fordhamfans.com
August 23, 2017, 01:28:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Patriot League Football Tiebreaking Procedure 2015

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Patriot League Football Tiebreaking Procedure 2015  (Read 905 times)
joea
Junior

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2015, 10:44:06 am »

http://www.patriotleague.org/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/081308aad.html

Patriot League Tie-Breaking Procedure For The NCAA Automatic Qualifier
In the case of ties in the final standings for regular-season League play, the following process will be used until all ties are broken and the seeding process is completed (ties will be broken in rank order beginning with the highest seed):

If a tie exists, the higher seed will go to the team that won the most head-to-head League contest(s) played against the other team(s) involved in the tie.

ii.   If a tie still exists, a comparison of League records will be made between the tied institutions starting at the highest seed and continuing through the lowest seed, if necessary.

iii.   If a tie still exists, a comparison of records against common out-of-league opponents will be made;

v.   If a tie still exists, a committee consisting of the athletics directors of each of the institutions not involved in the tie will make a final decision. The committee should consider various factors including, but not limited to, the following examples. Note: the examples are listed in no particular order:

a).   strength of schedule
b).   overall record
c).   computer rankings
d).   performance during second half of season

The committee will meet immediately following the conclusion of the final game of the season's final weekend. A majority vote of the members of the committee will be needed to determine the champion.

The winner of the tiebreaker in the Patriot League for football earns the League's automatic bid to the NCAA Division I Football Championship.

Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 10:59:00 am »

Thanks, joea!
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 12:47:31 pm »

http://www.patriotleague.org/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/081308aad.html

v.   If a tie still exists, a committee consisting of the athletics directors of each of the institutions not involved in the tie will make a final decision. The committee should consider various factors including, but not limited to, the following examples. Note: the examples are listed in no particular order:

a).   strength of schedule
b).   overall record
c).   computer rankings
d).   performance during second half of season

The committee will meet immediately following the conclusion of the final game of the season's final weekend. A majority vote of the members of the committee will be needed to determine the champion.

The winner of the tiebreaker in the Patriot League for football earns the League's automatic bid to the NCAA Division I Football Championship.

good stuff.  thanks joea.  Looks like a Lehigh and Fordham win this weekend would produce the odd scenario of a 3 way tie that would pass through the first three tiebreaker procedures and land on that committee.  I know many have already posted on that but good to see it actually confirmed for certain.  It also looks to me like we are a slam dunk for a, b and c of the decision tree for that final tiebreaker but d is where we are wanting and it makes me wonder if that's enough for the committee to give it to either 'Gate or Lehigh? 

I do believe that they will want to find a way to give the spot to a full member v an associate one and I also think the idea that we may get the at large on our own will play into it as well.  Hopefully we will get the at large spot since I'm assuming we won't get any favors from the committee. 

There's always the chance that Bucknell knocks off 'Gate the final week or Lafayette knocks off Lehigh.  Not counting on either but certainly Bucknell has more of a shot imo. 
Report Spam   Logged
shortshot
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 12:55:54 pm »

good stuff.  thanks joea.  Looks like a Lehigh and Fordham win this weekend would produce the odd scenario of a 3 way tie that would pass through the first three tiebreaker procedures and land on that committee.  I know many have already posted on that but good to see it actually confirmed for certain.  It also looks to me like we are a slam dunk for a, b and c of the decision tree for that final tiebreaker but d is where we are wanting and it makes me wonder if that's enough for the committee to give it to either 'Gate or Lehigh? 

I do believe that they will want to find a way to give the spot to a full member v an associate one and I also think the idea that we may get the at large on our own will play into it as well.  Hopefully we will get the at large spot since I'm assuming we won't get any favors from the committee. 

There's always the chance that Bucknell knocks off 'Gate the final week or Lafayette knocks off Lehigh.  Not counting on either but certainly Bucknell has more of a shot imo. 
Unfortunately there is also a chance the Hoyas will knock us off. Our Rams just have to play their game & get the job done, not worry about the post season. I think the bye week at the end of the season hurt us in league play- i.e., Chase and other players banged up. But, if we make the post season, that could be a big advantage.
Report Spam   Logged
ace93
Arbitrary and Capricious Administrator
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 01:01:50 pm »

good stuff.  thanks joea.

I posted this 3 times, suggested to joea that he start a new thread with it and he gets the thanks?  I see how things work around here!  Evil

Grin

If both Fordham and Lehigh win this weekend, we would want to root for Lehigh on the final weekend so that the 3-way tie remains, unless Colgate loses.
Report Spam   Logged

Nothing replaces success in the revenue sports.  Nothing.  That's not to take away from the success in the Olympic sports - they do matter.  It isn't a replacement for success in the flagship sports. - Debbie Yow, AD - NC State
FUCoP69
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 03:01:51 pm »

I posted this 3 times, suggested to joea that he start a new thread with it and he gets the thanks?  I see how things work around here!  Evil

No good deed goes unpunished, ace.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Fordham: The oldest and winningest NCAA Division I baseball program.
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 03:01:53 pm »

Like you really needed a reminder that being the moderator was a thankless job? Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
PA Ram
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 04:16:01 pm »

Grin

If both Fordham and Lehigh win this weekend, we would want to root for Lehigh on the final weekend so that the 3-way tie remains, unless Colgate loses.

ha!  sorry about that.  just spreading the love I guess.

Good correction on the Lehigh v Lafayette game.  thanks
Report Spam   Logged
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 06:38:06 pm »

God love ya Joe and Ace for posting this info and understanding it. This sort of stuff makes my teeth itch.

Just tell me when game time is and who we're playing . . .  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 06:51:53 pm »

I'm thinking "Rock, Paper, Scissors" is easier and no less fair.
Report Spam   Logged
JimboCBA72
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 09:35:43 am »

I understand the Frosh QB for LU has been, and will remain, the starter even though Shafnisky is healthy.  If you remember, Shaf went out vs Rams.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 10:30:16 pm »

Are bribes frowned upon?  Evil
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: