fordhamfans.com
May 24, 2017, 02:11:40 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Holy Cross video on athletics....they are serious about facilities. Are we?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holy Cross video on athletics....they are serious about facilities. Are we?  (Read 2287 times)
Free the F 4
Freshman

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2015, 01:54:03 pm »

Look and listen about our fellow Jesuit college.  We need to get in front of this. 

http://www.goholycross.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=4246401
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 02:01:45 pm »

That is the weakest fund raising video I have ever seen.  Looks like Frank put it together. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 02:01:51 pm »

Look and listen about our fellow Jesuit college.  We need to get in front of this. 

http://www.goholycross.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=4246401

Good for them.  Proves that we would eventually be left behind if we joined the PL in all sports and that conference is not our issue, but rather out commitment to athletics.

As an aside, as I watched the video I was surprised by the lack of mention of Lockbaum as they mentioned their past greats only to see at the end that the video is narrated by none other than Gordie Lockbaum himself.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 02:07:42 pm »

Rhetorical question.
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 02:19:53 pm »

Good for them.  Proves that we would eventually be left behind if we joined the PL in all sports and that conference is not our issue, but rather out commitment to athletics.

As an aside, as I watched the video I was surprised by the lack of mention of Lockbaum as they mentioned their past greats only to see at the end that the video is narrated by none other than Gordie Lockbaum himself.

Gordie did a good job as narrator, a man of many talents
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 09:21:21 pm »

That is a very weak fundraising video. They could have done much better.

But what is significant is the intent. Holy Cross has a plan to build new athletic facilities.

Fordham needs to move in this direction sooner than later.
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 10:33:07 pm »

That is a very weak fundraising video. They could have done much better.

But what is significant is the intent. Holy Cross has a plan to build new athletic facilities.

Fordham needs to move in this direction sooner than later.

In the direction of the weak fund raising video, or the intent?
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 10:50:12 pm »

In the direction of the weak fund raising video, or the intent?

I think my statement is clear. We need to move in the direction of fundraising for new athletic facilities.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 12:24:09 am »

Joe is asking for decent offices and HC is showing an indoor practice facility for their football future.....   that gives me heartburn.

The problem is some of us are taking shots at the video quality while most Fordham sports fans know that this is the competition passing us by.

Here's the really worrisome thing though....while a few posters are merely throwing a few pepples at the video quality.   Back at the big office at Rose Hill McShane watched it once and boldly proclaimed  "Holy Cross failed to mention social justice once ...how sad!" and a few lackeys said "Yes Father....you're right again Father"

For the literal types on the board I didn't actually hear him say that.  I'm only projecting my guesses upon him; and hiss commendable sense of responsibility to the poor.   An also his overwhelming blind spot too the truth that 'to do good you need to do well' ... and great Universities do well often through fostering top level athletics.

So Gordie....remake the video, mention diversity and social justice because it might help us get McShane to stop giggling at Holy Cross and gain some real world perspective.

Report Spam   Logged
RealDeal
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 06:18:17 am »

Just an awful video, regardless of intent, as others have said.  As it relates to Fordham; we are coming off the most successful fund raising campaign in history (both in dollars and percent participation).   Unlikely another one on that scale for a while.  The strategy now is more targeted to specific donors and stakeholders (by issue and needs).  Very pro-forma, but a methodology that most schools utilize.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 07:09:05 am »

The video is fine for their purposes.  If you're ctiticizing the video, you're missing the point.  The message is that HC is now making athletics an institutional priority and is going to raise the funds they need to accomplish that.  The people who it is targeted for will get that.
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 08:14:28 am »

Just an awful video, regardless of intent, as others have said.  As it relates to Fordham; we are coming off the most successful fund raising campaign in history (both in dollars and percent participation).   Unlikely another one on that scale for a while.  The strategy now is more targeted to specific donors and stakeholders (by issue and needs).  Very pro-forma, but a methodology that most schools utilize.

+1.
Report Spam   Logged
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 08:20:10 am »

Good for Holy Cross-and who cares. Has no bearing on Fordham at all...how is this even a Fordham topic?
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 09:16:48 am »

Good for Holy Cross-and who cares. Has no bearing on Fordham at all...how is this even a Fordham topic?

Fair questions....there is this major sport called football and we are conference rivals.  We often compete with HC for talent....player, coaches even.   Facilities matter in that competition for talent.

IMHO this capital campaign for athletic facilities is more material than  .... let's just say a couple of Graduate Assistants hired in the basketball program to organize training video or give tours to the big basketball donors.   
Report Spam   Logged
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2015, 09:24:40 am »

The video is fine for their purposes.  If you're ctiticizing the video, you're missing the point.  The message is that HC is now making athletics an institutional priority and is going to raise the funds they need to accomplish that.  The people who it is targeted for will get that.

If their purpose is to get support for this project it serves no purpose. That video says to me HC wants people to think its a priority when in reality they are. paying lip service. Very Frank like presentation. It will be interesting to see what happens. 
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
RealDeal
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 10:10:44 am »

Have to agree with those who criticize the video.  May not make a lot of difference internally, but it is in the public domain, so it is a reflection on HC.  Regardless of what you think of the university's priorities, Fr. McShane insisted that message had a polished finish.  Combined with his gift for connecting with people, the campaign was a tremendous success.  Packaging makes a difference.
Report Spam   Logged
Free the F 4
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 10:24:20 am »

The quality of the HC presentation cam be debated. What cannot is the fact that they have already secured a 25M+ single donor and have others in the crosshairs.  They will get this done will we dither.  I know the University has other capital priorities but a strong case has to be made for a targeted athletic facilities campaign.  Darryl Brown BOT are you listening?
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 10:27:42 am »

Have to agree with those who criticize the video.  May not make a lot of difference internally, but it is in the public domain, so it is a reflection on HC.  Regardless of what you think of the university's priorities, Fr. McShane insisted that message had a polished finish.  Combined with his gift for connecting with people, the campaign was a tremendous success.  Packaging makes a difference.

+1000.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2015, 10:31:07 am »

I agree that the video left a bit to be desired.  They could have done better and perhaps their campaign would do better if the message was delivered better.  Packaging certainly matters, but as far as I am concerned, what you are packaging matters more.  Or at least that is what I would care about more.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
Rich93
Class of 93
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2015, 10:33:48 am »

I agree that the video left a bit to be desired.  They could have done better and perhaps their campaign would do better if the message was delivered better.  Packaging certainly matters, but as far as I am concerned, what you are packaging matters more.  Or at least that is what I would care about more.

For me the video is too vague regarding what they are doing.
Report Spam   Logged

WINNING MATTERS
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2015, 10:34:34 am »

Fair enough, but at least they are in the ballpark of something I would truly care about.
Report Spam   Logged

RealDeal
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2015, 10:37:47 am »

Very true, but athletic facilities never made it to the final fund raising objectives.  I am not happy with that, but it doesn't take away from the fact that the President of the University crafted a message that resonated with donors.  Not an easy task.  Just hope it leads to a rebound in the USNWR rankings.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2015, 11:04:27 am »

So let's compare that little HC video to one of our videos announcing or highlighting  our major athletic capital projects....can anyone supply one for us to make that comparison?

.....?....Huh?

Buehler?   ... Buehler?
Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2015, 11:05:34 am »

+1.  This is a particularly sad but accurate observation.  When even the PL and the MAAC eventually pass us by on facilities on all fronts, it makes you wonder why Fordham would even bother to stay in Division I.  It's one thing to be at a disadvantage to top programs, but another to be at a disadvantage to practically every mediocre program out there.

+1 on the other posts about the substance and sigificance of this mattering more than the style.

Report Spam   Logged
RealDeal
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2015, 11:18:34 am »

+1.  This is a particularly sad but accurate observation.  When even the PL and the MAAC eventually pass us by on facilities on all fronts, it makes you wonder why Fordham would even bother to stay in Division I.  It's one thing to be at a disadvantage to top programs, but another to be at a disadvantage to practically every mediocre program out there.

+1 on the other posts about the substance and sigificance of this mattering more than the style.

The fact is right now major athletic fundraising is not a priority.  Not saying it is a good thing, but given the disrepair the University was in from the 70s and 80s, the last President, and the current one, had to focus on getting other things done.

Objectively, they have been successful in lifting the profile of Fordham, and the work is not done, by far.  Fr. McShane to his credit was willing to take the heat from some to keep the immediate needs in focus.

As some have said the next President will be faced with serious athletic facility decisions.  It could go the NYU path, or the HC way, who knows.  But if it is the former you will be wishing for McShane's return.
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2015, 11:20:00 am »

Yes it is but maybe it has to do with where they are in the fundraising, asking for as much help as they can get and then deciding on the projects based on the response.  Maybe or maybe not.

I wish we were at the point where we could complain about our campaign video being substandard
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2015, 11:27:11 am »

The fact is right now major athletic fundraising is not a priority.  Not saying it is a good thing, but given the disrepair the University was in from the 70s and 80s, the last President, and the current one, had to focus on getting other things done.

Objectively, they have been successful in lifting the profile of Fordham, and the work is not done, by far.  Fr. McShane to his credit was willing to take the heat from some to keep the immediate needs in focus.

As some have said the next President will be faced with serious athletic facility decisions.  It could go the NYU path, or the HC way, who knows.  But if it is the former you will be wishing for McShane's return.

Well said Father McShane; we are happy to have you as a poster!

......seriously, what you say is true but I don't think we are seeing a choice between the NYU way or the HC way.   We are seeing a strategy that says we are in D1 athletics but we are not seeing enough of the blocking and tackling needed to keep up with our peer groups in the PL and the A10 in D1.
Report Spam   Logged
DamnRam
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2015, 11:32:23 am »

......seriously, what you say is true but I don't think we are seeing a choice between the NYU way or the HC way.   We are seeing a strategy that says we are in D1 athletics but we are not seeing enough of the blocking and tackling needed to keep up with our peer groups in the PL and the A10 in D1.

To put it another way, we simply have no strategy other than see what the new coach can do with what we have, no point talking about anything else until we max out on that.  That is the strategy.
Report Spam   Logged
RealDeal
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2015, 11:32:44 am »

I agree 100%, we are not getting the support for the respective leagues we are in.  Just think it is a matter of dollars.  All I am saying is that the next administration will need to make some decisions, I vote for a true D1 footprint.

But after I leave office, I won't have a say. Wink
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2015, 11:35:37 am »

The NYU path or the HC way?  Sign me up for neither.  How about something more like the Georgetown, BC, Villanova or Notre Dame way?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: