fordhamfans.com
October 17, 2017, 04:41:30 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Arthur Avenue Restaurants

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arthur Avenue Restaurants  (Read 3561 times)
Chicago Ram
Junior

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2016, 09:31:58 pm »

I am coming in for the Big East tournament ( besides teaching at DePaul, it's on my good friend's bucket list - he's dying of pancreatic cancer). So - since we are in the city - what places would the esteemed members of the board recommend for a real Arthur Ave experience? I haven't been back in a while, so i don't know what is one or closed anymore.

A side note: I'm staying at the Bryant Park Hotel - which was the old American Standard Building - the significance? My father spent his entire business career there, working up fro the mailroom to head of import/export until his death in 1975. My Mother moved from their Pittsburgh office to that NY, office, met my dad, and the rest is history.

Thanks in advance -

Dan
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 09:39:25 pm »

I am coming in for the Big East tournament ( besides teaching at DePaul, it's on my good friend's bucket list - he's dying of pancreatic cancer). So - since we are in the city - what places would the esteemed members of the board recommend for a real Arthur Ave experience? I haven't been back in a while, so i don't know what is one or closed anymore.

A side note: I'm staying at the Bryant Park Hotel - which was the old American Standard Building - the significance? My father spent his entire business career there, working up fro the mailroom to head of import/export until his death in 1975. My Mother moved from their Pittsburgh office to that NY, office, met my dad, and the rest is history.

Thanks in advance -

Dan

My suggestions are Tra Di Noi or Roberto's. And there's always Dominick's, the old stand-by.

Enjoy the visit.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 09:43:20 pm »

Ditto on Tra Di Noi, then Egidios for desert.

Sorry about your bud, prayers are for him.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
RickFC77
Junior

Where was Lembo when I needed him?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 10:54:24 pm »

I have only eaten at Mario's and Rigeletto's and would recommend both.
Report Spam   Logged

“Hail men of Fordham hail."
fordham81
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 11:26:52 pm »

Zero Otto Nove is Roberto's other place- I have never had a less than great meal there. The house Cab is also outstanding.
Report Spam   Logged
ZonaRam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 12:05:36 am »

I also recommend Tra Di Noi.  Marco usually has some wonderful daily specials.

When I graduated from Fordham, I went to work for Arthur Young and the first client I was assigned to was American Standard.  The building is a classic.
Report Spam   Logged
ram it 66
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 06:42:03 am »

I'd recommend Frankie and Johnny's Pine restaurant on Bronxdale Avenue. It's a short drive east and, IMHO, better food, service and experience with free valet parking.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 07:30:13 am »

All of the above are great but dominicks is my favorite and provides a much different experience than the traditional or fancier restaruants. No menus and family style seating. The prices always seem to end up on the moderate side too to don't worry when you're ordering blind.
Report Spam   Logged
fletch
Waterboy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 07:40:32 am »

Love Dominicks and Rigoletto's as well, both great with big parties.  My other recommendation especially if you have visitors who are new to Fordham or the area is to take them to the Arthur Ave Retail Market.  They have a bunch of stalls/merchants selling cheese, meats etc plus loved watching ad talking to the cigar makers.  Finally, had no idea they had a bar in the middle of the market where we enjoyed a cold beverage while chatting to a great  mix of neighbors, tourists and Fordham folks.
Report Spam   Logged
An Old Coach
Raging Lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 10:09:02 am »

Many good choices but you never go wrong at Dominick's. 
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 10:26:17 am »

Love Dominicks and Rigoletto's as well, both great with big parties.  My other recommendation especially if you have visitors who are new to Fordham or the area is to take them to the Arthur Ave Retail Market.  They have a bunch of stalls/merchants selling cheese, meats etc plus loved watching ad talking to the cigar makers.  Finally, had no idea they had a bar in the middle of the market where we enjoyed a cold beverage while chatting to a great  mix of neighbors, tourists and Fordham folks.

They actually have a great selection of craft beers at this bar too. Solid spot!
Report Spam   Logged
fordham81
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 11:37:54 am »

They actually have a great selection of craft beers at this bar too. Solid spot!

You can get your libations at the bar (Beer from the Bronx Brewery) and order food from the deli's surrounding the bar. Tables have menu's and waitress service outside of bar....
Report Spam   Logged
VTRAM
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 12:18:23 pm »

Roberto's is the best, Their Fusilli with Seafood in Foil Entree is one of the best meals I have eaten (many times). Just ate there last week and it was amazing.
Report Spam   Logged
jimbo65
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 03:11:09 pm »

Rigoletto's is my personal choice but I end to be a creature of habit.  The food is excellent, the price moderate and they have their own attended parking lot.
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 09:39:12 pm »

Emilia's and order the Veal Saltimbocca. It is excellent.

It is a few steps from the Municipal Parking lot and diagonally opposite the Retail Market, which I, too, recommend. Go down the right aisle to the long counter in the rear and buy some Pecorino cheese from Tuscany plus the more expensive Prosciutto. Then stop next door for a loaf of Arthur Avenue bread from Madonia Bakery. Pick up some Olive Oil at the corner deli and mix the next day.

Oh, did I mention the Veal Saltimbocca at Emilia's with a glass of their house Chianti?     Wink

Go Bears!
Report Spam   Logged
fordham77
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2016, 06:45:59 pm »

Yes, Emelia's....OSSOBUCCO and lots of house red.  Or, Zero Otto Nove...everything is good.  The Pines is fine, but it's Morris Park, not the genuine Arthur Ave experience.

So sorry to hear about your friend, my doctor just lost his brother to pancreatic cancer last week.  Adding all four of you to my prayers.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2016, 08:09:59 pm »

If you run out of time and can't make it to Via Arturo, Patsy's is great.  I'm been disappointed several times in the Manhattan Little Italy, the Chinese is much better. I like Gallaghers Steak house as well.

You should come and see Fordham in Brooklyn if you can.  Wink

Cocktails: the Campbell apartment in GCT. Marriott Marquis overlooking Times Square,
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
DCRam
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2016, 11:02:30 am »

I cast my vote for Dominick's as well. I like throwing 2 or 3 requests to the waiter until I get a yes. And the beer hall seating makes for its own fun.

Nice you are taking your friend to the Big East Tournament. It is one helluva party. Been years since I attended, but I recall all the bars around the Garden were madhouses. Just pick one and join the fun.

Great trip. Have fun with your buddy.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2016, 12:23:56 pm »

Thanks in advance -

Dan

Sorry to hear about your friend...

Some other options for you guys since you'll be attending the games. The Food in MSG is actually pretty darn good. Various spots that are offshoots of some of NYC's top restaurants/chefs. There is a Jean Georges booth that makes a great chicken sandwich and a Momofuku just opened up in the garden as well.

The Pennsy right outside the garden is a pretty cool spot if you want to eat before you make your way into the game. http://www.thepennsy.nyc/

There is a bar in the basement of the Bryant Park Hotel that has a pretty cool atmosphere.

I always recommend Parm to anyone staying in the city or looking for a good meal. not pricey at all and the food is great. I always go to the UWS location.
Report Spam   Logged
vinnys
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2016, 04:41:41 pm »

if you are into seafood, there is a restaurant called Tracks in Penn Station, located next to the Long Island Railroad ticket windows

not fancy   very good raw bar and seafood menu 
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2016, 04:53:40 pm »

And for the best steakhouse in NYC, Peter Lugar in Brooklyn is the place to go, but bring cash. No credit cards accepted.
Report Spam   Logged
PhillyNY
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2016, 09:27:30 am »

And for the best steakhouse in NYC, Peter Lugar in Brooklyn is the place to go, but bring cash. No credit cards accepted.

Excellent choice, Joe. But I'll always be a Gallagher's man.
Report Spam   Logged
SIram
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2016, 10:10:27 am »

Excellent choice, Joe. But I'll always be a Gallagher's man.

Have to disagree with and side with Joe, Peter Luger's is the best, Gallagher's is OK but they have fallen in the quality of their food and even for a steakhouse in NYC they have gotten expensive when you look at the quality of the food you receive
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2016, 11:19:09 am »

Have to disagree with and side with Joe, Peter Luger's is the best, Gallagher's is OK but they have fallen in the quality of their food and even for a steakhouse in NYC they have gotten expensive when you look at the quality of the food you receive

Prefer Wolfgangs or Smith and Wolly's myself. Sure, Lugars is great but so are the other two spots and there's less attitude.
Report Spam   Logged
fordham81
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2016, 01:06:15 pm »

Found a great place to eat near MSG last week- food outstanding- kitchen a little slow- OCabanon,  245 W 29th St, New York, NY . Between 7th and 8th.
Report Spam   Logged
tuckertomm
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2016, 01:40:38 pm »

Prefer Wolfgangs or Smith and Wolly's myself. Sure, Lugars is great but so are the other two spots and there's less attitude.
If your referring to waitstaff, it may be because of tip pooling which is what they did years ago not sure about today. Your server could be an old curmudgeon who has seen too much creamed spinach for his liking. The reputation of Lugers fills their cup.
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2016, 02:58:18 pm »

Supposedly a few Lugers chefs and Maitre D opened a place in Manhattan, they take credit. You can open a charge card at Lugers. I've heard muggers wait outside the ATM across the street. 😁
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2016, 02:59:37 pm »

Supposedly a few Lugers chefs and Maitre D opened a place in Manhattan, they take credit. You can open a charge card at Lugers. I've heard muggers wait outside the ATM across the street.

Wolfgangs
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2016, 03:00:03 pm »

Does anyone think a Boutique Hotel in Belmont would do well?
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
PhillyNY
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2016, 04:40:52 pm »

Been a few years since I have been to Gallagher's. Sad news SI. Especially since Gallagher's holds so many great memories for me. As my wife has told me on many occasions, our NYC doesn't exist anymore.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: