fordhamfans.com
March 30, 2017, 12:39:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

You get your kicks on Route 66.....to Adam 12. Rest in Peace, Martin.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You get your kicks on Route 66.....to Adam 12. Rest in Peace, Martin.  (Read 1218 times)
77SunsetStrp
Junior

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2015, 07:02:09 pm »

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/08/arts/television/martin-milner-dies-at-83-actor-made-his-name-on-route-66.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

For those of us old enough to remember the innocence and bravado of those halcyon days.....and the shows that depicted that life.     

Many memories watching this with my parents.....

and later Adam 12. 

One of the good guys.   

And yes that '58 Vette was awesome.

Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

kenman
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 07:55:45 pm »

Good post, B2. Sure I remember him and Route 66. Not so much Adam=12. He had a bit part in "Mr. Roberts" as the SP guy who brought the drunken sailors back to Henry Fonda. 
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 08:53:06 pm »

Lilly Munster died too.
Report Spam   Logged

#ProudToBeARam
RickFC77
Junior

Where was Lembo when I needed him?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 09:26:09 pm »

Only saw Route 66 years afterwards in reruns and liked it. Weird that yesterday I watched the Globetrekker traveling on Route 66 and later the Great Food Truck Race which is taking place n Route 66 this season.
Report Spam   Logged

“Hail men of Fordham hail."
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 09:45:20 pm »

Just curious, how is this about Food & Drink?
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
JCMB
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 09:48:06 pm »

Ace, are you serious?    Grin
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 10:06:04 pm »

Ace, are you serious?    Grin

Seems to me it is about an actor.  If I am mistaken, I would like some background rather than having to read an article I am not overly interested in.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
JCMB
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 12:15:59 am »

Seems to me it is about an actor.  If I am mistaken, I would like some background rather than having to read an article I am not overly interested in.

I don't think that the message had anything to do with the forum topic (which is par - hence my comment).  But who knows - maybe in some convoluted way I am wrong.
Report Spam   Logged
RealDeal
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 07:01:27 am »

He had a bit part in "Mr. Roberts" as the SP guy who brought the drunken sailors back to Henry Fonda. 

Yes, the SP from Alabama, the dialogue as I recall,  "Well, what we call in Alabama-- We call it the same thing in Nebraska."  If you served in the Navy you have to love the liberty scene.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 08:03:43 am by RealDeal » Report Spam   Logged
DaggerJohn
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 08:29:16 am »

I would like some background rather than having to read an article I am not overly interested in.
Route 66 was a TV series (October 7, 1960 - March 20, 1964) that ran for 116 episodes on CBS, ... long before your TV days.
Report Spam   Logged
DaggerJohn
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 08:30:03 am »

Route 66 was a TV series (October 7, 1960 - March 20, 1964) that ran for 116 episodes on CBS.

Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 08:56:53 am »

Odd coincidence....the songwriter of "Get Your Kicks on Route 66" was Bobby Troupe.  He was a musician and actor who eventually played a doctor in the NBC series "Emergency"

"Emergency" was produced by Jack Webb, the producer of "Adam-12."  The two casts of crossed over into each others shows so the actor from "Route 66" was in the same episodes as the song writer of Route 66.
Report Spam   Logged
77SunsetStrp
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 09:44:32 am »

if you understood the show you would know.....lol.   

But frankly, no real other place to put it without bringing out the thought police, so I put it here....for congenial conversation.       Since its not Sports and its just a way for Fordham faithful to remember the days of wine and roses.....especially before Vietnam and before the JFK assassination.     

Report Spam   Logged
tuckertomm
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 10:18:23 am »

Food & Drink- I'd head to the candy store get a bottle of Mission Cream Soda 15 cents, pretzel rods 2 cents, 3 for a nickel- I was all set to hang with Buzz and Todd they were boss. BTW you got 3 cents back when you returned the bottle. Go Rams!
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 10:31:07 am »

In case it helps Ace....I've had a few good meals and drinks on Route 66
Report Spam   Logged
77SunsetStrp
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 10:58:28 am »

In case it helps Ace....I've had a few good meals and drinks on Route 66

There is a fabulous History Channel Documentary on Modern Marvels, the construction and creation of Route 66, which depicts the entire project, its many iconic foodstops, towns, and Americana.

For history buffs, its a must.....especially American History buffs.     Powerful stuff there.   

Its a lengthy program but fabulous.   

Btw, the theme song from the television show was different than the song about Route 66 itself, which I imagine was a copyright infringement matter and decided not to play it.     

Another iconic song......

« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 11:20:13 am by 77SunsetStrp » Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 12:33:25 pm »

He was in a bunch of movies, never as the star, but acted with some of the legends of the screen . . . Life with Father, Sands of Iwo Jima, Dial M for Murder, Mister Roberts, The Long Gray Line, Gunfight at the OK Corral and others which, if not great, were watched repeatedly on Million Dollar Movie.

Quite a career.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2015, 12:41:09 pm »

if you understood the show you would know.....lol.  

But frankly, no real other place to put it without bringing out the thought police, so I put it here....for congenial conversation.       Since its not Sports and its just a way for Fordham faithful to remember the days of wine and roses.....especially before Vietnam and before the JFK assassination.

If "no other real place to put it", then don't put it on this forum.  Fairly simple in my eyes.
Report Spam   Logged

77SunsetStrp
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 12:48:07 pm »

If "no other real place to put it", then don't put it on this forum.  Fairly simple in my eyes.

Your youth and eastern bias are showing.  Evil

Its about food, travel, americana.....like this thread is about.  Watch the videos.     Learn something.    And is about a movie and television star who delighted many people.     

I think it works here just fine, thank you very much.    And its relevant to a lot of the old timers on this board.

Report Spam   Logged
JCMB
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2015, 01:10:23 pm »

Your youth and eastern bias are showing.  Evil

Its about food, travel, americana.....like this thread is about.  Watch the videos.     Learn something.    And is about a movie and television star who delighted many people.     

I think it works here just fine, thank you very much.    And its relevant to a lot of the old timers on this board.

Asking a question... travel and americana - yes.  But where does food come into the show?
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2015, 03:33:25 pm »

There is a fabulous History Channel Documentary on Modern Marvels, the construction and creation of Route 66, which depicts the entire project, its many iconic foodstops, towns, and Americana.

For history buffs, its a must.....especially American History buffs.     Powerful stuff there.   

Its a lengthy program but fabulous.   

Btw, the theme song from the television show was different than the song about Route 66 itself, which I imagine was a copyright infringement matter and decided not to play it.     

Another iconic song......

The best versions of this classic song are either Asleep at the Wheel's studio version, or their first live version.

Report Spam   Logged
DaggerJohn
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2015, 06:12:16 pm »

Your youth is showing.  It's about food, travel, Americana, is about a movie and television star who delighted many people, and, is relevant to a lot of old timers on this board.  Watch the videos.  Learn something.  I think it works here just fine.  Thank you very much. 
Yep, ... fairly simple in my eyes !
Report Spam   Logged
DaggerJohn
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2015, 06:15:57 pm »

Sheeeesh,... what a grouch !
 - Art Carney as Ed Norton The Honeymooners October 1, 1955 - September 22, 1956.  Again, ... before your time. 

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: