fordhamfans.com
September 21, 2017, 07:00:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Arthur Avenue Restaurants

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arthur Avenue Restaurants  (Read 3544 times)
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2016, 05:05:13 pm »

Ditto, PhillyNY, Gallagher's was a solid performer years ago. During the 60's & 70's, the Fordham Advertising Club, consisting of scores of alumni in the advertising, broadcasting and publishing fields met monthly in the second-floor dining room from September - May. I still remember their great St. Patrick's Day luncheons. One year, an alum ran a Bingo game with the winner receiving a free trip for two to Ireland. Aer Lingus stewardesses (flight attendants today) were there to promote the trip. What none of us knew was that the alum, who was calling the numbers, had distributed duplicates of three or four "fixed" Bingo cards, and as a result, about 85 alumni stood up at the same time and shouted BINGO!. For three seconds, as the alum, raced out of the room into the kitchen and out the back door, all the guests stood dumbfounded with their jaws open. Everyone quickly realized that we all had been had and pandemonium resulted. People couldn't stop laughing for five minutes and all agreed that it was the best group con job, any of us had ever experienced. I wish I could recall the name of the perpetrator but if I'm not mistaken, he was the VP Sales for WGN-TV in NYC and a terrific guy.

Great steaks, terrific onion rolls and wonderful memories…but for a great meal in 2016, I still recommend Peter Lugar's. Consider the waiters part of the entertainment and cachet.      Wink   
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2016, 05:17:34 pm »

Wolfgangs

http://wolfgangssteakhouse.net/parkave/

There is a Peter Lugers on Long Island as well.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2016, 08:41:44 pm »

Ditto, PhillyNY, Gallagher's was a solid performer years ago. During the 60's & 70's, the Fordham Advertising Club, consisting of scores of alumni in the advertising, broadcasting and publishing fields met monthly in the second-floor dining room from September - May. I still remember their great St. Patrick's Day luncheons. One year, an alum ran a Bingo game with the winner receiving a free trip for two to Ireland. Aer Lingus stewardesses (flight attendants today) were there to promote the trip. What none of us knew was that the alum, who was calling the numbers, had distributed duplicates of three or four "fixed" Bingo cards, and as a result, about 85 alumni stood up at the same time and shouted BINGO!. For three seconds, as the alum, raced out of the room into the kitchen and out the back door, all the guests stood dumbfounded with their jaws open. Everyone quickly realized that we all had been had and pandemonium resulted. People couldn't stop laughing for five minutes and all agreed that it was the best group con job, any of us had ever experienced. I wish I could recall the name of the perpetrator but if I'm not mistaken, he was the VP Sales for WGN-TV in NYC and a terrific guy.

Great steaks, terrific onion rolls and wonderful memories…but for a great meal in 2016, I still recommend Peter Lugar's. Consider the waiters part of the entertainment and cachet.      Wink   

Great story, Joe.
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2016, 08:47:43 pm »

My favorite steakhouse in NYC is Keen's, hands down. Best atmosphere, best classic NYC history and best steaks. Their Dover Sole is also world class. And they have the best bar in the city.

http://www.keens.com

Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2016, 08:58:23 pm »

RB, Keen's = great Mutton Chops as I recall, correct?

Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2016, 10:26:00 pm »

Yes, Keens is very good.

Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2016, 10:34:04 pm »

RB, Keen's = great Mutton Chops as I recall, correct?

Yes, Joe. Where can you find Mutton Chops on a menu these days? A NYC gem.
Report Spam   Logged
NYRam07
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2016, 08:14:08 am »

My favorite steakhouse in NYC is Keen's, hands down. Best atmosphere, best classic NYC history and best steaks. Their Dover Sole is also world class. And they have the best bar in the city.

http://www.keens.com

The bar at Keens is truly one of a kind. Really cool spot to have a drink. Their bourbon & whiskey list is fantastic as well.

You could ask 10 people what they think the "best" steakhouse in NY is and you could easily get 10 answers all of which could be correct on any given night. Bowery Meat Company is another one that is fantastic. You can't go wrong with any of the above mentioned spots.

Best meal I ever had was at Wolfgangs. Second best was at Old Homestead. The meatballs at Old Homestead are game changing.
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2016, 08:19:59 am »

The bar at Keens is truly one of a kind. Really cool spot to have a drink. Their bourbon & whiskey list is fantastic as well.

You could ask 10 people what they think the "best" steakhouse in NY is and you could easily get 10 answers all of which could be correct on any given night. Bowery Meat Company is another one that is fantastic. You can't go wrong with any of the above mentioned spots.

Best meal I ever had was at Wolfgangs. Second best was at Old Homestead. The meatballs at Old Homestead are game changing.

+1. All true.
Report Spam   Logged
joea
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2016, 08:32:41 am »

Maloney and Porcelli has a great crackling pork shank to go along with the normal fare, plus there is a large statue of a ram on a pedestal in the bar, as Mr. Porcelli graduated from Fordham.
He is also a director of the Smith & Wollensky group.
This I learned from the bartender.
Report Spam   Logged
Ramon
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2016, 09:46:44 am »

Maloney and Porcelli has a great crackling pork shank to go along with the normal fare, plus there is a large statue of a ram on a pedestal in the bar, as Mr. Porcelli graduated from Fordham.
He is also a director of the Smith & Wollensky group.
This I learned from the bartender.

Joseph Porcelli FCLC Class of 74
Report Spam   Logged

“You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.”
― Daniel Patrick Moynihan
tuckertomm
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2016, 11:32:37 am »

Joe your Gallagher's story is wonderful. Know how to get an 85 year old woman to swear? Just yell BINGO! Keen's is where we had a meet and greet for Whittenberg great place worth a visit just for the ambiance alone not to mention the food. "Give me back my mutton joint" Friar Tuck
Report Spam   Logged
Chicago Ram
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2016, 08:25:02 pm »

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations and the stories; not sure if we'll make it to Arthur Avenue - but there will be a 70/early80's WFUV reunion on Sunday at Arthur ave. which I will have to miss ( having a reunion with grade school buddies and telling lies).

And Sunday night will be Peter Luger's - in Great Neck with Mom - the last time we were there may have been my confirmation ( which had to be around 1970).

Dan
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2016, 10:38:44 pm »

Chicago Ram, have a great weekend but for all the recommendations, how about sharing your review
of Peter Lugar's in Great Neck. I wonder how it compares with the original.
Report Spam   Logged
fordham77
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2016, 09:17:45 am »

. . . Peter Luger's - in Great Neck with Mom -

Took my Mom there several years ago. She said..Oh, this is very nice.  I said, No, you're missing the whole Peter Luger experience - - - these waiters are being nice to us!
Report Spam   Logged
SteveMcGarrett
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2016, 06:55:09 pm »

FYI: This thread has been a real education for me. Most of the restaurants I had never heard of. I notated the names, and will try to visit them on trips to NYC. Muchas gracias!
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2016, 09:27:26 pm »

Steve, since you're going to make the rounds, if you like Japanese food, try Hasaki on East 9th Street between Second & Third Avenue. Astor Place subway stop is closest one.

In addition to the Sushi, which is excellent, try the Negamaki (thin marinated rolled beef with scallions inside); Ohitashi (Spinach and spinach wrapped in seaweed); Agadashi (SP?) Tofu; the Miso soup, and their hot house saki. Everyone I've taken there loves it. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 09:45:18 pm by joesunfish » Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2016, 09:29:42 pm »

Steve, since you're going to make the rounds, if you like Japanese food, try Hasaki on East 9th Street between Second & Third Avenue. Astor Place subway stop is closest one.

In addition to the Sushi, which is excellent, try the Negamaki (thin marinated rolled beef with scallions inside); Ohitashi (Spinach and spinach wrapped in seaweed); Agadashi (SP?) Tofu; the Miso soup, and their hot house saki. Everyone I've taken here loves it. Enjoy!

Good call, Joe.
Report Spam   Logged
joesunfish
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2016, 09:47:36 pm »

The thread has taken a detour off Arthur Avenue but hopefully, Chicago Ram and Ace won't mind.     Wink
Report Spam   Logged
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2016, 09:51:25 pm »

Back to the point - if you haven't tried Tra Da Noi, do yourself a favor.
Report Spam   Logged
Chicago Ram
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2016, 10:17:40 pm »

In addition to the Sushi, which is excellent, try the Negamaki (thin marinated rolled beef with scallions inside); Ohitashi (Spinach and spinach wrapped in seaweed); Agadashi (SP?) Tofu; the Miso soup, and their hot house saki. Everyone I've taken there loves it. Enjoy!

I don't mind Joe - just means I need to come home more!!!
Report Spam   Logged
ZonaRam
Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2016, 12:25:12 am »

+1  Have a meal there every time I come back for a visit.  As mentioned in an earlier post, order any of the daily specials that Marco has on the board that day.  You won't be dissapointed.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott W 86
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2016, 07:27:37 am »

+1 .... they serve a 'smoked' pasta served in foil. It's a creative and delish dish. The minestrone is excellent also.
Report Spam   Logged
SteveMcGarrett
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2016, 10:57:01 am »

And for the best steakhouse in NYC, Peter Lugar in Brooklyn is the place to go, but bring cash. No credit cards accepted.

Peter Lugar received a good endorsement in today's NY Times......... from a Fordham rival (ha! ha!)

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/13/nyregion/how-barryrohrssen-a-basketball-coach-spends-his-sundays.html?_r=0
Report Spam   Logged
fordham77
Sophomore

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2016, 01:28:54 pm »

So, Chicago, how was Peter L on Northern Blvd.?

Also, 55 year old coach has a 33 year old fiance . . . talk about recruiting!
Report Spam   Logged
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2016, 08:27:14 pm »

Telling colleagues about TDN, the Rao's of the Bronx.
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
RickFC77
Junior

Where was Lembo when I needed him?

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2016, 11:21:49 pm »

Went to Arthur Ave. last night for dinner. We had wanted to go to Rigaletto's but they were closed for vacation.  We went to Tra Di Noi largely based on comments on this thread. Thanks to all, we had a great meal and time. The atmosphere  was very relaxing and we were never rushed. Would recommend it to all.
Report Spam   Logged

“Hail men of Fordham hail."
xtey92a
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2016, 06:16:53 pm »

Don't tell everyone! Let's keep this in the Family!😜
Report Spam   Logged

#GoRamsGo!
rambacker
Hall of Famer

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2016, 08:30:28 pm »

Went to Arthur Ave. last night for dinner. We had wanted to go to Rigaletto's but they were closed for vacation.  We went to Tra Di Noi largely based on comments on this thread. Thanks to all, we had a great meal and time. The atmosphere  was very relaxing and we were never rushed. Would recommend it to all.

The best restaurant in the Bronx Little Italy, hands down.
Report Spam   Logged
SteveMcGarrett
Junior

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2016, 12:18:05 pm »

Tra Di Noi is a classic!

Also, I find that you can't go wrong with Mario's: great food, great atmosphere......and a lot of history ............

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/03/15/40-years-later-owners-of-bronx-restaurant-have-no-regrets-in-turning-down-role-in-the-godfather/
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: