12, six men’s and six women’s
Report Spam   Logged
T1L
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 02:16:17 pm »

Don't we benefit by sponsoring more sports than the average A10 program? If that's the case, you need to take these results with a huge grain of salt. A truer picture of how we're doing versus our peers would be using an average, instead of simply who can record the highest number of points. But despite the methodology being flawed, it's not the worst thing to be listed as 2nd best when we're really mid-pack than the other way, because it will trick the casual fan or someone who doesn't understand how this ranking is calculated.
Report Spam   Logged
PhillyNY
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 03:55:02 pm »

Another marketing ploy disguised as an honor. Ho hum.
Report Spam   Logged
Ramon
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 05:17:23 pm »

Correct. From the Learfield website:

About
The crowning achievement in college athletics.

What
A program that honors institutions maintaining a broad-based program, achieving success in many sports, both men’s and women’s. Began in 1993-94 for Division I by NACDA and USA Today, it was expanded in 1995-96 to include Division II, III and the NAIA.

How
Each institution is awarded points in a pre-determined number of sports for men and women.

Who Wins
The overall champion is the institution that records the highest number of points in their division’s Directors’ Cup standings.

Award
The winner receives a crystal trophy.
Sports Included
Division I — 20, ten men’s and ten women’s
Division II — 14, seven men’s and seven women’s
Division III — 18, nine men’s and nine women’s
NAIA –12, six men’s and six women’s

It's not an A10 thing. It includes football.

From the Fordham press release:

"The Rams' scoring was bolstered by three conference championships, men's soccer and softball in the Atlantic 10 and football in the Patriot League."
Report Spam   Logged

Senior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2015, 05:45:31 pm »

OK, so that makes a little more sense. It has nothing to do with the A-10 per se.
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2015, 08:15:39 pm »

OK, so that makes a little more sense. It has nothing to do with the A-10 per se.

What relates to the A-10 is we are second in our league in these standings. That is significant in that it helps us with recruiting.  Downplaying it doesn't make sense.

Yes, we have a very good FCS football program. That positions us as a better overall program than other A-10 schools. Three A-10 Championships and a Patriot League Football title are impressive and set us apart.

Please stop the negativity.
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2015, 10:33:09 pm »

What relates to the A-10 is we are second in our league in these standings. That is significant in that it helps us with recruiting.  Downplaying it doesn't make sense.

Yes, we have a very good FCS football program. That positions us as a better overall program than other A-10 schools. Three A-10 Championships and a Patriot League Football title are impressive and set us apart.

Please stop the negativity.

No negativity. It's just not A10 specific.
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2015, 10:53:17 pm »

No negativity. It's just not A10 specific.

Incorrect.
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2015, 09:42:20 am »

Incorrect.

How so?
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2015, 12:12:33 pm »

How so?

The article I linked is about Fordham being ranked 2nd in the A-10 in the final Learfield Sports Director's Cup ranking. And nine of the ten team records that resulted in that ranking compete in the A-10.

Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2015, 01:22:08 pm »

It wasn't too long ago that we were one of the worst programs in the country per an SI survey so this is a positive.

Helps recruiting...not really. 
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2015, 04:32:34 pm »

The article I linked is about Fordham being ranked 2nd in the A-10 in the final Learfield Sports Director's Cup ranking. And nine of the ten team records that resulted in that ranking compete in the A-10.

Right, but the football championship is from the PL, so it's kinda a mixed bag. It's not quite valid to make it an indicator of standing relative to the teams in the A10 when one of the things that boosted the score didn't happen in the A10.  Don't get me wrong, it's nice to do well in this ranking but I think the original article gives the wrong impression.  The ranking is about all D1 schools not about the A10 conference. It would be more accurate to say that Fordham ranked 122 and among A10 schools only only Dayton ranked higher at 86.  If it was an A10 ranking you should back out the PL football championship, and then who know what Fordham's score would be . . .

It's always nice to be making improvements, so bravo!  However, I don't agree with your contention that it would help with recruiting.  I'm pretty sure this wouldn't show up on many recruits radar as being important.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 10:31:25 pm by 71 » Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2015, 06:55:06 pm »

Kind of like when Frank won the Lawn Boy AD of the year.  Nice but meaningless.
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2015, 10:33:02 pm »

It's always nice to be making improvements, so bravo!  However, I don't agree with your contention that it would help with recruiting.  I'm pretty sure this wouldn't show up on many recruits radar as being important.

Disagree. This is something that our coaches can and will use to help recruiting. I suggest you ask them about it.
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2015, 10:10:57 am »

Disagree. This is something that our coaches can and will use to help recruiting. I suggest you ask them about it.

Haha!  I'm not one of those who goes around talking to coaches . . .
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2015, 10:27:32 am »

Which coaches would be doing that?  If you are the coach of one of the teams that contributed to the high ranking then you likely already have talked about how your team won a championship.  If you are one of the coaches of a team that did not contribute, then you are just pointing out that your team was not a contributor.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2015, 12:49:44 pm »

Which coaches would be doing that?  If you are the coach of one of the teams that contributed to the high ranking then you likely already have talked about how your team won a championship.  If you are one of the coaches of a team that did not contribute, then you are just pointing out that your team was not a contributor.

It will be mentioned as part of their recruiting pitch. And it's worth mentioning, iMO.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2015, 02:05:31 pm »

Haha!  I'm not one of those who goes around talking to coaches . . .

I'm going to be on campus tomorrow and if the football coaches are around, I'll ask them if this is something that is part of their recruiting pitch. 
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2015, 06:16:09 pm »

I'm going to be on campus tomorrow and if the football coaches are around, I'll ask them if this is something that is part of their recruiting pitch. 

No need. I already texted several of our coaches and asked. They all said it's included in their recruiting messages.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2015, 07:01:05 pm »

No need. I already texted several of our coaches and asked. They all said it's included in their recruiting messages.

LOL!!!!!!   rambacker is the ULTIMATE man of action.   Case Closed!

Let's shut down the "Great Learfield War"

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: